It’s hot outside, and you are restless, not because of the heat but due to the painful red blisters on your skin! If this perfectly describes the pain you are in, then this read is worth a million for you. The red bumps are nothing more than heat rash and can be cured and soothed with effective home remedies for heat rash.
What is Heat Rash?
Heat rash is a dermatological condition that occurs due to overexposure to heat and humidity. Medically termed as Miliaria and popularly referred to as prickly heat rash. The skin pores and sweat glands of the skin become clogged making it difficult for the sweat to escape. The trapped sweat causes inflammation manifests in the form of painful red rashes and blisters.
1. Miliaria Crystalline
This heat rash in adults and infants is mild affecting the sweat glands on the outermost layer of the skin.
2. Miliaria Rubra
It is the most common type characterized by reddish bumps and itching sensations.
3. Miliaria Pustulosa
It occurs due to inflammation of the rashes. They are pus-filled blisters and painful skin bumps.
4. Miliaria Profunda
This heat rash(1) affects the lower layers of the skin.
- Heat rash in babies occurs due to the immaturity of sweat glands and ducts
- Prolonged exposure to tropical climate characterized by high heat and humidity causes heat rash in toddlers and adults alike
- Intense physical activities and exercises can lead to blisters and prickly heat rash on face, legs, and thighs
- Long bed rest due to medical reasons can lead to heat rash on legs and thighs
[Also Read: Natural Remedies for Heat Rash]
The symptoms of prickly heat rash vary according to its type. However, the most visible sign of heat rash is the appearance of bumps, blisters and reddish rashes in the skin folds like in the neck, thighs, armpits, groin, and elbow creases.
Natural Remedies for Heat Rash
Prickly heat rash can get cured by the meticulous administration of home remedies for heat rash. The home remedies work on the symptoms, cure the rashes, alleviate the pain and inflammation, curb the spreading of infection and heal the skin in no time.
CURE 1. Foods
This remedy might come as a surprise, but raw potatoes make one of the most calming home remedies for heat rash.
How to use?
- Rinse and peel an average-sized potato
- Shred it using a shredder until it turns into a mass of tiny and juicy pieces
- Smear the moist shreds of potato all over the prickly heat rash
- Rinse the affected area of the skin with ice water
- Do this twice daily for the heat rash to heal quickly
Benefits of Using Raw Potatoes
The application of fresh potatoes alleviate the burning and itching sensations, and its emollient nature is incredibly beneficial for the cure of heat rash in children and adults.
[Also Read: Health Benefits of Raw Potato]
Foods to Eat
The most refreshing way to enjoy summer and keep heat rash at bay is by binging on summer fruits and vegetable smoothies. Try out thee foods.
- Fresh and juicy fruits made into smoothies and popsicles
- Steamed vegetables that keep the skin healthy and strong
Foods to Avoid
Avoid the following foods to prevent and cure prickly heat rash.
- Caffeinated beverages
- Spicy foods
- Hot drinks
[Read: Essential Oils for Heat Rash]
CURE 2: Herbal Treatments
1. Aloe Vera Gel
If you are wondering on what’s good for heat rash, then try a tablespoon of cooling aloe vera gel. The use of freshly extracted aloe vera gel is one of the most effective home remedies for heat rash on face and other parts of the body.
How to use?
- Squeeze the aloe gel out of a freshly plucked aloe vera leaf
- Apply the gel all over the heat rash on face and legs
- Rinse the affected area of the skin with cold water after about an hour
- Do this daily for the prickly heat rash to heal
Benefits of Using Aloe Vera Gel
Smearing the skin with cooling aloe vera gel is a fabulous way of the assuagement of the painful sensations of prickly heat rash. The refreshing quality of aloe vera gel heals the heat rash on face, soothes the pain of blisters, drains out the fluids and pus of prickly heat rash blisters, and nourishes the skin with its rich content of vitamin E.
The anti-inflammatory nature of aloe vera gel cures the inflammation and rashes in no time.
It is the best practice to use a fresh aloe vera leaf to extract its gel. Over the counter gels may contain certain chemicals that can cause allergy or inflammation.
CURE 3: Essential Oils
1. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil is one of the most effective essential oils for heat rash. When blended with a carrier oil, peppermint essential oil becomes one of the most soothing home remedies for heat rash.
How to use?
- Combine a teaspoon of peppermint essential oil with a few tablespoons of olive oil
- Apply the oil mixture on the prickly heat rash on face
- Follow this remedy twice a day for the cure of heat rash
Benefits of Using Peppermint Essential Oil
The menthol of peppermint essential oil makes it anti-inflammatory and anesthetic by nature. Topical application of diluted peppermint essential oil can inhibit the pain and soothe the inflammation of heat rash on the legs and face of toddlers, children, and adults.
Make sure that you use the essential oil in diluted form. Try a patch test on normal skin before proceeding with this remedy.
[Also Read: Benefits of Peppermint Oil]
CURE 4: Home Remedies
1. Ice Cubes
One of the best home remedies for counteracting heat rash is with the help of ice.
How to use?
- Wrap a few ice cubes in a clean handkerchief to prepare the ice pack
- Gently dab the heat rash on legs and thighs with the ice pack
- Do this thrice a day for the healing the heat rash quickly
Benefits of Using Ice Cubes
The low temperature of ice soothes the itchiness, alleviates the pain of blisters, inhibits the spreading of the bumps and rashes and cures the redness and pain of prickly heat rash in toddlers and adults alike.
Do not press the ice pack for too long against your skin otherwise; the remedy will get reversed.
CURE 5: Natural Treatments
1. Oatmeal Bathing
Oatmeal baths are one of the most refreshing home remedies for heat rash.
How to use?
- Fill the bathtub with slightly cold water
- Pour a few drops of lavender essential oil into the water
- Pour 2-3 cups of oats into the water
- Stir the water
- Soak your body in the oatmeal bath for about half an hour
- Do this regularly for the gentle exfoliation and alleviation of the rashes
Benefits of Oatmeal Baths
Oatmeal baths cleanse the rashes and blisters to eliminate them quickly. A soothing oatmeal bath alleviates the burning and painful sensations of blisters. Avoid using hot water as that will only aggravate the pain and rashes. Make sure that the water is moderately cold. The oatmeal bath helps in gentle exfoliation of the skin during bathing.
[Also Read: Benefits of Oatmeal]
What are the Preventive Measures to be Taken for Heat Rash?
Heat rash can be prevented by following the steps given below.
- Avoid wearing heavy and synthetic clothes during summer
- Keep your dressing light and loose-fitted
- Use sunscreens and sunshades before going out in the sun
- Air condition your bedroom during the hot and humid summer
- Make sure that your rooms are well ventilated
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day
The sweaty and painful rashes will become a distant dream by practicing these effective home remedies for heat rash. However, if the symptoms persist or it becomes unbearably painful, consult a physician. Heal the heat rashes with the soothing treatments and get a radiant skin to flaunt before all.