The essential oil of myrrh is extracted from resin. It is native to the Middle East and Africa comes from a tree named Commiphora myrrha. The myrrh resin has a lovely fragrance and was extensively used in the ancient times in perfumes and incense. The essential oil of myrrh benefits has been in use since times immemorial as a powerful healer of bleeding wounds and skin rashes.
The most important components of the essential oil of myrrh include alpha-pinene, limonene, cadinene, cuminaldehyde, cresol, eugenol, heerabolene, formic acid, acetic acid, and sesquiterpenes. Myrrh essential oil is richly vested with astringent, antimicrobial, antifungal, expectorant, carminative, stimulant, anti-catarrhal, stomachic, vulnerary, diaphoretic, immune boosting, antiseptic, circulatory, anti-inflammatory, tonic, healing and antispasmodic properties. The essential oil of myrrh benefits health in innumerable ways.
Myrrh Recipes for the Preparation of Homemade Body Lotion
The homemade body lotion comprising of the essential oils of myrrh and frankincense is a perfect recipe for hydration and nourishment of the skin. Besides the frankincense and myrrh oil benefits, the essential oils tone and heal the skin and keep it healthy and supple. You can prepare this lovely lotion at home by following the recipe given here. This lotion is the best way to secure the health benefits of frankincense and myrrh.
- 1/4th a cup of olive oil
- 1/4th a cup of coconut oil
- 1/4th a cup of Shea butter
- 1/4th a cup of grated beeswax
- 2 tablespoons of oil of vitamin E
- 15-20 drops of essential oil of frankincense
- 15-20 drops of essential oil of myrrh
- A clean glass bottle
- Add the olive oil, beeswax, coconut oil and Shea butter to a bow and then warm the content by placing the bowl in a saucepan filled with water and heating the saucepan.
- Wait till the content turns into a warm liquid. Stir well to mix the liquids.
- Refrigerate the mixture for an hour or so, until it solidifies.
- Whip the solid mixture until it becomes soft and fluffy. Add the Vitamin E and the essential oils of frankincense and myrrh to the creamy mixture.
- Stir well, until the essential oils get evenly suffused.
- Fill the glass bottle with the mixture. Your homemade lotion is ready for regular use.
How to Use Myrrh Essential Oil?
The essential oil of myrrh benefits health in numerous ways. The essential oil of myrrh can be used in the following ways:
- Diffusion or Inhalation: You may diffuse the essential oil throughout your room using an oil distiller to induce an environment of soothing aromatherapy(1). You may also add 1/3rda teaspoon of myrrh essential oil to a vessel of steaming water and then inhale the fragrant vapor. Myrrh essential oil benefits through this inhalation as it will cure you of a cough, cold, bronchitis and breathing problems.
- Direct Application: Add ½ a teaspoon of myrrh essential oil to a tablespoon of jojoba, coconut or almond oil. Mix the oils and then apply it directly to your skin. Myrrh fights the signs of aging and rejuvenates your skin. You may also apply it directly to cuts and wounds.
- Cold compression: Being richly therapeutic and anti-inflammatory in nature, a few drops of myrrh oil can be added to a cold compress. Press the oiled compress against the swollen and inflamed area of your skin for relief.
What is the Essential Oil of Myrrh Benefits?
Myrrh is replete with health benefits and is employed in numerous ways to cure, heal and protect the skin, hair and general body health. Elucidated below are a handful of remarkable health benefits of myrrh essential oil.
1. Myrrh benefits for Inhibition of Microbial Growth
The essential oil of myrrh protects the body from infection by microbes by inhibiting microbial growth.
- Myrrh oil is highly effective in fighting diseases caused by microbial infection, like high fever, common cold(2), food poisoning, pox, mumps, measles, and infection caused by septicemia of open wounds and cuts on the skin.
- The oil has no negative side-effects like malfunctioning of the liver, interference with healthy digestion and etc.
More Resources: Home Remedies for Measles
2. Properties of Astringency
The essential oil of myrrh is a natural astringent.
- It lends immense strength to muscles and body organs.
- It protects the skin and makes it soft and supple.
- It prevents hair fall by strengthening the roots of the hair and nourishing the scalp.
- Its astringency property is highly effective in preventing the wound hemorrhage.
- The astringency prevents profuse bleeding from wounds by constricting the blood vessels.
- This way the wounded person does not lose too much of blood and the wounds do not become fatal for him.
3. Relieves Coughing Fits
- Myrrh can instantly relieve you of the symptoms of respiratory disorders, constant dry coughing, and running nose.
- Myrrh is antitussive in nature which helps to suppress coughing while its expectorant property assists the riddance of unhealthy phlegm.
- Myrrh also aids in relieving the patient from congestion in the chest with its content of eugenol, cresol, and cuminaldehyde.
- Besides myrrh oil can provide the patient with instant relief from coughing.
More Resources: Natural Remedies for Cough
4. Stimulation of the Central Nervous System
The essential oil of myrrh is a highly effective natural remedy of nervous disorders like epilepsy, seizing fits, convulsions etc.
- It helps to soothe the central nervous system and improves the coordination of motor sensory nerves.
- Myrrh oil benefits in the maintenance of body coordination and movement.
- It stimulates circulation of blood, digestion, excretion and nervous activities.
- Myrrh oil stimulates the heart and maintains regular cardiac functioning, secretion of digestive juice and bile within the stomach.
