Whether it is during our teenage days or our adulthood, acne affects 80% of people at some point or the other in their lives. What we eat and how we take care of our skin has a significant role to play in the outbreak of acne.
While many people opt for medicine-based treatment for acne, there still a substantial amount of people who like to go for traditional or home remedies to remove the zits. One such remedy that is entirely natural and effectively fights acne is tomatoes.
Tomatoes are loaded with antioxidants—the molecules that are essential for the body to fight free radicals. Free radicals are unstable. Thus, they move freely between cells and damage them to find a balance. The antioxidants found in tomato can efficiently stop the damage causing free radicals at a molecular level.
Furthermore, the highly acidic nature also makes tomato for acne an adequate remedy. When tomato products are applied to the skin, the acids tighten the pores that leak acne-causing oil. This, eventually, also leads to the prevention of acne breakouts.
Tomatoes are also a rich source of essential vitamins such as vitamins A, K, E, B, and C. Most of these vitamins are often a vital ingredient in all prescription as well as over-the-counter medications for acne.
Did You Know?
- Tomatoes can promote heart health. They are loaded with potassium, which is very useful for controlling the heart rate and can prevent heart stroke and disease.
- Tomatoes can also prevent eye diseases. Loaded with vitamin A, thiamine, folates, and many other essential nutrients, tomatoes can cure as well as prevent many eye diseases.
Why Tomato for Acne?
The little red wonder has got a long list of benefits when it comes to fighting acne. So, here are some of the benefits that make tomato for acne an adequate remedy.
- Use and consumption of tomato helps in balancing the pH level of the skin
- Applying tomatoes on skin closes the pores thus, preventing the skin from bacteria, pollution, dirt, and dead skin cells
- The antioxidant found in tomatoes protects the skin from free radicals that cause acne
- Tomatoes can repair the damaged skin
- The repair work at the cellular level makes tomatoes an effective remedy against acne scars also
- Tomatoes are acidic, and that’s how they help in maintaining the oil balance of the skin
- tomato is a natural moisturizer that leaves the skin soft and supple
- Tomato contains vital nutrients such as vitamins A, K, E, B1, B6, and B3. These vitamins fight open pores and rejuvenate the skin
- Tomatoes are also a rich source of iron and potassium that boosts overall health. The presence of these nutrients also reduces the appearance of scars on the skin
- Foods that have a high glycemic index are often considered to be one of the causes of acne. Tomatoes have a low glycemic index. Thus, they promote skin health
- Salicylic acid, found in tomatoes, is a common ingredient that can be found in medicinal products that are used to treat acne. It exfoliates and cleanses the skin thoroughly and thus, helps in maintaining the pH balance of the skin
- Tomatoes also work as natural astringent. Therefore, they play an essential role in preventing aging of the skin and the appearance of fine lines
[Also Read: How to Treat Acne Naturally]
How to Use Tomato for Acne?
The best way to use tomato for acne(1) is to add it into your diet. You can add tomatoes in the form of puree into your curry or grab a glass of tomato juice and gulp it down. However, if that is not how you want to use it, there are several other methods of using tomato to treat acne.
1. DIY Tomato Mask For Acne
Here’s how you can make a face mask from tomatoes:
- Using a blender, make a puree with one tomato
- Apply this puree on your skin directly and let it dry for about 15-20 minutes
- Wash it off using cold water and pat your face dry
- Use this mask daily
- Alternatively, you can also rub tomato slices on your face directly
[Also Read: Benefits of Tomato Juice]
2. Tomato, Lemon Juice, and Oatmeal Mask For Acne
Using this mask will rejuvenate your skin. While the oatmeal(2) will remove the acne-causing toxin, lemon juice and tomato will kill the bacteria responsible for acne breakouts.
- Take a ½ cup of oatmeal and mix it with one tomato and lemon juice in a blender
- Keep blending till you get a smooth mixture
- If you feel the consistency is too thick, add water to the mixture
- Apply the mask to your face directly and let it dry for 20-30 minutes
- Clean it with warm water and pat your face dry
- Use this mask daily
- You can add mint to the mixture if you want to get rid of back acne
[Also Read: Lemon Juice for Acne]
3. Tomato, Tea Tree, Jojoba Oil Mask For Acne
A mixture of these ingredients will not only cure acne, but it will also prevent any future breakouts to a considerable extent.
- Take a ½ tomato and mash it till it becomes smooth
- Add one teaspoon of jojoba and only 5 drops of tea tree oil
- Apply the mixture to your face and let it dry for 10-15 minutes
- Use warm water to wash your face and then pat dry
- For best results, repeat this daily
[Also Read: Jojoba Oil for Acne]
Just like most natural remedies for acne, tomatoes can be beneficial when combined with a healthy diet, ample workout, and a good skincare regime. In addition to applying all the tomato-based face masks, make sure you drink plenty of water, cut down on sugar and carbohydrates, and include lots of proteins and green vegetables in your diet.