One of the most common musculoskeletal problems which people complain to doctors is Knee Pain. The intensity of Knee pain differs from person to person. Some people would just need rest as a remedy while for some others, surgery is the option.
Using essential oils for knee pain is another option which many people are resorting to these days. This option has no side effects and has proven to be given considerable relief from pain.
Causes of Knee Pain
One cannot state a single reason that leads to knee pain. Many factors may cause knee pain –
- Age factor
- Cold weather conditions
- Injuries related to the leg or knee
- Medical conditions such as gout, osteoarthritis etc.
- Strains and sprains
- Dislocations or fractures
- Lack of movement
- Swelling or stiffness
- General knee weakness
- A warm feeling inside the knee
- Inability to extend the knee
- Popping or cracking noises
- Limping walk
- Fluid retention
- Paralysis/temporary movement because of extreme pain.
Whichessential oils are good for knee pain?
- Basil Essential Oil: Basil oil is considered to be an excellent analgesic and one of the most effective cures for severe knee pain.
- Marjoram essential oil: Majoram oil has got anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing the swelling of the joints. It also reduces the pain.
- Lavender essential oil: Lavender oil is an analgesic and rubbing it can help in relieving one from pain and the hardness in the joints.
- Ginger essential oil: This oil provides relief from the hardness in joints along with the degenerative joint disease.
- Peppermint essential oil: The properties of this oil obtained from the mint family help in curing chronic knee pain.
- Tea tree essential oil: Tea tree oil is one of the most effective essential oils in relieving arthritis/ rheumatism pain in the knee.
- Chamomile essential oil: Chamomile oil is anti-inflammatory. It reduces the swelling and spasms of the joints and hence prevents the pain caused because of them.
- Eucalyptus essential oil: Knee pain cases where the most significant cause of worry is the swelling can be solved by using Eucalyptus oil. It reduces inflammation and helps in providing knee pain relief.
- Chamomile essential oil: Geranium oil is useful in treating chronic knee pain which remains persistently.
Why use essential oils for knee pain?
Many researchers have revealed that the composition of these essential oils has compounds that can provide relief from many of the symptoms of knee pain because of their healing and pain-relieving properties. Most of the knee pains that result from joint injury or inflammation can be alleviated by the topical application of these healing essential oils for knee pain.
The analgesic nature of essential oils helps in providing relief from knee pain. The essential oils for knee pain either have a cooling impact or a warming application. The cooling oils give a cold sensation to the painful areas and hence, numb the pain. The warming oils arm up the area which in turn increases the blood circulation and reduces pain.
How to use essential oils for knee pain?
Essential oils for knee pain can be used in a few ways. One thing we need to figure out is if you need warming oils or cooking oils. Use warming oils for healing knee inflammations and muscle pain while for knee joint pain, use cooling oils to numb the pain.
The oils can be used topically. Massages can be taken after diluting the oils. Aromatherapy is also beneficial in relaxing and reducing the stress, thereby providing comfort.
DOs and DONTs
- Make sure to dilute the oil for topical application.
- Do check your allergies before using any oil.
- Do not use any essential oils without proper consultation of your healthcare expert.
- Do not expose your oils to direct sunlight for long.
DIY essential oil recipes for knee pain
- Ingredients: 4 spoons of Mustard oil, a large onion
Method: Dice the onion then blend it. After this,strain the extract to get fresh onion juice. Add mustard oil and mix the two ingredients. Massage this on your aching knee or joints every night.
- Ingredients:1 cup bath salt blend, three drops lavender oil, four drops rosemary oil, five drops cypress oil, 6 drops peppermint oil
Method: Mix baking soda and salt equal proportions and add the mixture to your bathtub. Add all the oils to it after this. Soak your knee into it for about 15-20 minutes. Repeat this twice a day for best results.
- Application of undiluted essential oils on the skin may cause irritation or allergic reactions.
- Nausea or a headache may develop in some people during aromatherapy.
- Before using essential oils for knee pain, take a skin patch test to make sure that your skin can handle these oils.
- Do not use these oils without consulting your healthcare expert.
Other home remedies for knee pain
- RICE: In case of any injuries or leg twisting or strain, the Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevating (RICE) procedure can be used as a beneficial first aid treatment and for getting relief from sudden knee pain.
- Heat and cold therapy: Rest your knee using a heating pad. This prevents the joint from becoming stiff. Wrapping a gel style cold pack or cool compress around it reduces swelling and pain. Alternate this procedure between cold and hot impacts for the best effects.
Knee pain is a widespread issue among people of all ages. It may result because of many reasons starting from knee injuries and stress to lack of movement and old age. Though pharmaceutical methods may help temporarily, they many times bring negative impacts too.
Using essential oils for knee pain provides relief from nearly all the symptoms of knee pain including swelling and spasms also. The extra benefit is that these oils heal and do not even have many side effects. So, use essential oils for knee pain and feel relieved naturally.