Sciatica refers to the immense pain felt along the sciatica nerve, starting from the lower back region and extending down the thighs to the knees.
What leads to Sciatica?
Sciatica often occurs due to herniation of the lumbar disc that presses against the nerve. Apart from this, anything that results in inflammation of the longest nerve of our body causes sciatica.
A few general causes of sciatica pain are:
- Internal bleeds
- Infection of the lumbar spine
- Irritation of the nerve caused by adjacent bones
What are the symptoms of sciatica?
Irrespective of the cause, sciatica is excruciatingly painful and its symptoms are nightmarish, a few of which are listed below.
- Burning and painful sensationcross your legs while sitting in the lower back region to the knees
- Lumbar ache
- Aching hips(1) and legs
- Numbness in the area.
Sciatica is agonizing, but popping chemical pills and drugs to alleviate the throbbing pain is never advisable. Instead follow through with the incredibly effective home remedies for sciaticaelucidated below to cure the pain and breathe free again.
1. Garlic and Milk
Garlic is powerfully therapeutic and anti-inflammatory. It is highly beneficial for health and is one of the most effective natural remedy of pain and inflammation associated with the sciatica nerve.
- Take 10 cloves of garlic, 2 cups of milk and a cup of water in a bowl.
- Stir this and boil it for about 5 minutes.
- Let the mixture simmer down and then strain out the milk.
- When the milk cools down add a tablespoon of honey to sweeten the pungent taste of garlic milk.
- Drink a cup of this garlic milk twice a day and continue for some days. The pain will gradually diminish.
2. Essential Oils for Sciatica:
Essential oils make good remedies for highly effective sciatica massages.
(a) Peppermint Oil
Peppermint is an excellent natural analgesic and possesses remarkable anti-inflammatory properties. It helps to heal sciatica at an accelerated rate by reducing the lower back pain quite effectively and curing the inflammation in the nerve.
- Take 5-6 drops of peppermint oi(1) in a dish and add a tablespoon of coconut oil to it.
- Mix the two oils.
- You can also use jojoba oil instead of coconut oil.
- Apply the mixture of oils to the painful area and massage gently.
- Do this twice daily to cure the pain.
(b) Ginger Oil
The essential oil of ginger is vested with a broad range of health benefits. Oil of ginger is renowned from the ancient times and is considered as a fundamental element of folk medication.
Its analgesic properties soothe sciatica pain quite efficiently. Ginger oil contains a strong constituent named gingerol that is known for its anesthetic properties.
The combination of analgesic and anesthetic effects makes ginger oil one of the best natural remedies for sciatica.
- Take 5-6 drops of ginger oil in a dish and add a tablespoon of coconut oil or jojoba oil to it.
- Mix the oils.
- Apply the mixture of oils to the painful area and massage gently.
- Do this twice daily to cure the pain.
Turmeric contains curcumin that makes it highly beneficial as a natural nerve pain relief and its painful symptoms. Curcumin is known for its excellent analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Take a teaspoon of powdered turmeric and add it to a glass of hot milk.
- Stir well till the turmeric dissolves and the milk turns yellowish.
- Drink the turmeric milk twice daily.
- Another method that is highly effective is making a paste of sesame oil(2) and powdered turmeric.
- Massage the painful area with the paste twice daily until the pain reduces.
Wondering how to relieve sciatica nerve pain with celery? Well, Celery is one of the highly effective natural sciatica nerve pain remedies. Owing to the amazing analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties of celery, it is greatly effectual in curing the inflammation and pain of the sciatic nerve.
- Take a handful of fresh and raw celery and chop it into pieces.
- Add a cup of water to the chopped pieces of celery and put the mixture in the blender.
- Blend the mixture and extract its juice.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to a cup of celery juice and drink this twice a day on a daily basis for the pain and inflammation to heal.
5. Valerian Roots:
Valerian root is an ancient and highly effective natural medicine of sciatica. The antispasmodic properties of the root help in soothing the pain and relaxing the taut muscles around the painful nerve.
The anti-inflammatory properties of valerian roots cure the inflammation of the nerve and effectively heal sciatica.
- Take a teaspoon or two of valerian roots and add it to a cup of water.
- Boil this for about five minutes.
- Strain out the water after the mixture simmers down.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to cup of valerian root water to sweeten the taste.
- Drink a cup of this concoction thrice daily for the pain of sciatica to heal.
Fenugreek contains compounds of petroleum ether that makes it rich in anti-inflammatory properties. Apart from this fenugreek is analgesic in nature. All of this makes it a highly effective sciatica natural treatment.
- Take two teaspoons of powdered fenugreek and add two tablespoons of hot milk to it.
- Make a thick paste by stirring this well.
- Smear this paste all over the painful areas and let the paste dry up for some time.
- Rinse off the dried paste with lukewarm water
- You may also boil a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds with a glass of water and then drink this twice daily for the sciatica to heal.
7. Bark of White Willow:
The bark of white willow contains salicin which has excellent analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties are highly beneficial in treating sciatica pain and inflammation of the nerve.
