People around the world have varied skin types and so are the ailments related to it. From baby eczema to scaly skin, redness and patchiness of the skin to acne and other severe conditions, skin problems are many, and we are all looking for solutions on how to tackle these. Similarly, tinea versicolor is a common skin condition that mostly affects the shoulders and the trunk.
The correct use of natural treatments helps in all the tinea versicolor healing stages and treats the state well. Let us delve deep into the condition and check out how to get rid of tinea versicolor, which are the natural remedies, and precautions to take. Read on!
Natural Ways to Get Rid of Tinea Versicolor
What is tinea versicolor?
Tinea versicolor is also known as pityriasis versicolor. It is a common fungal infection that causes the skin to discolor and forms small patches on the surface. The skin condition mostly affects young adults and teens.
What are the different tinea versicolor causes?
A yeast overgrowth on the skin causes this fungal skin infection, but some of the conditions that trigger the causes include:
- Oily skin
- Humid and hot climate
- Week immune system
- Hormonal changes
How to get rid of tinea versicolor with natural remedies?
1. How to get rid of tinea versicolor with the aid of foods?
Use onion paste as a natural treat meant to heal tinea versicolor
Who knew that onion paste could help treat skin condition naturally? Onion is rich in different types of sulfur compounds such as ajoene. These compounds have antifungal properties that help in tinea versicolor home treatment.
How to use?
- Take a medium-sized onion and crush it to make a paste
- Apply the paste over the affected areas
- You can use this natural treatment two times a day and thrice a week to see maximum results
Benefits of using onion paste
The antifungal properties of onion help in soothing the skin irritation and redness. Prolonged and regular use of this natural remedy can help in getting rid of tinea versicolor.
Eat green vegetables and fresh fruits
Fresh fruits and green vegetables are known to boost your skin’s health. The fibers in the fruits help in eliminating all the toxins from the digestive system and removes the waste microorganisms from the body.
Add citrus fruits to your daily diet, which will help include vitamin C to your body, naturally
- Eat green vegetables such as green beans, broccoli, and green leafy vegetables
- Include cod liver, spinach, and carrot for a healthy and naturally-glowing skin
Benefits of fresh fruits and green vegetables
Fruits and green vegetables are a rich source of vitamin A, B, C, and E, and these are also known for boosting the immune system, which in turn would help in fighting the symptoms of tinea versicolor. You can also ask your physician for a personalized tinea versicolor diet.
Other foods to include in your diet
These foods help to fight against the fungal infection that causes tinea versicolor.
- Low carb foods
- Protein-rich foods
Foods to avoid
The following foods add up to the growth of the yeast fungi that causes rashes leading to tinea versicolor.
2. How to heal tinea versicolor on face and neck using herbal treatments?
Get rid of tinea versicolor on the chest and others using aloe vera
Aloe vera is one of the best natural remedies for treating tinea versicolor on the face, neck, scalp, and arms. It can also help in healing the itchy tinea versicolor and black skin by tinea versicolor. Moreover, the natural healing properties of aloe vera soothe the skin irritation, and it is loaded with anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties that help in getting rid of tinea versicolor.
How to use?
- Peel the aloe vera gel from the plant and take as much required
- Add a few drops of tea tree essential oil, which is an effective essential oil for treating tinea versicolor
- Prepare a mixture of the ingredients
- Spread the mixture over the affected areas
- You can gently massage the mixture over the scalp with your fingers
- Leave it for 30 minutes
- Wash your face, neck, chest, arms, and scalp with water
You can also shampoo your scalp after applying aloe vera with an herbal shampoo.
The best practice is to use natural aloe vera gel and not the one with preservatives to reap maximum benefits. Tinea versicolor on scalp should be treated carefully by using herbal shampoo.
Use of turmeric paste
Tinea versicolor also affects children and causes lighter to darker skin patches. It is advisable to visit a child specialist who would understand the symptoms of the skin condition well and suggest medications and treatments. However, you can also resort to natural treatments for treating tinea versicolor in babies fast. Turmeric powder is an excellent remedy for how to get rid of tinea versicolor.
How to use?
