Have you seen the numerous TV commercials on cooking oils? One thing that’s common that all this is that they talk about heart’s health. Majority of the population today is suffering from heart diseases. It has become so common that every one of us surely knows somebody with this ailment. But don’t be worried as your heart can be kept healthy and happy with many remedies that can get practiced at home. Read on ahead to find out how to prevent heart disease right in your home.
What is Heart Disease?
Heart disease refers to the malfunction of the heart in pumping blood throughout the body. There are different types of heart diseases depending upon the part of the organ affected. The most common is coronary heart disease which develops due to the hardening of the coronary arteries that supply blood to the heart.
It is also known as atherosclerotic heart disease. It usually occurs due to an unhealthy diet and obesity in contrast to congenital heart disease which develops due to congenital disabilities. It may involve conditions such as holes in the wall of the heart or pulmonary stenosis. Damage to heart muscles and valves causes rheumatic heart disease which is accompanied by scarlet fever and infection, but it can get treated with antibiotics. Pulmonary heart disease occurs due to an increased size of the right ventricle.
How Does Heart Disease Develop?
Obesity and heart disease are often correlated which leads to the accumulation of cholesterol in the lining of coronary arteries and formation of plaque. When plaque deposition reaches beyond 50%, it hinders the blood flow and supply of oxygen to the heart which may lead to angina. So, you must know the remedies as to how to prevent heart disease.
What Causes Heart Disease?
The causes of developing heart disease can be widespread, some of which are as below:
- High levels of LDL (bad cholesterol) and low levels of HDL, diabetes
- High blood pressure and anxiety
- Obesity and stress
- Family history
What Are the Symptoms of Heart Disease?
Heart disease symptoms may include any one or a combination of the following:
- Sharp shooting pain in the chest radiating to the arm, neck, and back
- Sweating and shortness of breath
- Irregular heartbeat and pain
- Inability to perform activities
Top 5 Natural Remedies on How to Prevent Heart Disease
Control Your Food Habits to Prevent Heart Disease
How to Use Pomegranate Juice to Avoid Heart Disease?
Pomegranates have a high content of antioxidant and help keep a check on the blood pressure and cholesterol levels. It is also beneficial in congestive heart disease.
How to use?
- Crush some fresh pomegranates in the mixer
- Add the juice to your daily diet
It helps prevent the formation of plaques and clogging of arteries and blood vessels. It helps control blood pressure, blood circulation and maintains a healthy heart.
Other foods to include in heart disease diet
How to Treat Heart Disease with in Take of Fiber?
Fiber may be available in the soluble form or the insoluble form regarding vegetables and fruits. Bananas are a rich source of insoluble fiber. You can eat the vegetables after they get thoroughly cooked with less spice and use of oil. Daily consumption of one bowl of green vegetable would show you how to prevent heart disease.
The insoluble fiber can lower the levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and prevent deposition of bad cholesterol. It also raises the levels of HDL. Insoluble fiber helps in bowel movement and prevents indigestion.
Bitter Foods that you should have to prevent heart disease:
- Broccoli, Celery
- Dandelion Greens
- Burdock Root
These bitter tasting food help in cleaning the blood circulation and helps you to stay calm and releases stress and anxiety. Broccoli helps in keeping a clean gut and healthy body which enhances the functioning of the heart and oxygen circulation.
Spinach has a high content of lutein, folate, potassium, and fiber which provides the required boost to your heart. The potassium and fiber content of kale also helps reduce heart disease. Watercress is a source of antioxidants and minerals which helps prevent reactive oxygen species in blood and relieves the symptoms of stress.
Pungent Foods to prevent heart disease:
- Nasturtium leaves
They avoid the formation of blood clots and help in maintaining smooth blood circulation. Garlic has a high content of Vitamin B6, magnesium, selenium and allicin which are key active constituents in the prevention of heart disease. Onions are particularly useful in removing LDL and increasing the levels of HDL in the body. The active ingredients of leeks are again Vitamin B6, magnesium and fiber which are all excellent supplements for the proper functioning of the heart. Horseradish has a high content of glucosinolates which protect against infections and prevents blood clotting. Nasturtium leaves have a high content of Vitamin C and flavonoids which prevent oxidative damage due to stress and protect the heart muscles. Pungent food will thus help you to know how to prevent heart disease.
