The unusual red bumps on skin areas like legs, armpits are not pimples but the ingrown hair. Though these do not pose a great threat to health but are quite irritating and unsightly. Further, these can also serve as a site of bacterial infections if not treated on time. Here you get some beneficial natural remedies for how to get rid of Ingrown hair(1) on legs.
Curious to know what causes the ingrown hair on legs(2)? Well, these happen due to improper application of hair removing methods like shaving, waxing, etc.
Sometimes it may also occur due to the clogging of hair follicles with dead skin cells. Also known as razor bumps, these red bumps happen when the hair grows back into the skin and are common in people with curly hairs.
How to Remove?
The sight of ingrown hair on legs after shaving is quite displeasing and one wants to remove the bumps or ingrown hair as soon as possible. Ingrown hair comes out of skin eventually. But if it is irritating or you wish to speed up the process then employ some effective home remedies.
For those who are looking for how to treat ingrown hair on legs, below mentioned are few excellent remedies for how to get rid of ingrown hair on legs naturally:
Sugar scrub can greatly help in removing ingrown hair(3). It exfoliates the skin, thus removing the dead skin cells and ingrown hair. Further, it also makes your skin smooth.
- To make the sugar scrub, take a cup of white sugar
- Add to it half a cup of jojoba oil or olive oil
- Add ten drops of tea tree oil and ten drops of lavender essential oil
- Stir the mixture and apply it on the affected area by gently scrubbing in a circular motion for some time.
It is an effective remedy for ingrown hair on legs and can be used once or twice a week. You can store the scrub in an airtight container for future use.
Salt is also an excellent exfoliator. It greatly helps in increasing blood circulation and reducing swelling. Application of salt is an effective treatment for how to get rid of ingrown hair on legs.
- Add one and a half teaspoon of table salt in a cup of lukewarm water
- Dip a ball of cotton in this mixture
- Rub it gently over the region with ingrown hair
- Leave it for some time and then rinse off with water
You can follow this procedure two times a day on a regular basis for how to remove the ingrown hair(4) on the back of legs.
3. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a magical cure for ingrown hair. Its anti-inflammatory properties help to soothe the skin. Further, it also aids in relieving you from itching and reduces redness which is caused by the infected ingrown hair on legs. Use it as an exfoliator and bid adieu to ingrown hair troubles.
- Add a tablespoon of baking soda(5) in a cup of water
- Dip a ball of cotton in the mixture of baking soda and water
- Dab the cotton ball on the area of ingrown hair and leave it for 5 minutes
- Rinse with water
You can follow this two to three times a day.
Alternatively, you can also make a scrub using the following-
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Make a thick paste and smear it on your skin in a slow circular motion
- Leave it for 5 minutes and wash the area with lukewarm water
4. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil can be used to reduce inflammation and irritation caused due to the ingrown hair on legs(6). It has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiseptic properties that help in healing the skin and preventing infection.
- Add around 5 drops of the oil in distilled water that measures two tablespoons
- Apply this diluted oil mixture on the region after cleansing the area with antibacterial soap
- Rinse the area with lukewarm water after 10 minutes
You can follow it two times a day.
- Take one tablespoon of olive oil
- Add to it three drops of tea tree oil
- Apply this mixture on the area and leave it for 10 minutes
- Wash it off with lukewarm water
- The alternative mix can be used twice in a day
How to Prevent ?
After having learned about how to get rid of ingrown hair on legs, note down some preventive measures that effectively discourage the growth of hair inside the skin. The most common cause of ingrown hair on legs is improper shaving or waxing that causes the hair to curl and grow back into the skin.
This problem should be treated by employing the right technique. If you are desperately looking for how to avoid ingrown hair on legs, then follow the below mentioned procedure:
Exfoliation is the First Step
The very first step before you head on to remove the hair on your legs is exfoliation. You might have noticed the appearance of black dots on legs of ingrown hairs after shaving.
This happens because your razor hasn’t been able to take out the complete hair from its follicle. Exfoliation helps in removing the dead skin cells(4) and opens the hair follicles thus making it easier for the hair to come off.
Use a natural homemade scrub for exfoliation or exfoliate with a loofah. You should avoid grainy scrubs as they may cause tears around the hair follicles increasing the probability of infection. Exfoliation is necessary before shaving or waxing.
Rinse Your Legs and Dab Dry
After exfoliating, rinse your legs and dab them dry. Do not use any kind of moisturizer on your legs as you have to clear ingrown hair all over legs.
Steam or Hot Compress
Steam can greatly benefit in easy removal of ingrown hair on the back of thighs and legs as it loosens and softens the hair. Dip a towel or washcloth in warm water and compress it on the area that you are going to shave.
Shave in the Same Direction
One should always shave in the direction in which the hair grows. Not shaving along the hair growth is a probable reason for ingrown hair on the back of legs. It prevents the hair from curling back and growing in the skin causing an ingrown hair bump on the leg. Use a razor with a sharp blade and do wash it every time.
Rinse with Cold Water After Shaving
Rinse your legs with cold water and avoid using water-based moisturizer on the area for at least 12 hours.
It is always better to opt for waxing as shaving leaves some visible hair. It is the best way for how to prevent the trouble of ingrown hair. Also, please note that skin tight clothes also increase the probability of ingrown hair.
If you have hair inside the skin, then do not try to pull it off with tweezers. Use the above effective home cures to ease the removal of ingrown hair.