What if you have an important meeting in a week or two which can provide you with a promotion, but you cannot speak because of the dry throat problem. It is so itchy and uncomfortable that it can block your voice for some time. A dry throat can spawn out many different troubles that range from keeping you up through the night to ruining your day at work.
The feeling of dryness will not let you talk, smile, or even breathe properly. But worry not. Don’t let a dry throat get the better off you. Read on to find out about the marvelous natural dry throat remedies that are prepared with simple ingredients and are amazingly effective.
Dry Throat Remedies
What is dry throat?
Dryness of throat is a respiratory condition that is marked by a feeling of dehydration in the throat. It gets usually accompanied with fever, runny nose, and mucus congestion, shortness of breath, sore throat, and cold. The best way to treat a dry throat is to control and cure the factors which caused the dryness in the throat.
A dry throat is uncomfortable and can become harmful if not treated in time. However, timely administration of dry throat remedies can cure the feeling of dryness in the throat in a just a day or two.
What are the dry throat causes?
When we catch a cold, our nostrils get blocked with mucus congestion. It forces us to breathe through the mouth. The throat dries up when we start breathing through the mouth due to the constant exhalation and inhalation of air which absorbs all the saliva and moisture from the mouth. Some of the most common causes of constant dry throat and cough are listed below.
- Smoking and alcoholism
- Dry throat allergies
- Excessive consumption of caffeine
- Inflammation and infection of the mucous membrane
- Dust or air pollution
- Use of indoor air heaters and coolers
- Obstructive sleep apnea
What are dry throat symptoms?
Some of the most disturbing symptoms of the dry throat are listed below.
- Sticky and dry feeling in the mouth and the throat
- Frequent thirst
- Soreness of the throat
- Coughing fits
- Shortness of breath
- Burning sensation in the mouth
Top 5 fabulous natural dry throat remedies
1. Foods as natural dry throat remedies
Cure dry throat cough and dry sore throat by using basil and honey
The consumption of a mixture of basil and honey is incredibly effective for the natural treatment of dryness and pain in the throat and coughing fits.
How to use?
- Grind a tablespoon of freshly plucked basil leaves into a paste
- Add a tablespoon of honey to juicy pieces of basil to make a paste
- Mix a tablespoon of lukewarm water with the paste to form a mixture
- Take two tablespoons of the mixture in every couple of hours to cure the dryness of throat and coughing fits
- Alternatively, you can also brew a cup of honey and basil tea and add a pinch of powdered cinnamon to it
- Drink the tea thrice on a daily basis for the cure of a cough, sore throat, and dryness
- You can also have boiled honey and ginger or honey and basil candies for soothing and hydrating your throat
Benefits of using honey
Honey is remarkably effective in the cure of pain and inflammation. The humectant properties of honey help in curing the dryness of throat by forming a smooth film which helps to keep the respiratory passage moist and well hydrated.
The antiseptic, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties of honey work in unison to combat against all kinds of respiratory infections and diseases
Foods to eat
Eat the following foods and drink plenty of water to cure persistent dry throat and respiratory troubles.
- Ginger infusion
- Basil tea
- Onion and cayenne pepper infusion
- Bell peppers
- Chicken stew
- Tomato soup
- Ginger tea
- Warm turmeric milk
- Melted butter
- Fruit juice
- Green tea
- Fresh green vegetables and fruits
Foods to avoid
Avoid the following foods to preserve the health of the respiratory system and treat dry throat remedies.
- Sugary drinks
- Ice-creams and other frozen desserts
- Oily food
- Fast foods
- Caffeinated drinks
- Carbonated beverages like soda, etc.
2. Herbal treatments as natural dry throat remedies
Fix severe dry throat and mouth and extremely dry throat by using marshmallow root
The mucus secretion that oozes out of the marshmallow root is highly effective for relieving dryness of throat and mouth and coughing fits. It is one of the most excellent dry throat remedies.
How to use?