Beneficial fruits to prevent heart disease include:
- Blueberries and Cherries
- Grapes and Kiwi
- Peaches and Bananas
These are rich in fiber and help to avoid stress and heart disease ensuring a healthy heart. The high amount of polyphenol content in the fruits such as grapes helps prevent heart disease and strokes. They protect the integrity of capillary walls and heart muscle. Potassium and fiber content can also get enriched with the consumption of kiwi fruit which gives you a healthy heart. Blueberries have active ingredients which help widen the capillaries and blood vessels and enhance blood circulation. Bananas have a high content of fiber and peaches and plums help get rid of diabetes and lousy cholesterol improving heart health. These benefits will further fortify your belief of how to prevent heart disease.
Food having omega-3-fatty acid to prevent heart disease:
- Non-veg sources would include fish and meat
- Veg sources are whole grains, beans, and flax seed
These help in preventing the formation of a clot in the arteries and blood vessels of the heart and ensures a smooth blood circulation. Seaweed and flax seeds are also high in their content of fiber which provides an added advantage to the prevention of heart disease.
Foods to avoid:
Strictly avoid these foods due to its high trans fat content.
- Red Meats
- High-Fat Dairy Products
- Fried Foods
- Chips, biscuits and bakery products
Prevent heart disease with the use of Herbs
Herbs are nature’s wonder and provide a natural remedy to determine how to prevent heart disease symptoms. Herbal products are available in the form of capsules, powder or tinctures and can be purchased from retail stores easily. Here are some of the herbs which can help you prevent heart disease.
Make ginger root tea
Ginger root can also be consumed in the form of powder, oil or juice or even added to tea and food supplements. It helps fight other symptoms of heart disease such as nausea and anxiety.
How to use?
- Take a small piece of ginger and cut it into thin slices
- Add it to 1 ½ cups of water and put it to boil
- Boil it for 10-15 minutes
- Strain the tea and add a teaspoon of honey and 2-3 drops of lemon juice
- Drink it while hot taking small sips
It helps in the dilation of blood vessels and enhancing blood circulation. It is a great stress buster and used as a stimulant. It prevents clot formation and lowers levels of LDL. It also finds its use as an anti-inflammatory compound and can be used as a blood thinner.
How to use holy basil to prevent heart disease?
Holy basil is the best-known home remedy to overcome some stress-related diseases and has found its place in Ayurveda since ages.
How to use?
- Leaves can be consumed or kept underneath the tongue
- Leaf extract or whole plant extract can be made for the juice and mixed with water
- A paste can be formed and used as an ingredient in food
It lowers the blood pressure and helps you cope with stress-related diseases. It helps reduce blood sugar levels and increases the sensitivity and production of insulin. It is rich in flavonoids which help fight oxidative damage and prevent heart attacks.
It is also rich in eugenol content and aids in deep breathing, clears the clogs of the circulatory system. It helps in enhancing oxygen transport and is used for its more extensive range of health benefits. It is a one-stop answer if someone asks you for a home remedy as to how to prevent heart disease.
Other natural herbs and their benefits:
- Cayenne pepper: It has found its use as a medicinal herb since ages. It has antioxidant properties which reduce stress and the release of free radicals. It also helps lower the LDL levels and improve blood circulation. It helps control blood pressure, prevent blood clotting and strengthen the coronary arteries and vessels.
- Turmeric: Its active ingredient curcumin is very useful in enhancing blood circulation, prevent blood clot and improve heart health. It also has antioxidant properties and inhibits the release of reactive oxygen species during stress which may cause damage to the walls of the heart. It can be used as a condiment or spice in food and added to the daily diet.
- Garlic clove: It helps to control blood pressure and has proven to be extremely beneficial for preventing heart disease. It keeps a smooth flow of the blood and prevents deposition of LDL while raising the levels of HDL. It is known to be useful for its content of allicin which helps in lowering blood pressure and blood sugar, prevent reduced blood flow and hardening of arteries
- Motherwort herb: It is used to relieve spasms due to nervous disorder, anxiety and irregular flow of blood of the heart. It is used for the treatment of nervous issues and helps in calming you down from anxiety and stress, prevents heart attacks and strokes.
