Orange roughy gets its name from the color of its skin and fins. Its body is bright red with white flesh and orange fins. It hails from the trachichthyidae family and is commonly found in the Eastern Atlantic Ocean, and Western Pacific Ocean and often in the Indo- Pacific Ocean belt.
Orange roughy fish can be found at a depth of 600-6000 ft and is also known as orange rough and range ruffy. They are comfortable living in temperature ranges of 3-9 degrees Celsius. Orange roughy is one of the best fish options that you can have weekly to enjoy the nutritional benefits. There are plenty of orange roughy recipes that are low in fat and calories.
Orange Roughy Nutritional Benefits on Your Body
It has been slowly decreasing because of its demand and popularity in culinary purposes. It is a storehouse of vitamins, nutrients, and minerals. It adds a mild flavor to dishes when cooked.
- It helps in growing muscle strength. It is rich in protein that is essential for providing structure to muscles.
- It improves the quality and growth of your hair. IT is rich in protein, and it is directly proportional to healthy hair.
- It is rich in B12 and plays an essential role in maintaining blood normality and helps treat anemia.
- It has vitamins that help in restoring damaged cells. Healthy cells maintain a healthy body and prevent the occurrence of chronic diseases.
- It is rich in Niacin, which helps to reduce LDL cholesterol(1) and helps in the growth of good cholesterol in your body.
- It has iron content that aids in transporting oxygen to red blood cells.
- It has phosphorus content that plays an essential role in the growth of bones and teeth. It eases down symptoms of bone loss and osteoporosis(2).
Here Are a Few Orange Roughy Healthy Recipe
1. Orange Roughy and Lemon With Citrus Benefits to Boost Immunity and Avoid the Flu:
One of the best orange roughy recipes is this. It is a good source of fiber and vitamins.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 fillets of orange roughy,
- 1 Orange Juice extract,
- ½ tsp lemon pepper
- Take a large skillet and heat it.
- Add the fish fillets and drizzle orange and lemon juice over it.
- Sprinkle some lemon pepper on it.
- Cook until the fish can be flaked with a fork.
[ Read: Essential Oils for Immunity ]
2. Orange Roughy Recipes to Boost Digestion
Using white wine in cooking is known to protect the heart and regulate blood pressure.
- 4 fillets of orange roughy
- 4 small onion chopped
- Minced garlic
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 2 tomatoes diced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- ¼ cup of white wine
- Heat a skillet and add olive oil. Coat the fish with salt and pepper and add it to the pan and cook until its flaky. Transfer to a baking dish and keep it warm.
- Add the butter to the skillet, and then add onion and garlic. Saute for a minute until the onions turn slightly pinkish and are tender.
- Add tomatoes and mushroom and cook for two more minutes.
- Next, add the wine and then steam for 5 minutes.
- Add the sauteed vegetables and salt and pepper.
[ Read: Yoga for Digestion Problem ]
3. Broiled Orange Roughy Healthy Recipe for Weight Loss
This is a great healthy recipe with low fat for you.
- 6 orange roughy fillets
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 1 tsp grated ginger,
- 1 tsp minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp roasted sesame seeds
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Take a shallow baking dish and place the fillets.
- Add white wine, ginger, garlic, onion, lemon juice, soy sauce, and crushed red pepper and blend it.
- Coat the fish fillets, cover, and refrigerate. Once taken out from the fridge, remove from the marinade and add salt, pepper, and coat with roasted sesame seeds.
- Pre-heat the broiler pan and spray some vegetable spray. Broil at a 4-inch distance from heat for 8 minutes until the fish is flaky.
- Add some lemon before serving. You can also add garnish using parsley.
[ Read: Healthy Weight Loss ]
4. Herbed Orange Roughy Simple Fish Recipe for Constipation
This is a lip-smacking, fibrous, low-calorie recipe for your body.
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 orange roughy fillets
- Take a large bowl and add lemon juice, butter, dried thyme, lemon zest, salt, paprika, garlic powder and dip the fillets on both sides.
- Take a grill and lightly oil it. Cover and broil 4 inches away from heat for 6-10 minutes until the fish is flaky using a fork.
[ Read: Ginger for Relieving Constipation ]
Although Orange roughy is beneficial, there are some things to be aware of while you make them a part of your diet. Orange roughy has high mercury content, and this can affect brain function if taken excessively. It is not at all fit for pregnant women, breastfeeding women, and children. However, if taken in moderate amounts and cooked well, this can be great food for a healthy life.
1. Can Orange Roughy Cause Oily Stools?
Yes. Undercooked roughy can cause oily stools due to the indigestible oil that is contained in the fish.
2. Can Orange Roughy Be Fried?
Yes. You can dip it in egg and coat it with bread crumbs to fry it.