- The stimulating properties of myrrh oil keep the individual vigilant with stimulation of the Central Nervous System and brain.
5. Improvement of Digestion
- The essential oil of myrrh is immensely beneficial for healthy digestion and proper absorption of proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids.
- Regular administration of myrrh oil improves digestion, prevents flatulence, protects the body from acid reflux and nausea(4) and helps in the smooth functioning of the liver.
More Resources: Home Remedies For Acid Reflux
6. Anti-catarrhal Properties
The anti-catarrhal properties of myrrh relieve the patient of excessive phlegm and mucus and the ailments associated with deposition of mucus like chest congestion, shortness of breath, a heaviness of chest, coughing fits and etc.
7. Enhances Perspiration
- The essential oil of myrrh increase perspiration and detoxifies the body by getting rid of excess salts and water through the sweat.
- Perspiration induces by myrrh essential oil cleans out the pores on the skin and enables the elimination of poisonous nitrogenous compounds through the skin pores.
8. Acceleration of Healing
The essential oil of myrrh facilitates the healing of wounds and accelerates the process of skin repair.
- It constricts blood vessels and checks the flowing out of blood with its astringent properties.
- It prevents the inflammation of tissues with its properties of anti-inflammation.
- This way the wound heals quickly and effectively.
9. Myrrh benefits for Prevention of Infection
The essential oil of myrrh is rich in antiseptic properties.
- If there is a wound or cut on your skin then smear the wound with a few drops of myrrh oil to prevent the spread of septicemia(5) and tetanus infection.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties prevent the inflammation of skin tissues around the wound and inhibit the causes of infection.
10. Immunity Booster
The essential oil of myrrh is known for its anti-fungal, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties. It fortifies the immunity system and protects the body from antigens and infections.
11. Strengthens the Cardiac System
- The essential oil of myrrh aids in the prevention of cardiac diseases(6) by ensuring healthy circulation of blood throughout the body.
- Myrrh boosts the process of body metabolism and fortifies body immunity.
- It enhances the flow of blood to the body parts and helps the individual to stay healthy and fit.
Get More: Home Remedies to Cure Hypoglycemia
12. Myrrh benefits for Preservation of General Health
The essential oil of myrrh makes for a highly effective health tonic that tones up the physiological functioning strengthens the body organs and protects the body from aging, ailments, and infections.
13. Protection against Internal Inflammation
- The essential oil of myrrh is known for suppressing inflammation of skin tissues in case of viral infection because of its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Myrrh oil cures indigestion and acidity by protecting the stomach tissues from getting inflamed by hypersecretion of gastric acids. It also protects the cardiac system by elimination of toxins.
Read more: Natural remedies For Inflammation
14. Relief from Spasms
The essential oil of myrrh relieves the body from muscle cramps(7), contractions, and spasms. It is a natural muscle relaxant that cures the body of muscle aches and muscular pain.
15. Myrrh benefits for Oral Health
The mouth is almost always a breeding ground of germs and microbes that erode the teeth, affect the gums, cause mouth ulcer, gum boil, pyorrhea(8), gingivitis and other such oral diseases.
- A blend of frankincense and myrrh essential oils is rich in antiseptic, germicidal and antimicrobial properties that help to protect the mouth, teeth, and gums from infection.
- Add a few drops of the essential oils to the toothpaste and brush your teeth with it thoroughly to maintain proper oral health.
Know More: Home Remedies for Pyorrhoea
16. Myrrh benefits against Cancer
- The essential oil of myrrh has the significant effect on cancerous cells and is highly anti-inflammatory in nature which prevents the multiplication of cancer cells in the body.
- Myrrh helps in maintaining hormonal balance as well and provides powerful therapeutic support. It is especially effective in fighting against skin cancer(9).
- Smear the affected spot on the skin with a few drops of myrrh essential oil and the skin cancer will heal quickly.
Know More: Natural Cures For Skin Cancer
17. Effective against Hypothyroidism
The essential oil of myrrh is one of the most effective natural cures of hypothyroidism.
- Apply a teaspoon of myrrh essential oil to the thyroid area on the throat with gentle rubbing.
- Do this once a day on a daily basis to fight the symptoms of hypothyroidism and reestablish the normal secretion of thyroid hormones.
What are the Side-Effects of Myrrh Essential Oil?
A few general myrrh side effects include-
- It is not safe for pregnant women and often leads to irregular menstruation(10) and miscarriage even when taking taken in small quantities.
- A dosage of more than 2-4 grams of myrrh oil can cause serious cardiac and renal problems.
1. Is Myrrh safe?
Response: The use of myrrh essential oil is safe in small dosages. Overdosage of myrrh can trigger systemic inflammation, uterine bleeding, cardiac rhythm, renal failure and more.
2. Is Myrrh good for hair growth?
Response: The essential oil of myrrh soothes and nourishes the scalp, keeps lice and dandruff at bay and strengthens the root of hair thereby preventing hair fall.
3. What are the health benefits of frankincense and myrrh?
Response: A mixture of essential oils of myrrh and frankincense is rich in antioxidant, antiparasitic, relaxant, anti-cancer, germicidal, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties which make the two oils highly beneficial for skin health.
4. Is Myrrh good for skin?
Response: Myrrh for skin is highly beneficial. Myrrh is good for the natural treatment of skin problems like acne, pimples, sores, general dryness and etc.