People fond of Salads usually mix different kinds of lettuces and top it up with meat, veggies, and Romain and red lettuce amongst the many available. Belonging to the daisy family is a highly nutritious plant called Lactuca Sativa, commonly known as red leaf lettuce.
Red leaf lettuce Vs romaine is a general area for confusion as it differs only in the tips. Lettuce is known to be the perfect food for salads and is the ideal food for weight loss. It is known for its nutrition benefits, and this power food is most dieticians favorite. It is the most nutritious of all lettuces. Red leaf nutrition includes low calories and richness in Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Magnesium, Manganese, Folate, and Iron.
Every 85 gms of shredded red leaf lettuce provides
- Calories- 11
- Fat- 0.2 gm
- Fiber- 1 gm
- Vitamin K- 149% of DV (Daily Value)
- Vitamin A- 127% of DV
- Magnesium- 3 % of DV
- Manganese – 9% of DV
- Folate- 8% of DV
- Iron: 6% of the DV
- Vitamin C: 5% of the DV
- Potassium: 5% of the DV
- Vitamin B6: 4% of the DV
- Thiamine: 4% of the DV
- Riboflavin: 4% of the DV
How does it work?
There are the most useful ways in which this miraculous vegetable benefits your body.
- It is hugely packed with the essential vitamins and is very low in calories. If you consume 85 gms, you will only consume 11 calories. Although nutrition is similar to other leafy vegetables, red leaf stands out to be the most nutritious of all.
- Red leaf lettuce(1) consists of significant vitamins. It is rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and Vitamin A.
- It also consists of essential minerals like Magnesium, Manganese, Iron, and Potassium. Minerals play a crucial role in the healthy functioning of one’s body.
- This vegetable helps to hydrate your body. It consists of 96% water that helps in restoring the water balance in the body and also quenches the thirst.
- It has many powerful antioxidants. It contains beta-carotene, a carotenoid that enables your body to convert into Vitamin A. This helps in improving eyesight and prevents macular degeneration.
- Red leaf lettuce also helps to fight inflammation because of its properties.
- Eating this lettuce will also reduce the risk of heart diseases.
- This is rich in Vitamin K. This vitamin has a vital role when you’re bleeding as it helps in blood clotting. Other than this, Vitamin K is required for bone growth and its development.
- Red leaf lettuce also helps in weight loss. This lettuce is mostly water, and it helps in curbing hunger cravings and keeps your stomach full. It is also low in calories, and that is why it aids weight loss.
- This vegetable is easy to cook, along with its nutritious benefits. This makes it a preferred choice for dieticians and trainers who work on a weight loss regime(2).
Red Leaf Lettuce Recipes You Should Follow to Get the Maximum Benefit
1. Red leaf lettuce salad for weight loss
7 cups of torn red leaf lettuce, 1 can of mandating oranges,1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese, ¼ chopped yellow pepper, ¼ cup chopped red pepper, 5 tbsp olive oil, 2 tsp honey, 4 ½ tsp apple cider vinegar, 2 tsp Dijon mustard, 1/8 tsp salt, 2 tbsp finely chopped red onion, 1/3 cup roasted almonds.
- Take a salad bowl and combine the oranges, lettuce, pepper, and cheese.
- Mix them well. Take another bowl and mix the honey, oil, mustard, vinegar, and salt. 3 Add some onion. Add it over the salad and coat by tossing it over. Serve immediately.
2. Lettuce juice for detox and easy digestion
Things you will need
Take 300 gms of red leaf lettuce, cucumber, two stalks of celery, two green apples, honey and 1 tsp of lemon juice, ½ inch fresh ginger.
- Add the lettuce, cucumber, ginger, and celery to a blender and grind to a smooth paste.
- Then add chopped green apples, honey, lemon juice, and blend it again until you get the desired consistency of a smoothie.
3. Juice for anti-aging
Things you will need
9 lettuce leaves, five carrots, one celery stalk, ½ inch of fresh ginger.
Take a blender and blend all the ingredients to a smooth paste. You can add very little water if it is too thick to drink.
- Red leaf lettuce must always be rinsed and clean well before consumption.
- If you experience diarrhea, itching, nausea, or rashes, stop consuming it immediately.
Every leafy vegetable has its set of benefits, and its recommended to make it a part of your diet. A healthy diet must include a portion of greens and leafy vegetables. Eating this food helps your body in many ways, mostly by strengthening its immunity. This is safe for children once cleaned well. Make red leaf lettuce salad your go-to food by chopping them, and do not worry about meal prep on hectic weekends.
1. Is Red Leaf Lettuce Safe to Eat?
Yes. It is most definitely safe to eat once it is rinsed well. Chop them and tune it with other veggies and make a fresh salad as a meal.
2. Is It the Same as Romaine?
No, they aren’t the same and differ in looks in the tips.