- Take two teaspoonfuls of the bark of white willow and add it to a cup of water.
- Boil this mixture for about 5 minutes.
- Strain out the liquid after the mixture simmers down.
- Let it cool down and then add a teaspoon of honey to a cup of the white willow bark tea.
- Drink this thrice daily and the throbbing pain will heal.
8. Aloe Vera:
Aloe Vera contains compounds of polysaccharides that lend it incredible healing properties. Besides, Aloe Vera is rich in soothing and anti-inflammatory properties that make it exceedingly effectual in treating the agonizing pain and inflammation of sciatica. Aloe Vera also contains ethanolic extracts which make it a potent cure of sciatica.
- Fill a glass to one fourth of its volume with freshly extracted aloe vera juice.
- Drink this once or twice daily and the pain will heal.
- Cut a few leaves of Aloe Vera to extract its gel.
- Smear the affected region from the lower back area to the knees with a thin film of the Aloe Vera gel.
- Do this once every day for the best results.
The anti-inflammatory and healing properties of horseradish make the vegetable an excellent home remedy for sciatica pain and inflammation.
- Take half a piece of horseradish(3) and grind it to make a thick and smooth paste.
- Smear the painful area along the sciatic nerve with this paste.
- Wrap the area with a clean cloth after applying the paste.
- Do this before going to bed and let this stay for the night.
- Do this daily for the effective treatment of sciatica.
10. Chamomile Tea:
This ancient herb is rich in anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that help to relieve the agonizing pain of sciatica and soothe the inflammation of the sciatic nerve. And is one of the effectual home remedies of nerve pain.
- Have a cup of warm of chamomile tea.
- Take three teaspoons of dried and crushed chamomile herbs in a cup and pour boiling water into it.
- Let this get evenly infused.
- Strain out the liquid and add a tablespoon of honey or a teaspoon of lemon juice for taste.
- Drink this thrice daily to heal sciatica effectively.
Lemon contains Vitamin C that is highly beneficial in remedying sciatica. It also possesses anti-inflammatory properties that heal the inflammation of the sciatic nerve.
- Slice a ripe, fresh and juicy lemon in two and squeeze out all the juice.
- Add two tablespoons of lemon juice to a glass of warm water and stir nicely.
- Drink this lemon-water every morning on an empty stomach right after you wake up every day.
It is immensely effective in chamomile treating pain and inflammation making it excellent sciatica pain relief home remedies. You may add a teaspoon of honey to the lemon water to sweeten the taste. Alternatively,
- Crush a ginger into tiny pieces and add them to a bowl of water.
- Boil this for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Strain out this ginger-water mixture to a cup and add a tablespoon each of honey and lemon juice.
- Drink this thrice a day for a week or so and the pain of sciatica will alleviate.
12. Cold Compress:
This is the simplest and one of the most effective home remedies for sciatic nerve pain and inflammation.
The cold ice constricts the blood vessels leading to the painful area. This reduces the supply of blood to the affected part and as such the swelling decreases.
- Take a few ice cubes and wrap them in a thin cloth or towel.
- Press this ice pack to the painful area with gentle pressure.
- Do this for twenty minutes at a stretch in every alternate hour until the pain disappears which will soon enough.
- Do this daily for a week and the pain will gradually alleviate.
[Read: Cure Quadratus Lumborum Syndrome]
1. How long does it take for sciatic nerve pain to go away?
Sciatica does not last any more than a month or at most two if the symptoms are mild. However, if the symptoms persist for a prolonged period or the pain becomes excessively unbearable you may seek professional medical assistance and treatment.
2. Is heat or cold better for sciatica pain?
Heat or cold compress is highly effective as a natural remedy for sciatica. A cold compress can especially alleviate the pain by curing the inflammation of the sciatica nerve and soothing the sore tissues and muscles around the nerve.
3. How do you sleep with sciatica?
When you are suffering from sciatica it is advisable to lay flat on the back and keep the heels and hips in touch with the bed. Rest your knees on a few pillows for a soft support. Adjust your position accordingly to sleep comfortably.
4. How can I sit with sciatica?
Sit carefully and comfortably to avoid hurting the nerve and the area around it if you are affected by sciatica. Do not cross your legs while sitting.
Position your feet flat on the floor and make sure that they aren’t suspended in the air. Position the hips at an angle of 45 degrees with the knees.
Use a twistable chair that prevents you from turning and twisting your body as that can be quite painful.
5. Is sciatica permanent?
Permanent damage to the sciatic nerve is a very rare medical case. The pain might last long if left untreated but it is almost never permanent.
6. Is sciatica considered a disability?
Sciatica can be considered as a disability under Social Security to avail the benefits offered to disabled citizens. However, this is only as long as you are suffering from it and when supplied with appropriate and authentic evidence.
7. How beneficial is yoga for sciatica?
The yoga posture that is the most beneficial for sciatica pain is hamstring stretching. Yoga postures that range from gentle and generic poses to foundational yoga asanas like standing pose, downward facing do pose and etc will help to align and strengthen your back.