Knee pain is proved to be the second most common type of pain after back pain. Knee pain can be due to several reasons, including injury or medical conditions such as arthritis and gout. The symptoms might range from swelling to stiffness and inability to move.
You can use various home remedies to treat knee pain, including turmeric. Turmeric is considered an ancient spice used for centuries in treating different medical conditions.
Turmeric for knee pain is useful as it has anti-inflammatory properties which help reduce pain and stiffness in knee joints. The active component curcumin present in turmeric is effective in reducing inflammation and also helps prevent similar conditions.
Did You Know!
Ways of Using Turmeric for Knee Pain
1. Turmeric in Daily Recipes
While using turmeric(1) as a supplement is the easiest way, naturally using turmeric in your diet also give benefits without any side effects.
How to use?
- With vegetables and meat: Turmeric adds flavor and color to any dish, including chicken salad or baked beans. Add turmeric to any vegetable or dish along with garlic, cumin, and thyme.
- Using in marinating: Adding turmeric to your next marinade is the best way to add the spice to your diet.
- Turmeric Tea: Use it directly in milk, or make a traditional tea and add this spice to get the benefits. In India, turmeric milk is given to those with some injury in the bones.
How much to use?
While turmeric is harmless, it should still be used in limited quantity.
[Also Read: Turmeric For Arthritis Pain]
2. Turmeric Supplements
Traditionally used in Indian households and as Chinese medicine, turmeric is also available as supplements to treat a condition faster.
How to use?
- The supplements available consist of curcumin, which is present in turmeric in small amounts approx. 2 to 9 percent.
- 400 mg to 600 mg capsules are taken generally, three times a day for osteoarthritis.
- It is always recommended to get advice on the dosage of supplements from a health care expert.
How much to use?
- For OA, take 400mg to 600mg capsules, thrice a day. For RA, you can take 500mg two times a day.
- For other conditions, check with your healthcare expert for proper dosage.
[Also Read: Essential Oils for Treating Knee Pain]
Why Turmeric For Knee Pain?
Turmeric is obtained from the root of the turmeric plant. The most active component in turmeric is curcumin, which has anti-inflammatory properties.
These properties help reduce pain, stiffness, and swelling in the knee and improve the ability to move.
The turmeric paste used for knee pain is also an effective way of treating knee pain.
Curcumin blocks the inflammatory enzymes and cytokines and is also proved to modify the immune system. A 2006 study also proves that turmeric can also prevent inflammation in joints.
[Also Read: CBD Oil Benefits for Knee Pain]
What’s Better Way of Using Turmeric?
Although adding turmeric to your dishes is a less harmful way of using curcumin for knee pain, but its low presence in turmeric makes it ineffective in various cases.
Taking supplements of curcumin/turmeric is the better way of usage as it contains a specific amount of curcumin, which helps treat the pain and inflammation in less time.
Knee pain(2) is a common type of pain and can be treated in many ways, including taking supplements or in most severe cases, surgery. Turmeric is being used since ancient times for its medicinal properties for treating various conditions.
The active compound curcumin present in turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties that provide relief in pain and reduces swelling. You can add turmeric in your diet in many ways, including in dishes, milk, or even tea.
Using turmeric as a supplement is more effective as it has more curcumin content. Either way, turmeric is a harmless remedy to treat this condition.
1. How much turmeric should you use for knee pain?
The dose of turmeric for knee pain range from 500 to 2000 mg per day. In diet, the dose advisable is 2,000-2,500 mg per day as only around 3 percent curcumin is present in turmeric.
2. Is turmeric good for knee pain?
Yes, turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties, which helps treat the pain and reduces stiffness. Curcumin is the most active component that is responsible for reducing inflammation.
3. Is it safe to use turmeric?
Turmeric, when taken in considerable amounts, is safe to use for knee pain. High doses may upset your stomach and act as a blood thinner. People with gallbladder diseases and pregnant women should avoid the use of turmeric.