- Take 2 to 3 tablespoons of turmeric powder
- Add a few drops of water and make a paste
- Apply it over the skin of the baby
- Leave it for about 30 minutes
- Wash it with water and pat dry
- Apply a baby moisturizer
- You can use this treatment thrice a week
Turmeric contains curcumin that gets packed with anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties, which helps to cure tinea versicolor. Also, turmeric paste might not have any possible side effects.
[Read: Cure Baby Eczema Naturally]
3. How to get rid of tinea versicolor using essential oils?
Heal tinea versicolor using tea tree oil
Tea tree oil for tinea versicolor is one of the best essential oil that can treat this condition. Tea tree oil is extremely beneficial for the tinea versicolor on the neck owing to its composition and properties. Learn to know how.
How to use?
- Take 6-7 drops of pure tea tree oil and mix it with one tablespoon coconut oil
- Mix the two oils and apply it properly
- Keep it for 30 minutes and wash using warm water
Tea tree oil is replete with anti-inflammatory properties that help to impart a relief from itching, and its anti-fungal properties help to fight against fungal infection.
Other essential oils for tinea versicolor:
- Eucalyptus oil
- Patchouli Oil
4.How to get rid of tinea versicolor using other home remedies?
Use baking soda to heal tinea versicolor
As we have mentioned earlier that tinea versicolor occurs due to yeast-related fungus, which thrives on the acidic environment and our skin’s pH level are acidic. Moreover, tinea versicolor causes the surface to discolor and turn black in some of the cases. If you’re wondering how to get rid of tinea versicolor rash by using some effective home remedies, then read on.
How to use?
- Take two tablespoons of baking soda and add a few drops of water and make a paste
- You can add more baking soda if required
- Apply the paste over the affected areas and leave it for 20 to 30 minutes
- Wash with water and pat dry
- Apply a mild moisturizer
Baking soda helps in making the skin alkaline, and therefore, the tinea versicolor fungus cannot thrive on the alkaline environment. Also, the baking soda helps in bringing back the natural complexion.
Some people might not know if their skin is sensitive to baking soda or not. Therefore, it is recommended to use the baking soda paste on a patch to test if it causes skin irritation. In case it does, wash it off immediately with water.
Use coconut oil to heal tinea versicolor
Do you know how to get rid of tinea versicolor on the scalp using coconut oil? Read on to find out how this versatile oil is also beneficial to cure tinea versicolor.
How to use?
- Take coconut oil as required
- Apply the coconut oil to the skin affected by it
- You can either leave the coconut oil for a minimum of 30 minutes or overnight
- Wash it with water and pat dry
Coconut oil gets packed with antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties, best for a skin condition such as tinea versicolor. The monolaurin present in the coconut oil makes it an effective remedy that can be a permanent treatment. Moreover, coconut oil is light and does not feel sticky or lumpy.
Coconut oil might not suit some of the skin types. Therefore, it is recommended to use it on a small skin patch before applying to the entire affected area. In case you experience any skin irritation, wash off immediately with water and consult a doctor.
5. How to treat tinea versicolor through supplements?
If you’re looking for best supplements for how to get rid of tinea versicolor, then you must look out for supplements that are rich in vitamin A, B, C, D, and E. These vitamins help in boosting the health of the skin as well as keep the immunity high.
Most fungal infections such as tinea versicolor get treated with the following topical agents that include:
- Skin lotion containing Clotrimazole
- Terbinafine gel
- Micaderm cream
How to use?
- You can take supplements to cure tinea versicolor along with your daily diet
- Apply the skin lotions, creams, or gel that contains these supplements
It is advisable to always consult the doctor for prescribed medications or supplements only.
What are the precautions that one can take while suffering from tinea versicolor?
- Lesser exposure to direct sunlight as it may trigger the symptoms of tinea versicolor to worsen
- Using a non-greasy sunscreen lotion always before heading out during the daytime
- Not using any oily skin product
- Not wearing tight clothes, which may cause skin itching
- Wearing softer fabrics such as cotton
Tinea versicolor vs.Vitiligo
As both these skin conditions look like each other, one main difference is that tinea versicolor causes the skin to turn flaky or scaly, while people suffering from vitiligo have normal skin texture.
Although skin conditions may worsen at times, some effective home remedies help treat them completely. Tinea versicolor is a common skin condition, which can be adequately taken care of if you take proper precautions and treatments.
We hope that this detailed article helps you to understand how to get rid of tinea versicolor using easy and effective natural treatments.