Knee pain is a common problem and excruciatingly painful for millions of people across the globe. Knee pain is one of the most common complaints of Americans of all ages. The causes of knee pain include different types of arthritis, injury, damaged cartilage, age, obesity, and a torn ligament. There are numerous ways to cure the knee pain, but what if we say that great stretches for knee pain can speed up the healing process. Amazed? Keep reading to know to do the essential stretches for knee pain. Go ahead.
Did You Know?
The knee problem is a widespread condition and increases with growing age. The overall prevalence of knee pain in men is 15 to 20 %.
Various Stretches for Knee Pain
1. Straight Leg Lift
- Lie down on your back with one leg bent and other straight
- Lift your leg straight by tightening your thigh muscles slowly up to a foot at a 45-degree angle
- Hold it for 5 seconds
- Slowly lower your leg to the floor and come back to the initial position
- Repeat this for 3-5 times and switch to next leg
Do this five times a day
2. Leg Stretch
- Lie on the ground with your legs extended in front of you
- Bend one knee slowly up towards your chest, sliding your foot along the ground, until you feel a stretch
- Hold for 5 seconds
- Straighten your legs as far as you can and hold for 5 seconds
- Also, you can do a leg stretch on the sofa and use a tea tray or board as a surface to slide your foot along
Do this ten times for each leg in a day
[Also Read: Yoga for Knee Pain]
3. Mini Squat
- Stand erect and hold the back of a chair, with your feet shoulder-width
- Bend your knees slowly to lower body a few inches
- Keep feet flat and don’t let knees go past toes
- Hold for 5-6 seconds
- Slowly tighten your hips as you straighten your knees
Do this regularly for five times in a day
[Also Read: Acupuncture for Knee Pain]
4. Hamstring Stretch
- Lie on your back on the floor with both legs stretched straight in front of you
- Make sure that your feet are not flexed or pointed
- Keep your chest open
- Place your palms on the floor and slide your hands towards the ankles
- You must feel the stretch behind your knees and at the back of your thighs
- Stop sliding when you feel the stretch
- Hold for 15-30 secs
- Relax back to the initial position
Repeat this for 3-5 times a day
[Also Read: Physical Therapies for Knee Pain ]
5. Quadricep Stretch
- For balance hold on to a wall or the back of a chair
- Lift one foot slowly and bring your ankle up toward your back region
- Grasp your ankle with your hand and pull your ankle closer to the body
- Stop bringing the ankle closer when you feel a stretch
- Hold the stretch for 15-30 seconds
Do this 10 times in a day for each leg
[Also Read: Essential Oils for Treating Knee Pain ]
How To Stretch Your Knees?
Stretches for knee pain strengthens the muscles that support your knee. Strong muscles in the hamstrings and quadriceps help the knee joint absorb shock. Knee Stretching exercises(1) the muscles for strength is an essential part of preventing injury.
Stretches build muscle to help support the knee and also tighten the muscles and make them flexible. It increases the blood flow to your knee muscles and improves the performance in physical activities. Also, it increases your flexibility, improves posture, and can calm your mind and body.
Knee stretches are deemed extremely effective. The stretches mentioned above for knee pain can speed up the healing process. These are effective stretches for knee pain and do not cause any harm to your body and knee. You can perform all the stretches by yourself, without any assistance.
The stretches strengthen your knee and increase flexibility. Embrace the remarkable benefits of stretches for knee pain. However, if you feel pain over time, it is essential to contact your health care professional.
1. Why Should You Stretch for Knee Pain?
Stretch for knee pain often increase flexibility and strengthens muscles that support your knee. Stretches tighten your muscles, and strong muscles help absorb shock. Stretches increase the blood flow to the knee muscles and provide faster healing of knee pain.
2. What Are the Most Effective Stretches for Knee Pain?
The most effective stretches for knee pain are hamstring stretch and quadriceps stretch. Doing this multiple times in a day is beneficial to cure knee pain.
3. What Should You Do Before and After Stretches?
Before you start stretching for knee pain, stand straight or lie down, for the stretch you’re are going to perform. Relax your body before you begin any stretch. After stretching, always hold the stretch for a minimum of 5-10 seconds.