Allergies are very common these days. You can find every alternate person who is allergic to one thing or the other. Be it climatic change from summer to spring or fall to winter; one can catch allergies at the drop of a hat! Some people are perennially allergic; it can be either with food items, climatic change or insects!
Here, essential oils for seasonal allergies are in use as a beneficial complementary therapy. Essential oils for seasonal allergies are an effective alternative as other treatments can show side effects whereas essential oils are an organic and natural way of treating seasonal allergies.
Symptoms of Allergies
- A runny nose
- Watery eyes
- Shortness of breath
Types of Seasonal Allergies
Majorly allergies are divided into
- Respiratory Allergies are reactions affecting the respiratory tract like lungs and spread out further.
- Food allergies are another component which affects millions of people. These allergies strike as a reaction to certain food item one ingests and reacts with the body.
- Skin Allergies are allergies contacted on the skin because of a reaction to an external or internal element.
Other allergies also constitute a component, and they are due to different reasons.
Causes of Seasonal Allergies
Majorly spring, fall, winter and summer allergies affect millions every year and are standard. Prime causes of seasonal allergies include
Trees are regarded as the main reason behind springtime allergies.
Allergies during the summer month originate from the hay cutting season and are also known as hay fever.
Allergies during the fall season are caused due to the pollen of ragweed, nettles, mugworts etc. and are difficult to control.
During winters in-house allergens such as molds, pet dander or dust mites are the main reasons behind seasonal allergy.
Why use essential oils for seasonal allergies
As aromatherapy work on the sense of smell, essential oils for seasonal allergies can affect your body through the olfactory channel. Also, when applied topically on the skin, diluted with a suitable carrier oil, they can treat your allergy by entering your bloodstream.
Following are some of the most useful essential oils for seasonal allergies
1. Lavender essential oil for seasonal allergies
Why use Lavender oil for seasonal allergies
Reasonably known for its quality of reducing inflammation and bringing a sense of calm, lavender oil can be used beautifully during allergy. According to a study, lavender oil reduces inflammation and decreases mucous cell size.
How to use Lavender oil for seasonal allergies?
Using this oil in a diffuser would be the best way to take benefit from it. Alternatively, one can dilute it in a few drops of coconut oil and add it to the bath.
2. Eucalyptus essential oil for seasonal allergies
Why use Eucalyptus oil for seasonal allergies
It is best known as an anti-congestion oil which reduces inflammation considerably. Eucalyptus has its cooling effect which is excellent for treating allergies.
How to use Eucalyptus oil for seasonal allergies?
The best way to use eucalyptus oil is to diffuse it in the air through a diffuser.
3. Peppermint essential oil for seasonal allergies
Why use Peppermint oil for seasonal allergies
It is known for its anti-inflammatory effect making it wonder oil for common allergies like a cough, cold, asthma, and sinusitis. It reduces phlegm and mucus. It works wonderfully in a cough by exhibiting anti-spasmodic activity by lowering contractions that cause intermittent coughing.
How to use Peppermint oil for seasonal allergies?
Diffusing this oil will work nicely in unclogging the sinus. Also, applying it topically after mixing with jojoba or coconut oil is an excellent technique.
4. Lemon essential oil for seasonal allergies
Why use Lemon oil for seasonal allergies
As it is known, having lemon and citrus fruits are very beneficial in the cold and flu. Similarly, the lemon essential oil helps treat sinus and clears congestion very effectively. It is also known to boost energy and alertness.
How to use Lemon oil for seasonal allergies?
One can apply it topically by mixing with olive oil or use a diffuser to inhale the vapors from the oil. It is a perfect mood enhancer.
5. Oregano essential oil for seasonal allergies
Why use Oregano oil for seasonal allergies
Oregano essential oil is a powerful remedy for treating common colds, toothaches, and digestive problems. Its anti-fungal,anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties are potent competitors to pharma drugs. It contains two main compounds namely Carvacrol and Thymol which are best known for their anti-fungal and anti-viral properties.
How to use Oregano oil for seasonal allergies
Pour a few drops of the oregano oil on to a cotton ball and inhale it multiple times every day.
6. Basil essential oil for seasonal allergies
Why use Basil oil for seasonal allergies
It reduces the inflammatory response of allergens. It acts as a support to our adrenal glands in the body which are responsible for a majority of bodily functions. Basil oil improves blood circulation to the brain heart and muscles in case of outside threats.
It fights fatigue, inflammation, and pain and detoxifies the body of bacteria and viruses. It causes to kill the bacteria and virus that causes respiratory damage.
How to use Basil essential oil for seasonal allergies?
Basil oil can be consumed by adding just a drop in your soup, salads, or any other dish. Alternatively, it can be diluted with coconut oil and applied topically on the back of the neck and the chest region.
7. Tea tree essential oil for seasonal allergies
Why use Tea tree oil for seasonal allergies
It is anti-inflammatory and has antiseptic properties. It can destroy allergy causing airborne pathogens.
How to use Tea tree oil for seasonal allergies?
It can be used topically on the skin in cases of hives and skin rashes after mixing with coconut oil. It is in use as a disinfectant and household cleaner which acts quite effectively on allergens.
Home remedies for seasonal allergies.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Mix two tbsp of apple cider vinegar with warm water and drink twice a day to get relief.
- Natural Honey: Consume one tsp of honey with warm water twice a day for relieving the allergy symptoms.
- Probiotics: Consume a diet rich in fermented foods and drinks as they are a natural source of probiotics.
- Always be careful to use quality essential oils.
- One has to be extra careful while treating allergies with essential oils because some oils can trigger specific allergies. So be well informed, always consult your doctor before use and test it on a patch of your skin before extensive use. Wait for twenty-four hours, and only if it doesn’t show any reaction, then it is safe to apply.
- Always dilute these oils in carrier oils before use. Some good carrier oils are coconut oil, olive oil a castor oil.
- Always remember to use only one to two drops on your primary use of these oils to determine whether or not you have an allergic reaction to it.
Do’s and Don’ts of essential oils for seasonal allergies
- Before using the essential oils consult an expert.
- Dilute these oils with a suitable carrier oil like jojoba or coconut oil especially under sensitive areas like eyes or neck.
- When ingesting this oil orally, be very careful to take for a limited amount of time, and then make a two-week break and then start again.
- Never keep it near children, elderly person, and pregnant women.
- Do not leave the bottle open for too long.
On a concluding note, use nature as a remedy everytime you fall sick and return with vibrancy. Essential oils for seasonal allergies are an organic way to treat this nuisance of seasonal allergies plus they also help in relaxing your mind and body. You are recommended to exercise caution regarding the use of seasonal allergies as they come with their reactions towards your allergies. Dip into the goodness of essential oils and bounce back to your health.