- Boil a cup of plain water
- Stir in a tablespoon of fresh and dried marshmallow root into the hot water
- Let the infusion simmer down
- Strain out the tea
- Add a teaspoon of honey to the tea
- Drink the marshmallow root infusion with slow sips
- Do this twice or thrice a day to cure the soreness of throat and tickle in the throat causing coughing fits
Benefits of using marshmallow root
Drinking warm marshmallow root tea helps in soothing the throat and nasal passage by the formation of the smooth mucilaginous film created by its mucus-like secretion which aids in the alleviation of the pain and hydrates the dryness in the throat.
The smooth mucilaginous coating helps in relieving the dry throat stuffy nose and chest congestion by aiding in the expulsion of mucus and helps to soothe irritation and burning sensation in the throat as well
Drink a small amount of marshmallow root tea before taking a cup of marshmallow root to ensure that your digestive system is not sensitive to it.
3. Use Essential Oils as natural dry throat remedies
Treat dry throat and cough and dry throat cold by using peppermint essential oil
Peppermint essential oil is one of the most effective essential oils for the dry throat remedies, and dryness of mouth and severe coughing fits. Inhalation of the essential oil can cure colds and provide relief from nasal congestion as well.
How to use?
- Boil 2-3 cups of plain water
- Pour the hot water into a large bowl
- Add two teaspoons of peppermint essential oil to the hot water in the bowl
- Inhale the aromatic steam and water vapor before going to bed at night and again after waking up in the next morning
- Use a towel to cover your head and the bowl so that the steamy vapor does not escape into the surroundings
- Do not eat or drink anything at least for an hour after the inhalation
- Do this on a daily basis for the natural cure of dry throat and cough
Benefits of using peppermint essential oil
The inhalation of peppermint essential oil vapors through the nose and mouth is highly beneficial for the natural remedy of dryness in throat, cough and cold, sore throat, dry throat stuffy nose, microbial infection of the respiratory canal, runny nose, and shortness of breath. The vapors flow down deep into the throat and thwart bacterial action, infection, inflammation and burning sensation in the throat.
Inhale the vapor slightly at first to ensure that you do not feel any burning sensation in your nostrils upon inhalation. Do not over-dilute the peppermint essential oil
4. Home Remedies as natural dry throat remedies
Cure extremely dry throat and cough by using apple cider vinegar
Drinking or gargling with lukewarm and diluted apple cider vinegar solution is profoundly effective for the natural treatment of dry throat cough and cold.
How to use?
- Mix two tablespoons each of lukewarm water and apple cider vinegar to prepare a solution
- Add half a teaspoon of powdered cayenne pepper powder to the solution
- Drink this solution twice in a day
- Alternatively, you can rinse with the solution thrice a day on a daily basis. Do not eat or drink anything at least an hour after rinsing
- Do this daily for the cure of extremely dry throat and cough
Benefits of using apple cider vinegar
The acidic, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties of the apple cider vinegar help in the natural treatment of a cough and common cold that cause the dryness of throat. Gargling with the solution hydrates the throat and inhibits bacterial action and infection.
Do not forget to dilute the apple cider vinegar with plain water before ingestion or gargling.
5. Natural treatment as laryngitis remedies
Treat dry throat pregnancy and dry throat allergies by using lukewarm salt water solution?
Gargling with lukewarm salt water solution is one of the best dry throat remedies during pregnancy. It has no side effects on pregnancy and is completely safe for the mother and the fetus.
How to use?
- Boil a cup of plain water
- Add two teaspoons of rock salt or common salt to the warm water
- Stir well to prepare a saturated salt solution
- Gargle with the solution twice a day for about30 seconds
- Do not eat or drink anything at least an hour after gargling
Benefits of using a lukewarm salt water solution
The saltwater solution, being hypertonic, inhibits bacterial action by osmosis. It also helps in the expulsion of mucus and relieves the throat and chest congestion.
Make sure that the water is not too hot otherwise your mouth might get scalded.
How to prevent dry throat?
- Drink plenty of water
- Do not neglect common colds and flu
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
Now you know all the possible ways for dry throat remedies. Work on them religiously to get the best results. Follow through with the natural dry throat remedies and keep the simple prevention tips in mind to protect your throat and respiratory tract and stay healthy and happy. Avoid all the conditions which exaggerate the situation of a dry throat. Hope your search for dry throat remedies ends here.