If you find that you are tossing and turning around in bed more frequently and unable to sleep during the night. It is probable that you have sleeping problems. Many people regularly have trouble sleeping due to anxiety, stress, depression, and much. However, in spite of medications, they can’t seem to cure. However, there are some essential sleeping that works as great sleeping aids and induces sleep in the right way for a healthy sleeping pattern.
There are several types of sleep disorders which include
- Sleep Insomnia: This disorder involves trouble initiating sleep.
- Hypersomnolence: It involves daytime sleepiness without circadian rhythms.
- Circadian Rhythm: This involves daytime sleepiness with insomnia.
- Sleeping Sickness: It is a chronic disorder that changes contracts biological sleep pattern. If left untreated, it is fatal.
The factors that cause sleep disorders include
What Essential Oils are Good for Sleeping?
There are several essential oils for sleeping. In this article, we will be answering your questions such as how do you use essential oils for sleep? , where do you put lavender oil to help you sleep? and much more.
1. Lavender Essential Oil for Sleeping
Why use lavender essential oil for sleeping
Lavender essential oil has several properties that can help people fall asleep easily. It has antioxidants, soothing effect, and wondrous smell that helps in sleeping.
How to use lavender essential oil for sleeping
- Take a few drops of the oil in your hands
- Rub your hands together gently
- Smell the oil before going to bed
2. Cedarwood essential oil for sleeping
Why use cedarwood essential oil for sleeping
The cedarwood essential has soothing and cooling proprieties. It also has antioxidants that not just help in sleeping, but for curing other conditions as well.
How to use cedarwood essential oil for sleeping
- Take few drops of the oil in your hands and inhale
- You can also combine with other lighter oils such as lavender.
3. Vetiver essential oil for sleeping
Why use vetiver essential oil for sleeping
The vetiver essential oil just like lavender has a rich aroma. It has a muddy or earthy smell that helps in sleeping.
How to use vetiver essential oil for sleeping
- Take drops of the oil and smell it
- You can also mix it with other carrier oils as well.
4. YlangYlang essential oil for sleeping
Why use ylang-ylang essential oil for sleeping
The ylang-ylang essential oil has an amazing scent that smells fruity. It also has a floral aroma as well that can help to fall asleep.
How to use ylang ylang essential oil for sleeping
- Take a few drops of the oil and apply to your skin.
5. Marjoram essential oil
Why use marjoram essential oil for sleeping
Apart from being used for cooking purposes, the marjoram essential oil is also used for sleeping due to its relaxing effect it provides on an application.
How to use marjoram essential oil for sleeping
- Take a few drops of the oil and directly apply to the skin.
Other oils for sleeping
1. Sweet almond oil for sleeping
Why use sweet almond oil for sleeping
Sweet almond oil has a pleasant aroma like lavender which makes it a great agent to help to fall asleep.
How to use sweet almond oil for sleeping
- Take a few drops of the oil
- Gently massage it around your foot, neck, or back.
2. Coconut oil for sleeping
Why use coconut oil for sleeping
Coconut oil is a great oil to be used for sleeping as known to control insulin levels due to which it can help to prevent sleep troubles.
How to use coconut oil for sleeping
- Use this oil in your diet while cooking
- You can also consume a little amount directly as well.
How do these essential oils for sleeping benefit?
Essential oils are organic and natural. Hence, they not just provide relaxing and soothing effects they also protect the body from conditions as they contain antioxidant, antibacterial, antifungal, and much more properties.
Why use these essential oils for sleeping?
These essential oils for sleeping have a variety of benefits. They provide the soothing and cooling effect, reduce joint and muscle pains, and also contain a rich aroma that can help in sleeping.
How to use essential oils for sleeping
The essential oils for sleeping can be applied to different parts of the body such as the neck, back, and feet before sleeping. They can also be inhaled or used in a diffuser as well.
Do’s and Don’ts of essential oils
Even though essential oil can cure the condition, there are some do’s and don’ts to note as well.
- Always buy oils from organic stores.
- Check for any allergic reactions before using the oil
- Don’t consume these oils
There are a lot of recipes you can do by yourself for curing sleeping disorders. Some DIY recipes include
- Turmeric Tea: Take milk and heat it. Then add one teaspoon turmeric, cinnamon, and honey. Then add quarter teaspoon ginger. Stir until it mixes and then pours it into a mug.
- Valerian Tea: Take one teaspoon of valerian root and add it boiling water. After the root blends into the water and strain it. Then pour the liquid and sip it.
There are some precautions that you must be aware before using these essential oils include:
- Check the product description before buying the oil.
- Buy only from a certified or trusted store
- Consult a healthcare expert before using them as a safe side.
The possible side effects of using these oils include
- Consuming oils without proper knowledge as they can lead to adverse health effects
- Some oils can cause allergic reactions which need immediate medical attention.
List of essential oils for sleeping
Some essential oils for sleeping include:
- Roman Chamomile essential oil
- Bergamot essential oil
- Sandalwood essential oil
- Neroli essential oil
- Frankincense essential oil
Other Homemade Recipes
- Warm milk and honey: Before going to bed sip warm milk and honey. This will not only help you fall asleep better, but it will also provide the body with nutrients as well.
- Food: Consume food rich in protein and carbohydrate. This will help in falling asleep better.
- Smoothie: Take kale, bananas, and flax seeds. Blend them together to make a delicious smoothie that can induce sleep.
Several factors can affect our sleep pattern. However, there are essential oils for sleeping available that can cure the condition. Apart from using oils, homemade recipes such as having warm milk and honey, protein and carb-rich diet, or smoothies can also help in inducing proper sleep as well.