Diarrhea is a common medical disorder which affects more than 5 million people every year. Diarrhea is responsible for 4% of all deaths around the world. It is most commonly caused because of gastrointestinal infection which takes on more than 2.2 million people annually. Till the time diarrhea is not serious, a person can keep himself hydrated and wait for the infection to dissipate. But, if a child or an old person is affected with diarrhea, then the situation can be serious. In such cases, special fluids and medicines are required to keep the patient stable and healthy.
Diarrhea is not very common in industrialized cities and areas. In many cases, people are advised to eat probiotic foods. These are the items which have a lot of healthy bacteria and which can fight the harmful ones. They work to suppress the germs and bacteria which cause diarrhea. The Lactic acid bacteria or Lactobacilli is the best-known probiotic that is present in the human body.
If you are wondering how you can treat diarrhea naturally with probiotics, have a look at this article. We have discussed several details regarding probiotics for diarrhea.
Did You Know?
- There are more than 100 trillion probiotics in the human body and only 10 trillion cells.
- The probiotics live throughout our entire body and not only in the stomach or colon.
- The appendix is a useful organ after all because it helps to incubate probiotics in the body.
- Probiotics can effectively fight carcinogenic cells and germs which cause flu or diarrhea.
Most Popular Food With High Probiotics
Here are the top food items which consist of a significant amount of probiotics(1). These items are found easily in the market and you can also make some of them at home.
[Also Read: Benefits of Coconut Oil for Diabetes]
- Yoghurt: The most important source of probiotics in the human body is yoghurt. It actively promotes the growth of probiotics which helps to strengthen the immune system. Yoghurt is comprised of probiotics like Lactic acid bacteria and bifid bacteria. Yoghurt tastes good and also keeps your stomach cool. So these probiotics can enter the stomach and kill the germs which can cause gastrointestinal infection.
- Miso: Miso is a brilliant Japanese preparation of fermented soybean. It is made of the mixture of soybean, rice or barley and salt. Miso incubates a significant amount of probiotics in it which are very useful in eliminating the germs in our body. Aspergillus oryzae is the most important probiotic that you can get by consuming Miso.
- Tempeh: Tempeh is derived when you ferment a soybean(2) and it is an Indonesian delicacy. It has a firm consistency and looks like a patty. Tempeh tastes a lot like a mushroom and is a good option for those who are vegetarian. Probiotics in tempeh enter the body and eliminate harmful germs. It also helps the digestive tract absorb more minerals.
- Kefir: kefir is fermented milk which is often derived from a cow or goat. Once the milk is extracted from the animal, kefir grains are added to ferment the raw milk. Kefir grains are not like cereals but are cultures of bacteria. As soon they are added to the milk, kefir incubates probiotics. Kefir has a refreshing and good taste.
[Also Read: Benefits of Probiotics For Weight Loss ]
What Is the Right Dosage of Probiotics?
Since probiotics are nothing but bacteria you need to be sure about the dosage always. Too much of probiotics in the can disrupt the balance in the immune system. When you want to use probiotics for diarrhea for children, the dosage should be 5-10 billion CFUs. In cases of adults, 10-20 billion CFU is enough for a single day. You can visit a doctor or physician to know about the exact amount of probiotics that you should intake.
[Also Read: 6 Home Remedies For Diarrhea]
Do’s and Don’t’s of Taking Probiotics
Surely probiotics can help you recover from diarrhea. But there are certain Do’s and Don’ts which should be aware of. Have a look at them in this segment.
- If you are taking probiotic supplements, then the best way to do so is with food. Just swallow the capsule prior to a meal or if it’s a powder mix with some light beverage and drink it.
- Always try to get as many probiotics you want from dietary items. Natural food items are undoubtedly the best source of good quality probiotics.
- Always take advice and consult a doctor before you take supplements for probiotics. Never use these supplements without the right guidance.
- Do not take the same antibiotics for every medical disorder you face. Different antibiotics have separate abilities and need to be used properly.
- Never give children probiotic supplements. Always check it with a doctor before you do.
- Do not overdose the intake of probiotics in order to get faster results. This will cause negative side effects on your body.
Probiotic for diarrhea are really effective in fighting the germs and dissipate the symptoms. It will help you to recover faster and allow your body to function more efficiently than before.
[ Also Read: Signs Why Your Body Needs of Probiotics]
1. Which Probiotics Are Best for Diarrhea?
Probiotics like Aspergillus oryzae, Lactic acid bacteria and bifidobacteria are the best for diarrhea.
2. What Can Stop Diarrhea Fast?
It takes time to recover from diarrhea, taking a regulated amount of probiotics can help to cure the symptoms faster than the natural rate.
3. Can Probiotics Increase Diarrheas?
Probiotic can increase diarrhea only if it has been consumed in uncontrolled numbers. Besides that, there is no such fear of increased diarrhea.
4. Is Probiotic Yoghurt Good for Diarrhea?
Yes, Probiotic yogurt is one of the best sources for these bacteria in the human body.