Unsightly marks of every size and shape may appear on your body due to various reasons. While warriors may consider scars to be beautiful and a thing to be proud of, others do not like these and want to get rid of them as soon as possible. If you too are looking for how to get rid of scars, then here are some excellent natural remedies that can help you clear them quickly.
What is a Scar?
A fibrous tissue that may develop on your skin after an injury is called a scar. It is a pale, pink, silver or brown mark left on the surface of the skin that results from the repairing of the wound.
How Scars Form?
When the skin gets injured in surgery or due to an accident, then your body works to repair the wound. It develops collagen, a tough fiber that provides the skin with flexibility and strength. It is a part of the repairing process wherein the tissues that get broken due to injury get reconnected. A swab develops on the wounded area to prevent the wound from the germs. With time, as the wound heals, the scab falls off. It may or may not leave a scar behind.
What are the Different Types of Scars?
- Keloid Scars: Keloid scars occur due to rapid healing of skin and overproduction of a tissue. These are dark than surrounding region and have a puffy appearance.
- Atrophic Scars: Dark acne scars and those caused due to chickenpox are Atrophic scars. These are depressed and serrated resulting from loss of tissue.
- Hypertrophic scars: The red and raised scars are Hypertrophic scars caused due to excess production of the tissue.
- Contracture Scars: They occur due to burning when a large area of the skin gets damaged. The surface of the region appears shiny and gets tightened, restricting movement.
How to Get Rid of Scars?
Scarring is common and is a part of your skin’s healing process. One may get rid of it in some time, but that may be too long. The development of scars(1) especially on the visible areas like face can have a tremendous psychological impact. If your scars are also making you conscious and providing you with unnecessary attention, then try some effective natural remedies. Here you get all the answers for how to get rid of scars naturally. Employ the below mention cures to fade the unsightly marks easily:
1. Foods that can Reduce Scars
How to Fade Scars by using a Potato?
Potato is one of the best home remedies for those looking for how to remove back acne scars.
How to use?
- Take a potato and cut it into slices
- Rub these slices on the affected area in a circular motion
- Continue rubbing for about twenty minutes. Replace the dried up slice with a fresh slice.
- Leave it for around 10 minutes to dry
- Wash the area with cold water
- Repeat the process for several days
Benefits of Potato
Raw potato aids in lightening skin pigmentation, hence it can also be used for lightening the dark scars caused due to acne. The enzymes present in it help in fading the scars
How to use the paste of Cucumber to Treat Scars?
Cucumbers are there in every household. These are not only great for your health but can treat various skin conditions including scars.
How to use?
- Take a cucumber
- Peel the skin and remove the seeds from it
- Add it to the blender along with four to five leaves of mint and blend
- To the mixture add beaten white egg
- Mix all the contents properly to get a uniform paste
- Apply the paste on the scars
- Leave it for around twenty minutes
- After that wash it off with cold water
- Dab the area dry
- You can repeat this cucumber paste remedy daily to treat the scars and reduce their visibility
Benefits of Cucumber
Application of cucumber on a daily basis can effectively remove the scars, and also make your skin soft and supple. A cucumber is an excellent option if you have sensitive skin as it is not very acidic. Thus, you can use it without any worry.
How to Heal Burn Scar using Tomato and Lemon?
Burn scars are unpleasant to see and quite painful. As the skin of the region tightens, the movement of the area gets restricted. To clear the scars caused by burning, you can use the tomato and lemon juice remedy.
How to use?
- First, properly rinse the area with the scar
- Put a moistened washcloth on the scar for some hours
- After that, squeeze some lemon juice in a bowl
- Take another washcloth and dip it the juice
- Gently dab the scar region with the washcloth soaked in lemon juice
- Let it dry
- After that, squeeze out some tomato juice
- Apply the fresh juice on the scar
- Its strong bleaching properties reduce the visibility of the scar
- You can repeat this process two times a day to treat the marks and reduce their visibility
Benefits of tomato and lemon remedy
The remedy helps in removing the dead skin cells of the scar and rejuvenate the region. Further, tomato and lemon act as bleaching agents and reduce the visibility of the scars.
Foods to Eat
Certain foods help in healing scars and fasten their fading. To quicken the scar healing process include the following foods in your diet:
Foods to avoid
Some foods can interrupt in your body-healing process and delay scar treatment. These are:
- Nitrate-rich foods like bacon, hot dogs, etc.
