A dry mouth can cause a fair amount of discomfort. Usually, a dry mouth could be a result of a disease caused by the salivary glands, or lack of dental hygiene.
Whatever the reasons, a dry mouth, if neglected, could amount to a lot of oral health complications, including dental cavity, ulcers, and infections.
But, dealing with a dry mouth isn’t as complicated as it may seem. You can use the right mouthwash to prevent plaque build-up and other infections.
So, which mouthwash for dry mouth should you try? Well, try these mouthwashes at the convenience of your home to effectively cure a dry mouth!
- A common cause of dry mouth is dehydration.
- Dry mouth is often a side effect of a long term medication.
- Lack of Dental hygiene can also result in cavities and dry mouth.
- Bad breath, dental decay, cracked lips are common symptoms of dry mouth.
Best Mouthwashes That You Could Try For Dry Mouth
Mouthwash helps eliminate a dry mouth(1) in specific ways. It also depends on certain factors; for example, how much saliva does your mouth secrete? Are you on a long-term medication? Have you undergone/undergoing chemotherapy or radiation?
Fortunately, here are a few types of mouthwash that you can make at home to treat this condition.
1. Minty Mouthwash
2 cups distilled water, 1 tsp mint leaves, 1 tsp rosemary leaves.
- Boil the herbs in water. Once the water heats up, take them away from the heating source.
- Once the water cools down, strain the mixture and store it in an airtight bottle.
Rinse your mouth with this mouthwash daily.
2. Lemon Mouthwash
1 cup water, 1 tbsp lemon oil, 1 tsp glycerin, 1 tsp Aloe vera gel, and ½ cup soda. Pour it in an airtight bottle. Shake it well before use.
Use it twice daily for best results.
3. Baking Soda Mouthwash
60 ml water, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp peppermint oil.
Mix all the ingredients. Use this solution to gargle with it. You can use it to rinse your mouth too.
[Also Read: Baking Soda: Health Benefits & Uses]
4. Edible Oils with Water
Mix 2 tsp coconut oil or sesame oil with 1 tsp water and swish it in your mouth for about 10 minutes. Do not swallow. It is also known as an oil pulling method.
Clove(2) is known to be a cure for dental hygiene.
Take a pan and boil 1 cup of water. Once it starts to boil, add six cloves and cover and boil for 5 minutes. Turn off the heating source and let it cool down. Strain the mixture and use it twice daily for maximum benefits.
6. Water and Salt
Mix 1 tsp salt with 1 cup of water. Stir well and use it as a mouthwash or to gargle. It is an excellent mouthwash for dry mouth.
Ginger is also known to treat dry mouth. Grate ginger and extract its juice. Mix it with water and rinse mouth thoroughly.
Repeat thrice weekly.
Do’s and Don’t’s
The dry mouth itself isn’t a disease; it is always a side effect of an underlying medical condition or a side effect of ongoing treatment or medication. You need to undertake these precautionary measures.
- Make a list of all other symptoms that co-relate to dry mouth
- Maintain a routine of a dry mouth rinse before bedtime.
- Check out for allergies before trying out the suggested ingredients in mouthwash for dry mouth.
- Use a humidifier. It helps reduce dry mouth symptoms.
- Do brush with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Never try to self medicate.
- Also, Don’t consume sugar and carbonated chewing gums and drinks.
- Don’t consume alcohol as long as this symptom persists.
- Do not wear dentures while sleeping.
- Do not consume excess cold or hot beverages.
Saliva is crucial for healthy oral care. Many factors could play detrimental, and curb the secretion of saliva, for instance, intake of extreme cold/hot beverages, consumption of tobacco and alcohol.
Quitting or forgoing such habits may seem a task. While it’s equally important that you curb these habits and undertake the precautionary measures, you can also try these mouthwashes for dry mouth as effective home remedies, and do away with dryness in the mouth.
[ Read: Best Drinks For Dry Mouth ]
1. How Should I Choose a Mouth Wash for Dry Mouth?
If you want to use a store-bought mouth wash, you must read the ingredients of the mouthwash. Always choose sugar-free and alcohol-free mouthwash. Also, Xylitol helps in producing saliva.
2. What Is the Mouthwash Regime for Dry Mouth?
Mouth wash should be used twice daily. But a mixture of salt and water can be used as many times in the day. Always rinse your mouth after meals.