Having a dry mouth accompanied by bad breath can cause a fair amount of discomfort. It is a result of a disease caused by the salivary glands, or lack of dental hygiene. Dry mouth is also referred to as xerostomia, is a condition that occurs when your mouth does not produce saliva to keep it wet.
Dry mouth is common in aging individuals and can also be found in those taking medications. But you don’t have to worry because dealing with a dry mouth is not as complicated as it may seem. Check out these surprising home remedies for dry mouth and embrace the potential benefits. Read on.
Severity of xerostomia or dry mouth symptoms ranges from mild oral discomfort to significant oral disease that can compromise the patient’s health, dietary intake, and quality of life.
How to Use Home Remedies for Dry Mouth Treatment at Home
Here are the top home remedies for dry mouth. Keep reading to explore more about these home remedies and their numerous oral health benefits and usage.
1. Coconut Oil for Dry Mouth
Coconut oil pulling is an ancient ayurvedic practice that helps keep your mouth moist and helps in treating dry mouth. Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. The cleansing effect of coconut oil can keep your mouth moist and also treat the symptoms of dry mouth(1) and its symptoms. Have a quick look for the effective use of coconut oil mouthwash for dry mouth.
- 1-2 teaspoon of extra virgin coconut oil
- Put the coconut oil into your mouth
- Swish the coconut oil for about 10-20mintues
- Ensure that the oil doesn’t touch the back of your throat
- Spit the oil after the time is over
- Gargle your mouth with lukewarm water and spit the water out
- Brush your teeth as usual
Repeat this once every morning
[Read: Mouthwash for Dry Mouth]
2. Cardamom for Dry Mouth
If you are looking for an ayurvedic home remedy to combat your dry mouth, then you must embrace the natural benefits of cardamom. Chewing on a pod of cardamom stimulates the flow of saliva and helps moisten the mouth. Besides, the aromatic aid can save you from the scourge of dryness-induced foul breadth.
- A pod of cardamom
- Chew a pod of cardamom thoroughly whenever your mouth is dry or after every meal
- Add a teaspoon of cardamom powder to a glass of hot water
- Let it steep for 10 minutes and then consume it
- Alternatively, you can also rinse your mouth with warm cardamom tea daily
Do this remedy once or twice daily and drink the tea twice daily
[Read: Home Remedies for Mouth Ulcer]
3. Fennel Seeds for Dry Mouth
The fragrant effects of fennel seeds make it an effective agent against bad breath associated with dry mouth. The fennel seeds are richly supplied with plant metabolites called flavonoids that help stimulate the salivary glands into action and enhance the flow of saliva. Moreover, chewing fennel seeds as a post-meal ritual can keep your mouth fresh for a long period and one of the best home remedies for dry mouth at night.
- 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds
How to use
- Take some fennel seeds and chew it
- Make sure that you always chew them after your meal every day
How much to use
Do this remarkable home remedy daily for outstanding results
[Read: Benefits of Fennel Seeds]
4. Green Tea for Dry Mouth
Green tea is packed with numerous medicinal properties to treat your dry mouth. Green tea is also one of the best herbs to combat dry mouth symptoms. The tea is well known for its antibacterial and antiseptic properties that can prevent the formation of cavities in the mouth. In addition, green tea is well known to regulate saliva production and keep your mouth moist.
- 1 teaspoon of green tea leaves
- A cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of honey
How to use
- Take some dried green tea leaves and boil in a cup of water
- Strain the tea and add honey for sweet taste
- Drink this green tea immediately
Consuming green tea for 2-3 times a day can give you optimum results for your dry mouth
5. Aloe Vera for Dry Mouth
Now it’s time to exploit the healing potential of Aloe Vera(2). Nature’s gift has immense benefits when it comes to health and beauty. Using Aloe Vera for dry mouth is an age-old remedy to treat your dry mouth. Aloe Vera can trigger the functioning of the salivary glands and enhances the production of saliva in your mouth. Aloe Vera helps protect the sensitive tissue in the mouth, an increase in the functioning of the taste buds. Keep reading to explore how to use Aloe Vera for dry mouth.
- 1/4 cup of Aloe Vera gel or Aloe Vera juice
- Cotton pads
- Add some water in the Aloe Vera juice and consume or rinse your mouth with it
- Alternatively, take some Aloe Vera gel on a cotton pad
- Apply it evenly inside your mouth
- Leave in on for few minutes and wash your mouth thoroughly with water
How much to use
Consuming Aloe Vera juice once daily is beneficial. In case you are applying the gel, you should do it twice or thrice a day.
[Read: Home Remedies for Bad Breath]
6. Ginger for Dry Mouth
Ginger has incredible medicinal benefits associated with it. These medicinal properties are due to the presence of a bioactive compound called gingerol. Ginger is also greatly known to stimulate saliva that can help in keeping your mouth fresh for a longer period. Also, the ginger has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic properties that destroy the bacteria present in your mouth. Go ahead to know about how to use ginger for dry mouth.
- 1 inch of ginger
- 1 cup of water
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- Take a small piece of fresh ginger and cut in into tiny pieces
- Add these pieces to a cup of water and bring it to a boil
- Strain the ginger tea and add some honey to taste
- Drink this mixture immediately
- Also, you can chew on a piece of ginger thought the day
Consume ginger tea for 2 to 3 times a day for effective results
7. Lemon for Dry Mouth
If you are wondering about a simple home remedy for dry mouth, then using lemon is great. Lemon juice can assist in stimulating saliva production and relieving the symptoms of dry mouth. The acidic nature in lime juice can help cleanse your mouth and eliminate your bad breath. Therefore, lemon helps regulates the production of saliva, thereby keeping your mouth moist. Have a quick look at how to use lemon for dry mouth.
- Half lemon
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 1 glass of water
- Squeeze the lemon and add the juice into the glass containing water
- Add honey for sweetening and sip this drink throughout the day to stay hydrated
- Make sure that you consume the lemon water with straw due to its acidic nature as it can cause enamel erosion
- Also, you can drink homemade lemonade to treat dry mouth
Do it twice a day for tremendous results
The remarkable home remedies for dry mouth are discussed and do not cause any harm to your oral health. Saliva is crucial for oral health, and these home remedies stimulate the production of saliva.
Dry mouth could be a significant concern if the condition prevails for a longer period. However, if any other medical concern accompanies dry mouth, and if you feel discomfort, please consult with your doctor.
[Read: Remedies to Cure Mouth Cancer]
1. What Are the Easy Ways to Cure Dry Mouth?
Drink plenty of water, avoiding certain medications, kicking your dehydrating habits, and improving overall oral care are easy and simple ways to cure your dry mouth and its symptoms.
2. What Are Health Complications That Occur Due to Dry Mouth?
Dry mouth can cause difficulty speaking, fungal infections in the mouth, sore throat, hoarseness, difficulty in chewing, and swallowing of food. Also, burning sensation in the mouth, dry nasal passages, and problem wearing dentures are health complicates that occur due to dry mouth.
3. What Products Can I Use to Treat Dry Mouth?
The commercially available products for dry mouth include oral sprays, moisturizing gels, and lozenges. These products are water-based solutions that provide temporary relief for xerostomia patients.