Do you have tiny painful bumps on your arms and legs? Are you at your wits’ end trying to get rid of them? These are nothing but ingrown hair or razor bumps. Do not confuse them with genital herpes if they appear in your pubic area after a rough shaving session.
Ditch the razor right now and embrace the amazing home remedies for ingrown hair. The ingrown hair, scars, bumps, and irritation can disappear, and leave behind a glowing and flawless skin with these simple to use home remedies for ingrown hair.
Home Remedies for Ingrown Hair
1. Baking Soda
If you have got sensitive skin, then baking soda is one of the best home remedies for ingrown hair(1). The topical application of baking soda helps in the alleviation of the inflammation of the skin and soothes it. Baking soda exfoliates the skin gently and gets rid of the accumulated sebum and dead cells from the skin. It unblocks the pores and gets rid of the ingrown hair.
- Add a few tablespoons of plain lukewarm water to a few teaspoons of baking soda to prepare a paste.
- Smear the area concentrated with ingrown hairs with the baking soda paste. Leave it on for 10 minutes. Rinse it off with water with a bit of gentle scrubbing.
- Follow this home remedy every day to make your skin soft and supple.
- A tablespoon of baking soda every day is sufficient for the cure of ingrown hairs.
2. Sugar Scrub
Sugar may not be healthy for your diet, but it is excellent for the skin. If you have ingrown hairs, then you can get rid of them with the help of sugar scrub.
Sugar scrub helps to reduce the inflammation of the skin and alleviates the swelling and dryness of the skin as well. Exfoliate the skin and unclog the pores with a sugar scrub to do away with ingrown hairs.
Are you wondering how to prepare the sugar scrub? Well, it’s pretty simple.
- Mix half a teaspoon of sugar crystals with a tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil to prepare a granular salve.
- Gently exfoliate your skin with the sugar scrub with slight pressure on the ingrown hair.
- Rinse the scrub off with lukewarm water. Follow this home remedy daily for effectively curing of ingrown hairs.
- Half a teaspoon of sugar is good enough for the elimination of ingrown hairs.
[Also Read: Essential Oils to Get Rid of Ingrown Hair]
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera gel(2) is soothing and one of the best home remedies for infected ingrown hair. The gel helps to cure the inflammation and do away with the itching and irritating sensations.
The topical application of Aloe Vera gel makes the skin moist and nourishes the epidermis with a host of essential nutrients. The gel helps to soothe the affected areas of the skin as well.
- Apply the refreshing Aloe Vera gel to the skin and leave it on for about 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with plain water. Repeat this remedy twice daily for the natural cure of ingrown hair.
- The gel from one or two leaves is sufficient for making the skin soft and supple.
[Also Read: Get Rid of Ingrown Hair Naturally]
Honey is one of the best home remedies for ingrown hair scars. The anti-inflammatory compounds of raw honey work by alleviating the pain and infection of ingrown hair.
It heals the skin and nourishes it with nutrients. It forms a smooth coating on the skin and prevents dryness as well by thorough hydration.
- Apply a tablespoon of raw honey to the affected area and spread it evenly all over the skin.
- You can also mix honey with coconut oil before applying it to the skin.
- Let the application sit for about 15 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this home remedy every day to make your skin glow with health.
- A tablespoon of raw honey is perfect for the administration of this home remedy.
Fresh and ripe cucumber is one of the most soothing home remedies for ingrown hair. The refreshing cucumber juice cools the skin and heals the irritation and inflammation of ingrown hair.
Cucumber is rich in vitamin C and antioxidant compounds that destroy toxic free radicals and fight against oxidative stress of the skin.
The topical application of grated cucumber and cucumber juice on the skin can provide relief from ingrown hair scars in no time.
- Peel a fresh cucumber and slice it into circular pieces.
- Grate the pieces into a minced paste and refrigerate it.
- Apply the grated cucumber to the ingrown hair and hair scars.
- You can also rub your skin with the cold pieces of cucumber to soothe the irritation and itchiness and get rid of the ingrown hair scars.
- Half a slice of cucumber is sufficient for the treatment of ingrown hair and other skin problems.
[Also Read: Treat Ingrown Hair on Legs]
6. Coconut Oil for Ingrown Hair
You can apply coconut oil for ingrown hair removal at home. It contains essential fatty acids like lauric acid that possesses potent antimicrobial properties.
Massaging the affected areas of the skin with unrefined coconut oil helps in reducing the inflammation of the nodules of ingrown hair. It frees the passage of growth of the ingrown hair and eases it out of the skin as well.
The topical application of coconut oil makes the skin smooth and supple. It hydrates the skin, gets rid of dry patches, and nourishes it as well.
- Take two tablespoons of coconut oil in a microwave-safe dish and heat it for about 20 seconds until it melts and becomes slightly warm.
- Gently massage the area of the ingrown hair on the skin with the lukewarm coconut oil before going to bed at night. Repeat this daily for the removal of ingrown hair.
- Two tablespoons of coconut oil make for an excellent cure for ingrown hair.
Ingrown hair is an eyesore and painful for the skin as well. They form scars and bumps on the skin, and you are almost always left with no choice but to conceal them. But with these amazing home remedies for ingrown hair and hair scars, you can flaunt your flawless skin again. Follow through with the home remedies to get rid of the tough ingrown hair and make your skin look beautiful again.
1. How Can You Prevent Ingrown Hair?
Cleanse your skin every day with herbal soap and lukewarm water, and then moisturize your skin with coconut oil to prevent ingrown hair.
Do not shave your skin with a razor. Opt for waxing or embrace your body hair. Maintain good hygiene, a balanced diet, regular exercise, and a good skin routine for healthy and glowing skin.
2. Is Laser Hair Removal Effective for Ingrown Hair?
Laser hair removal is excellent for the removal of ingrown hair as it destroys the body hair entirely from the root.
3. How Is Potato Peel Helpful in Treating Ingrown Hair?
The peel of fresh potatoes can soothe the irritation of ingrown hair and can get rid of skin blemishes as well.