Tackling allergies is not an easy task. Allergies can attack out of nowhere. A whiff of flower pollen, a touch of pet fur, a little dust, or perhaps a tiny insect bite is all that takes to trigger allergic reactions. And then the episode starts.
It begins with a sneeze or two before and goes on to a runny nose, sore throat, sneezing and coughing, and whatnot. Before you know it, the allergic reaction compels you to crawl into the bed with a blanket and mug of herbal tea. But would you believe it if you are said that a dash of apple cider vinegar can drive the sneezes and coughs right away in no time? No? Well, check out the ways to use apple cider vinegar for allergies.
What are Allergies?
Allergies or allergic(1) reaction is a defense mechanism of the body to fight against the invasion of foreign substances like insect venom, flower pollen, pet fur, and dander, etc. Allergies can be mild or severe.
Mild allergies manifest in the form of sneezing fits, runny nose, runny and red eyes, mucus congestion of sinuses and nostrils, and itchiness of eyes, noses, and throat.
Some of the most common causes of allergies include drugs and medicines, insect bites and stings, food, pet fur, fungal spores, dust mites, and pollen. An allergic reaction is the response of the immune system of the body to these factors that invade the body.
The administration of home remedies prepared by using apple cider vinegar is fantastic for the cure for sinus and respiratory allergies.
[Also Read: How to Get Rid of Allergies Naturally]
What is apple cider vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar is vinegar that is produced by the fermentation of apple juice. The natural sugars present in apples get fermented by bacteria and yeast which converts the fluid into alcohol and then vinegar in the final step. Health experts and physicians claim that apple cider vinegar is not just an ordinary kitchen ingredient but an excellent home remedy for a wide range of ailments due to its content of citric acid, malic acid, acetic acid, lactic acid, and succinic acid.
The administration of apple cider vinegar is one of the most useful home remedies of allergies.
Why should you use apple cider vinegar for allergies?
The application of apple cider vinegar for allergies is excellent for the natural treatment of allergic reactions and infection because of the following reasons.
1. Boost your immune system with apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains malic acid, acetic acid, succinic acid, and a load of vitamins and minerals that can boost body immunity(2) and help to fight against seasonal allergies.
2. Apple cider vinegar can clear the sinuses
Apple cider vinegar contains with potassium, magnesium, vitamins E, A, B2, B1 and other essential nutrients that help to cleanse the cavities of the sinuses and contribute to the alleviation of the symptoms of allergies.
Top 4 fabulous DIY recipes and methods for using apple cider vinegar for allergies
- Honey and Apple Cider Vinegar
- Steam of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Cayenne Pepper and Apple Cider Vinegar
- Ginger and Apple Cider Vinegar
1. Manuka honey and apple cider vinegar
The consumption of a drink of apple cider vinegar and manuka honey on a daily basis helps to alleviate the allergic reactions and provides a soothing effect too.
How to use?
- Take a tablespoon of manuka honey and add a tablespoon of the raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar to it to make a paste
- Heat a glass of water in a saucepan for a few minutes
- Add the paste of manuka honey and raw apple cider vinegar to the lukewarm water with gentle stirring to prepare a solution
- Drink the solution of manuka honey and unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- Do this twice a day for a few weeks to cure the sinus pain and inflammation
The antibacterial and antiviral properties of organic honey get accentuated by the addition of raw and pure apple cider vinegar for allergies.
The consumption of the solution of manuka honey and apple cider vinegar helps in the natural cure of inflammation and infection of the sinuses. It soothes the soreness and aids in relieving sinus and nasal congestion by the expulsion of mucus.
2. Steam of apple cider vinegar for allergies
The inhalation of the steam of apple cider vinegar twice a day is excellent for the natural treatment of allergies.
How to use?
- Boil two cups of plain water
- Pour the hot water into a large bowl
- Add one cup of raw and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar to the hot water in the pot and stir well to prepare a solution
- Lower your head towards the bowl and inhale the steamy and pungent water vapor of apple cider vinegar twice in a day-once before going to bed at night and another after waking up in the next morning
- Use a towel to cover your head and the bowl so that the vapor does not escape into the surroundings
- Do this on a daily basis for the natural cure of sinus and respiratory allergies
- Do this twice a day for a few weeks
The steam method is one of the safest and most efficient ways of the natural treatment of sinus infection, allergies, and inflammation. The moist and warm steam soothes the sinus pain and provides relief from sinus congestion by draining out the mucus from the sinuses.
The inhalation of the vapor of apple cider vinegar for allergies is remarkably useful. The antibacterial and antiviral properties of raw and pure apple cider vinegar help in the natural treatment of inflammation, allergic reactions, and infection of the sinuses. The mellow warmth of the steam of apple cider vinegar is exceedingly curative and soothing the sinus and respiratory tract.
3. Cayenne pepper and apple cider vinegar for allergies
A decoction of apple cider vinegar and cayenne pepper is all you need for allergies.
How to use?
- Put a cup of water on the boil in a saucepan
- Add a 1/2 teaspoon of powdered cayenne pepper and one tablespoon of honey to the water in the pan and boil the contents of the pot for a few minutes more
- Take the infusion off the flame and add a tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar to the tea
- Stir well to prepare a solution
- Drink this decoction
- Do this on a daily basis for the natural treatment of sinus and respiratory allergies
The pungent nature of cayenne pepper is remarkably effective in instantly curing fits of allergic reactions. Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin which helps in unclogging the sinus and respiratory passage by the softening and draining out of the mucus that gets accumulated in the respiratory passage(3). This natural remedy for allergies helps in providing relief from nasal congestion and sinus pain caused by the build-up of phlegm. Drinking a lukewarm solution of cayenne pepper and apple cider vinegar aids in the cure of sinusitis too.
4. Ginger and apple cider vinegar
Drink a concoction of apple cider vinegar and ginger tea to rout out the allergies entirely.
How to use?
- Set a cup of water to boil in a saucepan
- Mince a chunk of fresh and juicy ginger into shreds
- Grind some of the pieces of ginger to extract the ginger juice
- Add two teaspoons each of the ginger juice and ginger bits to the water in the saucepan and boil for a couple of minutes
- You can also throw in a teaspoon of each of black pepper and cloves into the decoction while cooking it
- Take the ginger infusion off the flame and add 2-3 teaspoons of raw apple cider vinegar to it
- Stir well to prepare an evenly dissolved solution
- Drink the mixture of ginger infusion and apple cider vinegar twice a day on a daily basis for the cure of sinus allergies
The mix of ginger infusion and apple cider vinegar for allergies is significantly useful. The anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and immune-boosting properties of ginger get enhanced by the addition of apple cider vinegar. It also help in providing relief against sinus inflammation, irritation, and infection of the sinuses.
A few words of caution
- Do not drink apple cider vinegar in excess as it might cause acidity and stomach flu.
- Make sure that the ingredients added to apple cider vinegar for the preparation of tonics are fresh and completely natural.
- If you are suffering from medical conditions like a hernia or low potassium, then please avoid taking apple cider vinegar for allergies.
Allergies cannot be driven out in a day, not even by the strongest of medicines, let alone apple cider vinegar. But the use of apple cider vinegar can undoubtedly soothe the pain, irritation, nasal congestion, and other signs of discomfort associated with allergies in just a few minutes. Let the warmth and medicinal properties of apple cider vinegar work wonders for your health and well being.
Now you know how to cure allergies with ACV. Follow through with the natural remedies discussed above and get rid of allergies. These home remedies for allergies might seem ancient, but there is not a trace of doubt on their effectiveness. Start implementing them right from today to cure sinus and respiratory allergies and lead a healthy and hearty life.