- Hawthorn leaves, berries, flowers: These help in the dilation of coronary blood vessels. It gets used as an age-old remedy for angina, arrhythmia, arteriosclerosis. The rich content of flavonoids improves blood circulation and supply of oxygen.
[Read: Signs Look like Heart Attack]
Use herbs after consulting a physician or a doctor as they will guide you with the right dosage.
How to use essential oils to prevent heart disease?
Use juniper essential oil
Juniper essential oil has been in use since ancient times in the form of a therapeutic oil. It works wonders for keeping a great heart’s health.
How to use?
- Take 3-4 drops of juniper essential oil
- Mix it in 1 ounce of sunflower oil
- Rub this oil over your skin after you take a shower especially above the chest region
Juniper oil has strong detoxifying properties that help to enhance the blood circulation in the body. It acts as yang energy for the heart that aids to overcome the physical heart problems and helps to alleviate physical stagnation.
Use only those oils that suit your skin. Do not use it as it is but it is to get blended with a carrier oil. Take a patch test at the back of the hand to check its sensitivity.
- Use of some Home Remedies to prevent heart disease
Specific home remedies may relieve heart pain and help you to enhance your knowledge of how to prevent heart disease or attacks.
How to prevent heart disease with virgin olive oil?
You can purchase virgin olive oil from commercial stores and used as cooking oil for its huge benefits and effects.
How to use?
- It gets recommended that even two tablespoons of olive oil can keep you away from heart disease symptoms
- You can also take a few drops of this oil and massage over your chest for better blood circulation
It is rich in mono-unsaturated fatty acids which help in reducing the levels of LDL and maintaining a smooth flow of blood circulation. It is used as an anti-inflammatory which can prevent strokes, has a high content of antioxidant and is effective against atherosclerosis. It helps prevent heart attack and relieve signs of heart disease. It is effective against the removal of plaques andprevents the narrowing of blood vessels andcapillaries.
If you have a susceptible skin, check before using olive oil.
How to prevent heart disease with capsaicin?
How to use?
- An Active ingredient of spices and peppers
- Can be added to the daily food
- Also available in tablets
- Used in making and consumption of sauce
It prevents the development of atherosclerosis and lowers the LDL levels, controls blood sugar and prevents thickening of heart muscle.
Keep it away from eyes and also do not inhale it as its strong aroma might cause adverse effects after coming in contact with both.
Natural supplements on how to prevent heart disease
Apart from the wide variety of vegetables and fruits, there are some natural supplements which may be included in your diet to prevent heart disease.
Use fish liver oil to prevent heart disease
Fish oil can prevent heart disease and has been long known to help in the prevention of strokes and heart attacks. It can get used as a remedy for stress and heart disease.
How to use?
Fish oil is extracted and packaged in the form of small yellowish capsules as cod liver oil which may be prescribed and easily purchased from medical stores.
It has a high content of EPA and DHA (omega- 3-fatty acids) which help in lowering of LDL or bad cholesterol levels such that they do not deposit in the walls of the arteries. It improves blood circulation and keeps the blood pressure under check. Preventing atherosclerosis is the prime requirement to know how to prevent heart disease.
- L-Arginine: It enhances the levels of nitric oxide in the blood which act to dilate blood vessels reversing the development of clogged arteries. It is used as an anti-angina supplement and also calms the heart muscles. It lowers the LDL levels and is beneficial for increasing the rate of blood flow to the heart.
- L-Carnitine: It is used as a supplement when combined with Vitamin E helps to overcome stress and tiredness. It helps in the conversion of fatty acid to energy which is utilized for the enhanced activity of the body and helps burn fat easily
- Lecithin: It is a constituent of choline and phosphatidylcholine which aids in the development of healthy arteries, promote blood flow and prevent angina.
- Niacin: It is a vitamin B3 which reduces atherosclerosis and promotes blood flow and circulation to the heart.