Dainty and delicate as the name sounds, honeydew is replete with a host of health benefits. People also call honeydew melon as honey melon. Read on to find out the marvelous ways in which the consumption of honeydew benefits health and beauty.
What is Honeydew?
Honeydew(Cucumis melo) is a species of melon that belongs to the cultivar group of muskmelons. It is a richly nutritious fruit whose origin lies in France. The flesh of the honeydew melon is light green, and its peel is yellowish-green in color(1).
The flesh is edible and used in the preparation of a variety of desserts. Honeydew is vested with remarkable health benefits owing to its rich nutritional composition.
Honeydew Nutrition Profile
Honeydew is rich in nutrients, vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients. The fruit contains carbohydrates, sugar, dietary fibers, fats, proteins, vitamins like thiamine riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, folate, vitamin B8, C, and K, and minerals such as zinc, sodium, potassium, phosphorus, manganese, magnesium, iron, and calcium.
Top 8 Extraordinary Honeydew Benefits for Health and Beauty
1. How yellow honeydew benefits for weight loss?
Consumption of yellow honeydew melon benefits the loss of excess body weight because Honeydew calories count is 36 calories in 100g of honeydew.
The fibrous content regulates bowel movement and accelerates the rate of metabolism of the body. It promotes digestion and suppresses the appetite as well.
2. How orange honeydew benefits for stronger teeth and bones?
Orange honeydew benefits the health and strength of bones and teeth. The muskmelon has calcium and phosphorus which enhances the mineral density, strength, and firmness of bones and teeth. Consumption of orange honeydew also prevents osteoporosis and weakness of bones.
3. How honeydew melon juice aids to avoid dehydration?
The juice of fresh and ripe honeydew benefits health by the prevention of dehydration. Drinking honeydew melon juice replenishes the water and electrolyte balance of the body. It can also quench thirst and keep the body perpetually refreshed and hydrated.
4. How honeydew seeds benefits for cardiac health?
Consumption of honeydew seeds benefits cardiovascular health. Honeydew seeds are replete with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant phytonutrients that protect the heart and the blood vessels against inflammation and oxidative stress by decreasing the levels of cholesterol, and blood pressure.
The potassium content of honeydew seeds is highly essential for vasodilation. Consumption of soaked honeydew seeds in the morning on an empty stomach can help in the prevention of cholesterol deposits and can keep the arterial walls sufficiently dilated to aid in the healthy circulation of blood.
5. How honeydew melon aids for the prevention and cure of diabetes?
Honeydew benefits the health of people who have diabetes. The muskmelon contains phytonutrients that control and stimulate the secretion of insulin and consequently the level of blood glucose. The glycemic index of the pulp of honeydew melon is very low. It makes honeydew an ideal dessert and fruit for people with diabetes.
6. How yellow honeydew benefits for ocular health?
Consumption of yellow honeydew benefits the health of the eyes. The melon contains antioxidants such as zeaxanthin and lutein that protects the eyes against oxidative stress and preserves the health of the retina. It can also prevent degenerative eye disorders like cataracts, blindness, and glaucoma.
7. How orange honeydew helps for boosting body immunity?
Honeydew benefits the body immunity with its rich content of vitamin C. Consumption of honeydew melon helps in warding off a variety of infections prevents brutal invasion by pathogens and protects the body against several diseases.
8. How is orange honeydew good for the nourishment of the skin?
The topical application of the pulp of honeydew on the skin can protect the skin against oxidative stress caused by free radicals. It can also prevent skin cancer, premature aging of the skin, wrinkles, dark spots, acne, blemishes, and more. It helps to keep the skin healthy and well-nourished over time.
- One honeydew
- Two cups of plain yogurt
- Two tablespoons of honey
- One tablespoon of brown sugar
- Rinse the honeydew melon and scoop out its flesh
- Discard the seeds and cut the flesh into tiny cubes
- Pour the yogurt, honey, and brown sugar in a blender along with the cubes of honeydew melon
- Blend the contents for about half a minute until the mixture attains a smooth and creamy consistency
- Refrigerate the mixture for about 30 minutes
- Pour out the cooled mixture into a glass
- Garnish with diced honeydew melon and serve chilled
- Two cups of diced honeydew melon
- 1/2 a cup of leafy green spinach
- 1/2 a cup of plain yogurt
- Two tablespoons of vanilla extract
- Two cups of toned milk
- Two tablespoons of honey
- Add the honeydew melon, spinach, yogurt, vanilla extract, milk, and honey in a blender and blend the contents for about half a minute until the mixture becomes smooth
- Add some more milk or yogurt to adjust the consistency
- Add a teaspoon of honey to sweeten the smoothie a bit more
- Garnish the smoothie with chopped honeydew and serve chilled
Honeydew Side Effects
The purines contained in green peas interfere with the renal health. Given below are a few side effects of consumption of green peas.
- Digestive disorders
- The allergies like hives, rashes, itching, etc.
- Acid reflux and nausea
- Interference with medication
- Complications with pregnancy
Honeydew melon is incredibly beneficial for health. Consumption of honeydew melon is not only fulfilling at the cost of just a few calories but can protect and preserve the health and sound functioning of the physiological systems. Follow uses and recipes mentioned above to avail honeydew benefits in best of its form.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the taste of honeydew melon?
The pulp of ripe and fresh honeydew melon tastes sweet and juicy with a soft texture and a musky note of fragrance.
2. Is honeydew melon juice good for health?
Honeydew melon juice is highly beneficial for health.
3. How long does honeydew stay fresh?
Honeydew melon can stay fresh for about 3-4 days when refrigerated.