What’s better than staying healthy eating something as juicy and delectable as a peach? This fascinating, fleshy fruit has a fuzzy, velvety exterior and a sweet, smooth interior. Peaches are juicy summer fruits that mainly belong to China and South Asia. They belong to the Rosaceae family which also includes cherries and plums. Peaches are stone fruits as their shell sticks tightly to the fleshy part and within the shell is an edible seed. Peach health benefits are immense, and the fruit is full of nutrition.
One cup of sliced peach, weighing 154 grams contains
|Cholesterol and sodium||0 gram|
Peach is also a good source of vitamins A, C, E, and K, among other nutrients.
Peach Health Benefits
Studies have revealed that stone fruits like peaches, nectarines, and plums help the body fight against obesity-related diseases like diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and metabolic syndrome. Some of the most significant peach health benefits are listed here.
1. Rich in Antioxidants
Peaches have loads of anti-oxidant chlorogenic acid which has excellent health-promoting advantages. Studies show that peaches are also rich in some Phenolic compounds which are a more significant contributor to the antioxidant activity of the fruit than Vitamin C or Carotenoids. The other antioxidants found abundantly in Peaches include ZeaxanthinLetein and Beta-cryptoxanthin.
2. Weight Loss
Peaches are abundant in fiber. It’s a well-known fact that fibers play an essential and versatile role in our body ranging from an obesity epidemic, weight loss, high cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure.
It is not necessary to have a fiber-rich diet all day, a little 30 grams of it in a day contributes mostly in losing weight. The content of peach calories in a hundred grams of it is 39 which make it an ideal fruit for those who are following a weight loss diet.
[Read: 12 Diet plans for Weight Loss ]
3. Prevent Cancer
Advanced medical studies have shown peach health benefits to restrict the growth of malign cells cancer. A recent study performed in America has concluded that the polyphenols present in peaches tend to inhibit the growth of cancer cells especially breast cancer. The same results were obtained while testing colon cancer cells.
Moreover, a Swedish Institute has found the presence of another compound known as caffeinated, which reinforces the inhibition of colon and breast cancer(1) cells, yet another study confirmed that apart from breast and colon cancer cells peaches plays a vital role in overall inhibition of general, malignant cells. The two main components that make peaches so frugal and effective in the treatment of cancer is because of the presence of chlorogenic and neo chlorogenic acids.
[Read: Secret Tips To Cure Cancer ]
4. Peach for the Skin
Peaches are an abundant source of Vitamin A, which is helpful in promoting skin health. The peach fruit does also help in adding color to skin complexion. Peach health benefits for skin function due to the presence of vitamin C, which is a superb antioxidant.
It helps in reducing wrinkles, improving the texture as well as protecting the skin from pollution and sun. According to a latest French university study, vitamin C also helps in treating photodamaged skin as well as inhibits UV damage to the surface. Vitamin C is found to be useful in the treatment of acute structural changes on the surface due to aging.
5. Health Benefits for Heart
Regular peaches, as well as white peaches, are also found to contain a unique bioactive compound that plays an essential role in reducing the risk of heart diseases. In line with some studies which reinforce Peach juice, instead of any other sugary drink, lowers the risk of many cardiovascular diseases.
Again the vitamin C, potassium and fiber in peaches support good heart health. Peaches are one of the significant components infamous DASH diet; that assists in lowering hypertension.
6. Promotes Digestion
The fiber present in peaches helps in regulating and improving digestion. In addition to the digestive benefit, the fruit helps in cleaning your kidneys as well as bladder.
How to eat a Peach?
Peaches are the most widely eaten fruits all over the world. Peach health benefits, complimented by the taste make it a favorite among all. You can include the fruit in your diet in many ways.
- You can eat the fruit as it is. Just wash it and eat it like an apple directly. Remove the seed because it is poisonous.
- You may freeze peach and use them whenever needed.
- Peach butter is another versatile and delectable way to include peach in your diet. It tastes great on pancakes, toast, and waffles or can get added to yogurt and oatmeal.
- Peach Tea is a herbal tea prepared from the leaves and the dried bark of the peach tree. Brewed black peach tea helps in weight loss and also controls the daily calorie intake of a person.
- Peach wine is a winner with every peach lover. It is the tastiest and the most fun way to utilize a load of peaches lying at home. Simple homemade peach wine is delicious and easy to prepare.
- White peach has a little more delicate flavor and gets used in fruit and vegetable salads. You can also serve it alongside grilled meats.
- You can make peach jam or peach jelly which can be made easily at home or can get purchased from a store.
Peach Jam Recipe
Peach freezer jam is an instant jam made from the fruit, sugar, lemon juice and pectin. This jam does not need canning. You need to store it properly. If refrigerated, it can be used up to three weeks and up to a year in a freezer.
- Diced fresh peach cubes- 3 cups
- White sugar- 6 cups
- Pectin- 2 packets
- Lemon juice- 1/3 cups
- Combine 3 cups of fresh and diced peaches and 6 cups white sugar in a bowl
- Stir them for around ten minutes
- Add two packs of pectin into 1/3 cups of lemon juice
- Pour this mixture into the peaches
- Stir constantly until the sugar dissolves completely
- Pour the jam in food containers and put it in the freezer
Overeating peach can cause a few health issues.
- Colorectal cancer
- Allergic Reactions
It is hard to believe that a simply delicious and juicy fruit can have so many benefits to the body. Peach health benefits are so vast that they cannot be jotted down in a few words. This fruit is suitable for most people and can get included in the diet in many exciting ways. All you need is some knowledge, and you are ready to enjoy the benefits of peaches.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are peaches and nectarines the same?
No, peaches and nectarines are two different fruits from the same family.
2. Why are peaches fuzzy?
Peaches have a dominant gene that gives then the fuzzy outer coating.
3. Are canned peaches healthy?
Peaches canned in water are just as healthy, whereas the ones canned in sugar syrup have a higher sugar level that nullifies their health benefits.