Your knee(patella) is one of the hardest working joints in your body, so its no wonder most of you will experience knee pain at some point of your lives. Surprised? Well here are a few eye-opening facts about how to stop knee pain with these five unusual ways. In this article, we shall look at how to relieve knee pain in a natural way.
Five Natural Ways knee pain
What is a knee pain?
Knee pain is a tinge of pain or inflammation in the knee joint. It’s important to know whether there is any swelling after knee joint or any associated pain that’s going further down the leg to know what is knee pain. If your knee pain is neither resolving nor not settling with persistent locking, catching or giving way, then there’s something significant happening in the knee joint and the main question arises “How to relieve knee pain?” Read on and find out.
What are the knee pain symptoms?
- Pain, typically once you bend or straighten the knee (including once you go downstairs)
- Trouble putting weight on the knee
- Problems moving your knee
- Knee buckling or “locking”
What are the Knee pain causes?
Knee pain may occur due to various reasons, and some are –
- Injury, like a damaged ligament or torn animal tissue
- Medical conditions such as inflammatory disease, gout, and infections also can cause knee pain
How to relieve knee pain with these 5 amazing natural remedies?
1. How to treat knee pain with some astonishing foods?
If you are wondering what to do for knee pain. Here are few best natural foods that can relieve the knee pain to some extent-
Brussels sprouts, Broccoli, and cabbage
How to use?
- Take all the three ingredients and cut them into small pieces
- In a bowl take one tablespoon soya sauce, one teaspoon honey, and ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- Take a big bowl and mix all the ingredients and sprinkle salt and pepper
- You can customize this salad with other nuts and fruits as per your liking
Benefits- All the three greens in this salad have abundant sulforaphane that helps to slow down the damage that osteoarthritis does to the joints.
How to use?
- Take it as first thing in the morning by chewing 2-3 cloves of garlic and drink water over it
- You can crush fresh garlic and mix it to your dishes
- Alternatively, you can dry roast and make a powder of garlic to sprinkle on your dishes
Benefits- Garlic is rich in a compound called as Diallyl disulfide that aids in combat diseases including arthritis knee pain and others.
Foods to eat
These foods help to relieve knee pain and arthritis pain effectively.
- Tart cherries
Foods to avoid
Avoid these foods as they may aggravate your pain.
- Foods with mono-sodium glutamate
2. How to relieve knee pain by herbal treatment?
How to use?
- Add a pinch of turmeric into milk and boil the two
- Strain the milk and add a little honey to it
- Drink it hot with slow sips before going to bed
Benefits- Turmeric is one of the best anti-inflammatory herb known to mankind. It has curcumin that boosts your health naturally and relieves any pain caused due to an inflammation or chronic knee pain soon.
Apply Eucalyptus on the knee pain area
How to use?
- Take some fresh eucalyptus leaves, add it in a grinder with little water
- Grind it to make a thick paste
- Apply it all over your knees and cover it up with a cotton cloth
- Keep it till it dries and use a heating pad to warm your knees with it
- Then wash your knees with warm water
- Repeat it as required
Benefits- Do you know how to relieve knee pain with eucalyptus? Well eucalyptus is readily available in markets. It is used in topical oil extracts and oral medications for many conditions. The leaves of eucalyptus contain tannins that are helpful to reduce swelling and the pain that causes arthritis. Eucalyptus in its topical form gets used to treat arthritis knee pain, back of knee pain and the most common knee pain and swelling.
Precautions- If you feel irritation or itching sensation over your knees with turmeric or eucalyptus, then wash it off and avoid these remedies.
3. How to use essential oils for knee pain?
How to relieve knee pain by mixing oils?
Different essential oils can be mixed to produce enhanced or more varied effects such as lavender, juniper, basil, and rosemary essential oils in a ratio of 3:3:2:2 diluting with 100 ml of coconut oil. Let’s see how to relieve knee pain with this mixed essential oil for sudden knee pain.
How to use?
- Mix the oils mentioned above in a bowl
- Fill it in a glass bottle for easy storage
- Take adequate amount of this oil mix and massage your knees thoroughly
- Wipe it off with a warm and damp cloth
- Repeat it for two weeks for better results
- Mix the oil in the bath salt or add the oil directly to warm bath
Benefits- These essential oils are rich in anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. This mix helps a great deal to sooth the nerves, and a regular massage reduces the inner knee pain and reduces fatigue after the fourth week.
Precautions- Essential oils go bad on sensitive skin, hence always take a patch test before applying it all over.
4. How to relieve knee pain with various home remedies?
The various home remedies for knee pain and how to cure them involves the “RICE” therapy. Let’s see how to relieve knee pain with this RICE therapy and what RICE stands for
How to use?
- Make a cold compress or put some ice in a bag and apply to the knee in pain
- Frozen/iced vegetables like peas may also help if you do not have ice
- While taking rest, keep the foot elevated to prevent the lateral knee pain
Benefits- These steps work directly on enhancing the blood circulation into your knees, and ice compression helps to reduce inflammation.
Do not use this remedy in winter season or if you catch a cold and flu soon.
[Read: How to Treat a Sprained Ankle]
5. How to relieve knee pain by natural treatment?
How to fix knee pain with different knee pain exercises?
Squatting at home
Knee pain when squatting may occur by overuse of knees in sports, injury, or muscle imbalances. The patella is your kneecap, gets damaged, and you feel pain around the kneecap while running, jumping, kneeling, or squatting. Let’s see how to relieve knee pain with these proper squatting exercises.
How to perform?
- Take a chair or a work surface and hold on to it for support
- Squat down till the big toe gets covered with your kneecap
- Stand again
- Repeat it ten times
- When you improve try to squat a bit more
- Don’t try to bend the knees ahead of a right angle
How to relieve knee pain using supplements?
How to relieve knee pain with supplements is a well-searched question. Your body needs extra nutrition to fight the knee pain. Hence, it is necessary to provide these nutrients with proper supplements. The recommended supplements are-
- Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate
- Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids (PUFAs)
- Avocado Soybean Unsaponifiable (ASU)
- Omega 3 fatty acid
- Vitamin D
Other conventional ways to treat knee pain
Stretches for knee pain
Sometimes you may develop knee pain running symptoms at the front of the knee or around the knee, or behind the kneecap. The ache may be dull, or it could be sharp and severe.
- Bend your prime leg, so your foot goes back towards your bottom, then hold it there with your hand and keep both the knees together
- Hold the stretch for a minimum of forty-five seconds, breathing deeply and feeling the stretch within the thigh
- Repeat this around six times a day
Precautions and side effects
- While consuming any food, it is necessary to consult your doctor because some grains and fruits may not be advisable in certain medical conditions
- While applying anything on skin be sure to test yourself for allergies like before using topical eucalyptus put a small amount of the product on your forearm. If there isn’t any reaction in 24-48 hours, it is safe to use
- While using essential oils in mixed form, mix those essential oils which are compatible with each other and do not show any side-effects. Always mix essential oils with carrier oils like vegetable oil, coconut oil, etc.
- While performing exercises wrap your knee with a compression bandage to prevent swelling, but not too tightly because it cuts off circulation
- It is advisable not to take any supplement without consulting your doctor
Previous knee injuries, age, knee-straining work and being overweight are the risk factors that contribute to knee pain. You can stop them with these five natural remedies. If your chronic knee pain gets worse as a result of overuse or tends to be painful, practice a few lifestyle changes to treat the pain. Treat yourself with care, incorporate tips for prevention into your routine, and you’ll be back with your favorite activities before you know it. These above mentioned natural remedies will give an insight on how to relieve knee pain safely.