Pokeberry appears to be a small, glowing, dark red plant, that’s herbaceous and has a very like fruit. Pokeberry bush originated in the United States, and it grows best in damp soils. This dark purple-red berry-like fruit matures around August- December. This berry has many health benefits but can be very poisonous if consumed raw. The most common way in which it can be cooked is in the form of pies. The color of wines comes from the juice extracted from Pokeberries.
And what about its health benefits? Let’s get deeper into how it is beneficial for our bodies and ways to utilize them.
The deadly and delicious plant has an exciting and powerful nutritional profile.
A half-cup of pokeberry provides
- Calories- 35, Cholesterol- 0 and Vitamin A 90 % of your daily requirement, Vitamin C 60 %,Iron 6 %,Calcium 8 %.
- Every 100 gms of pokeweed contains 8700 IU’s of Vitamin A.
The Pokeberry Uses for Its Benefits on Our Body
There are plenty of pokeberries uses in our daily lives.
- Pokeberry helps in maintaining healthy skin and reduces the aging, appearances of wrinkles, dryness of skin, and heals scars.
- They have anti-inflammatory properties as it is rich in Vitamin A. It neutralizes the free radicals that cause damages to the cells and tissues.
- It prevents anemia. Anemia is caused when the red blood cells are incapable of transferring oxygen to the cells or when there is blood loss. It is known to contain Vitamin B2 that helps to produce red blood cells and reduces the chances of anemia.
- It helps to maintain iron levels during pregnancy and helps to continue a healthy pregnancy.
- It is rich in copper, which is mandatory to keep the functioning of the thyroid gland balanced.
- This berry helps in maintaining proper brain health. Vitamin 6 in it helps in the development of the brain. It helps to increase concentration and boosts memory power.
- This berry is known to treat a lot of respiratory disorders as it is rich in Vitamin C.
- Pokeberry and its roots help to treat a lot of uterine problems in women. It reduces symptoms of PMS(1), reduces cramps and pain during menses, and also helps in removing fibroids in the uterus in women.
- The leaves of this plant are often used in the making of salads for its health benefits.
- This berry is rich in Vitamin C. This helps to boost the body’s immunity and fight against infections.
Ways to Use It to Utilize Its Benefits
1. Pokeberry Root for Eczema
Things you will need
Dried roots of pokeberry, water.
Take the dried root of the pokeberry plant. Grind it to a fine powder. Add water and make a paste. Apply to the skin areas affected by Eczema. Let it rest for half an hour. Once it dries, wash the skin with normal water.
2. Pokeberry Root for Elephantiasis
Things you will need
cleavers leaves, yellow dock root, the root, echinacea root, and marigold flower.
Take a pot and add water. Put to boil. Add all the above ingredients and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Then cover it and let it rest for 5 minutes. Strain the concoction and store it in a bottle. Take a few tsp twice daily.
[Read: Benefits of Black Raspberry]
3. Pokeroot for Swelling
Things you will need
Dried pokeberry root powder and water.
Mix a few tbsp of pokeberry root powder with water and apply it over the area where there is inflammation. Keep it for a while. This topical remedy works well to reduce inflammation.
- Pokeberry(2) must never be used for children or pregnant women without approval from a doctor.
- Excessive intake of it can cause severe damage to kidneys and livers.
- It should never be consumed raw because of the toxins present in it.
- If you experience symptoms of stomach ache, nausea, weakness, rapid heart-beat, difficulty in breathing, stop consuming this immediately.
There are several herbal uses of this plant. The root, leaves and the berry-like fruit has a lot of medicinal benefits if used with caution. The holistic uses of this are very wide to treat many diseases. The berry juice is also known to treat skin problems like acne, scars, skin ulcer, and eruptions.
[Read: Motherwort Health Benefits]
This berry can be very toxic and is always advised not to be taken in raw. Use it carefully and moderately to utilizes the best benefits of it. Highest content of Vitamin C is found in this magic berry, about 215 gm in 1 cup of Vitamin C. Leaves of Pokeberry plant can also be used in certain salads and culinary purposes. It is also referred to as pokeweed.
1. Is It Safe to Eat?
These berries are used to make tea is safe, and it can treat a few diseases as well. But, if taken raw, it can be severely toxic.
2. Is It a Weed?
Yes. These berries are called pokeberry weed as it’s a type of weed. It is introduced in Japan as a weed.