You have been binging on burgers, fries, and Netflix for quite a while now. And you realized your digestive system is acting out. The bowel movement is recklessly shuttling between diarrhea and constipation, and your stomach is churning with pain.
Well, you are one amongst a thousand others who are suffering from IBS. IBS is a widespread disorder with a record of more than 3.5 million visits to the doctor’s chamber annually in the United States. Research suggests that the intake of probiotics in the form of food and supplements can aid in the natural treatment of bowel syndrome or IBS. You can start by taking probiotics for IBS for the alleviation of the symptoms and preserve your digestive system.
How Do Probiotics Work?
The administration of probiotics(1) is incredibly beneficial for the natural treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). Probiotics from the families of Saccharomyces and Bifidobacterium lactobacillus are proven remedies of IBS. Here is how the probiotics work for the cure of the signs and symptoms of IBS.
- Probiotics contain healthy gut bacteria that can inhibit the growth and spread of harmful bacteria in the digestive tract.
- The consumption of probiotics helps to enhance the protective functions of the immune system.
- Probiotics also help to fight against inflammation of the intestinal wall.
- Taking probiotics in the form of foods or supplements to ease the bowel movement and regulate its frequency as well.
- Probiotics help to balance and protect the healthy bacteria in the digestive passage, which helps in the cure of bloating and flatulence.
- Eating probiotic-rich foods also helps in the prevention of constipation, IBS, indigestion, and other digestive troubles as well.
[Also Read: Treat IBS With Natural Remedies]
Is It Safe to Take Probiotics?
Research is yet to make a general recommendation on the administration of probiotics for the cure of IBS(2), constipation, flatulence, bloating, and other digestive issues. Some strains of probiotics are however highly beneficial for the treatment of IBS. The consumption of probiotics in the form of foods and supplements is perfectly safe and devoid of side effects.
Check out the Tips of Making a Selection of Probiotics for the Cure of Ibs
- Choose a probiotic that is supported by sufficient evidence like medical research and clinical trials.
- Choose a probiotic that can cure your health problems. Probiotics are symptom-specific and vary from one digestive disorder to the other.
- Keep in mind that dosage is critical when it comes to taking probiotics in the form of supplements. Take note of the dosage recommended by the physician or manufacturer before purchasing the supplement.
- Experts advise sticking with the probiotic that you are taking for at least four to five weeks. This consistency helps in monitoring the improvement of the symptoms of IBS and ensures a quicker recovery as well.
- Some probiotics may not be safe for you. These probiotics include ingredients like oats, lactose, inulin, sorbitol, fructose, and xylitol, which tend to trigger adverse reactions. So check the ingredient list as well before selecting a probiotic for you.
[Also Read: Essential Oils for Irritable Bowel Syndrome]
How Effective are Probiotics for IBS?
Probiotics are remarkably effective for the natural treatment of IBS. The consumption of probiotics helps in fighting against harmful bacteria in the digestive tract and balance the healthy gut flora. It assists in protecting the intestinal walls and aids in fighting against intestinal infection and inflammation.
Taking probiotics helps by promoting the secretion of digestive juices and enzymes at the right time. Such timely secretion aids in better digestion and does away with gastrointestinal issues.
The consumption of foods and supplements rich in probiotics aids in doing away with the toxins in the digestive system. This is crucial for the cure for irritable bowel syndrome and other digestive issues.
The first sign of IBS or constipation prompts everyone to pop-in laxatives and other medicines that irritate the intestinal lining and often prove to be ineffective. So trust the results of extensive research and resort to healthy and natural probiotics for IBS cure and other digestive issues. Begin your day with probiotic foods, and eat light meals to recover quickly.
[Also Read: Yoga poses for IBS]
1. What is IBS?
IBS or Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a disease that involves constant pain in the abdomen, and a mixture of conditions similar to diarrhea and constipation. It is a chronic disorder of the large intestine that triggers severe abdominal cramps and floating with irregular bowel movement. Besides, IBS also triggers stress, anxiety, depression, and infections in the intestines.
2. What Are the Symptoms of IBS?
The symptoms of IBS include abdominal cramps, bloating, flatulence, constipation or diarrhea, and bouts of stomach ache. The administration of probiotics can help with the alleviation of the symptoms of IBS.
3. What Are the Causes of IBS?
IBS is a common digestive disorder that occurs due to causes like abnormal muscular contractions of the intestines, poor coordination of the nervous system, intestinal inflammation, infection of the intestines, and presence of harmful bacteria in the digestive tract.