[Also Read: Tips To Cure Old Scars]
2. Herbal Treatments for Removing Scars
How to Get Rid of Scars with Aloe Vera?
Aloe Vera is a potent plant with numerous benefits for healing the skin. It is an excellent remedy for treating facial scars too(2).
How to use?
- Take an Aloe Vera leaf
- Cut it to squeeze out Aloe Vera Gel
- Apply the fresh Aloe Vera gel on the scar in a circular motion
- Let it seep into the skin
- Leave it for about thirty minutes
- Wash off the region with clean water
- Repeat the process two times a day for some weeks to see the results
Benefits of Aloe Vera
The healing properties of Aloe Vera effectively reduce the visibility of scars over time. Additionally, it soothes your skin and nourishes it, giving it a beautiful and healthy glow.
Aloe Vera gel is one of the best gifts of nature that possess little or no side effects. But people with sensitive skin should be very precautious while using it.
How to use Echinacea for Scars?
Use of Echinacea herb is one of those natural remedies that help to keep infection at bay while the scar gets healed.
How to use?
- Take some herb and add a little water to it
- Prepare a paste and apply it over the scar
- Leave it overnight
- Wash the region, the next morning
Benefits of Echinacea
Echinacea is rich in polysaccharides and alkamides which boost the production of skin cells, thus aiding in the quick healing of the scars.
This remedy is not advisable for people who suffer from autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis or lupus.
How to get rid of scars using Green tea?
The scars caused due to ingrown hair are dark and get unwanted attention. You can clear these ingrown hair scars using green tea.
How to use?
- Put a green tea bag in hot water for about two to three minutes
- Take out the tea bag and gently squeeze out the excess water from the tea bag
- Place the tea bag on the scar region for around 10 minutes
- Repeat the process three to four times a day to see results
- Soak a soft cotton towel in green tea
- Squeeze out the excess tea and keep the sheet on the scar for 10 to 15 minutes
- Repeat the process three to four times every day
Benefits of Green Tea
The antioxidant properties of green tea help in healing the skin tissues and lighten the appearance of the marks.
While using the tea bag, make sure that it is not very hot and at bearable room temperature. Look out for the freshness of the green tea extract.
3. Use Essential Oils for Scars Treatment
How to use Sandalwood Essential Oil for Getting Rid of Scars?
Sandalwood Essential oil is one of the best home remedies to treat skin troubles. It has invaluable wound healing properties. Thus you can use Sandalwood oil for scars too.
How to use?
- Take few drops of Sandalwood Essential oil and mix them with a carrier oil
- Apply the blend to the scars directly.
- After a regular application for some time, your scar will fade away
Benefits of Sandalwood Essential Oil
Sandalwood Essential Oil has antiseptic, astringent and anti-inflammatory properties that make it quite effective in treating the scars.
Always dilute the sandalwood oil with a carrier oil before applying it on the scars.
Other Essential Oils for Scars Treatment
Helichrysum Essential oil
Helichrysum Essential Oil contains arzanol that aids in healing wounds. Also, the presence of antioxidants in the oil prevents scarring by boosting the growth of new cells and inhibiting the accumulation of the free radicals. Apply it topically on the area to heal the scars. However, the people who have recently undergone surgery or those who have an increased probability of internal hemorrhages must not use it.
Geranium Essential Oil
Application of Geranium Oil on the scar aids in their quick fading. It relieves you from inflammation, encourages regeneration of cells and evens out the skin tone. Further, its healing properties make the scars less visible over time.
Cedar Wood Oil has rejuvenating properties that soothe the skin and treat various conditions including scars. Its anti-inflammatory properties ease the pain that occurs due to the development of scars. You can use it daily to see significant results. Cedarwood oil may cause an allergic reaction; therefore, you must do a skin patch test to check your skin’s sensitivity.
Frankincense Oil(3) is another useful essential oil for getting rid of scars. It can kill bacteria and protect your scarred tissue. Further, the oil is known to even the skin tone and promote the growth of new skin cells. The anti-inflammatory properties of the oil also soothe the skin. You can use it to reduce the visibility of the scars on the legs and face. People who are on blood thinners must avoid the frankincense oil.
Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender is the most popular essential oil and finds a wide array of uses. The oil with a pleasant aroma is an excellent choice for those looking for how to remove scars. Lavender Essential Oil has wound healing properties that make it quite effective in treating scars. Application of the oil on the wound accelerates the healing process and also promotes shrinking of the injury. The oil boosts skin regeneration thus aiding in the healing of the scars.
You must apply essential oils topically and do not ingest them. As these are quite potent, they may cause skin irritation and allergic reactions. Thus, you must use them in diluted form only. To dilute the essential oils mix them with a carrier oil. Some of the carrier oils that you may use are avocado oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, sweet almond oil, etc. do not use the oils on open wounds.
4. Home Remedies to Get Rid of Scars
How to Inhibit Scar Formation with Gooseberry?
Gooseberry is known for its numerous benefits, and one such advantage is getting rid of scars. It can significantly reduce your scar worries.
How to use?
- Take gooseberry powder
- Make a paste using olive oil or water
- Massage this paste on the newly-healed area
- Repeat the process for several days to lighten the scar and make it invisible
Benefits of Gooseberry
Gooseberry is a rich source of Vitamin C which is known to play a vital role in skin healing. Thus, application of gooseberry paste can effectively inhibit the formation of scars.
How to cure scars with Honey and Baking Soda?
Honey is another useful remedy to clear facial scars, and when you add to it baking soda, the benefits of it multiply.
How to use?
- Mix two tablespoons of honey in an equal quantity of baking soda
- Massage the paste on the area for around three minutes
- Cover the region with a hot washcloth
- Leave it there until the cloth cools down
- After that remove the washcloth and wipe the honey and baking soda mixture with it
- Mix two tablespoons of raw honey in a tablespoon of baking soda
- Use it to exfoliate the region and fade away the acne scars
Benefits of Honey and Baking Soda Remedy
Honey is a natural moisturizer that nourishes your skin and promotes regeneration of the cells. Thus, it accelerates the skin’s healing process and fades away the scars.
5. Natural Treatments to Get Rid of Scars
How to fix Pimple Scars with Coconut Oil?
The dark scars caused due to acne are embarrassing. Use coconut oil for scars and get rid of them quickly.
How to use?
- Take some coconut oil
- Rub it on your fingers to liquefy it
- Dab it on the region with scars
- Massage gently for about ten minutes so that it penetrates deep into your skin
- Leave it for at least an hour and then wash off
- Repeat the process three to four times a day
Benefits of Coconut oil
Coconut oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids that penetrate deep into your skin and nourish it. Thus, it aids in skin healing and quickens the lightening of scars.
Other Remedies for Getting Rid of Scars
Besides the solutions mentioned above for treating scars, there are some other popular treatments that you can use for how to get rid of scars.
Silicone for Scars Treatments
Silicone gel(10) is an effective remedy for how to get rid of scars. The application of silicone helps in healing scars. It increases the hydration of the uppermost layer of the skin and reduces the collagen production resulting in a softer scar. Silicone gel also protects the scarred tissue from bacteria which causes excessive production of collagen.
How to use?
- Take some gel and apply it on your scar
- Massage it gently for three to five minutes in a clockwise direction using thumb
- Wipe the excess gel with a cloth
You can use the gel two times a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.
Vitamin E oil for Scars Treatment
From slowing the aging process to curing skin infections, Vitamin E Oil finds its use everywhere. You can use Vitamin E oil for scars too.
How to use?
- Take Vitamin E capsule
- Cut the capsule and pour the oil in the scar
- After that massage the oil for about 10 minutes
- Leave it for twenty minutes and then wash off with warm water
- You must repeat the process for at least three times a day
- Use it on a regular basis and your scars will lighten
Vitamin E oil helps in accelerating the regeneration of skin cells, thus fading the marks significantly.
So, these were some of the effective home remedies to reduce scars. The natural treatments are potent and have no side-effects. Other popular how to heal scar treatments like bio-oil for scars are available too, but the natural cures are much better and more effective than those.
These are a cost-effective way for how to get rid of scars easily. Thus, if you are tired of using over the counter ointments and are not getting visible results, try using these remedies. The remedies mentioned above quicken the skin healing process and significantly reduce the visibility of the unsightly scars that may cause embarrassment. Using them will help you get rid of the scars quickly.