If you see that there is a tumor-like structure or severe swelling on top of any joint in your body, there are high chances that it could be Ganglion Cyst. In this condition, there could be one large cyst or many smaller cysts that may develop around the joints or covering of the tendons in your body.
These Cysts are more common in women than in others and on average, more than 70% of cases of Ganglion Cysts have been found to occur in people between 20 to 40 years of age. The best remedy to get rid of ganglion cyst naturally is through the use of essential oils.
Being completely natural and organic compounds, essential oils for ganglion cyst offer significant relief from the pain and discomfort caused by this ailment.
The precise reasons behind the occurrence of Ganglion Cysts(1) are yet unknown. Research is still going on to find out the primary cause that triggers these cysts, however, some of the factors that could cause a Ganglion cyst are:
- Trauma or Accident
- Problems with the tendon sheath
- The Ganglion Cysts usually appear as a bump that changes size.
- The bumps are usually soft. They can be anywhere ranging 1 to 3 centimeters in diameter.
- The bumps caused due to Ganglion Cysts do not move.
- The bumps might appear suddenly.
- Ganglion Cysts may cause some degree of pain, usually followed by acute or repetitive trauma.
- If the pain persists, Ganglion Cyst is usually chronic and is made worse by joint motion.
- When the cyst is connected to a tendon, weakness may be felt at the affected joint.
The places where Ganglion Cysts are most likely to occur are mentioned below.
- Wrist: It mostly occurs on the back of the hand at the wrist joint, but it may also develop on the palm side of the wrist. Wrists are the most common areas which are affected by the Ganglion cyst.
- Foot: It can occur on the top of the foot.
- Finger: Ganglion cyst can occur in the fingertip just below the cuticle. The Ganglion cyst on the finger is generally called mucous cysts.
- Hand: It typically occurs adjacent to the tendons and joints in hand.
- Thumb: It can occur at the joints of the thumb.
- Palm: It can appear on the base of the fingers on the palm as small pea-sized bumps.
- Knuckle: It may appear on the knuckle joints in hands.
- Elbow: Ganglion cyst sometimes occurs on the elbow joint.
- Toe: It can occur on the toe joints.
What Are Essential Oils Suitable for Ganglion Cyst?
1. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense oil has potent anti-tumour properties. Frankincense essential oils are commonly used to cure abnormal skin growths and cysts. There are also significant anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties in Frankincense essential oil which offers relief from inflammation, pain, and discomfort caused by a ganglion cyst.
How To Use?
- Add a few drops of frankincense essential oil to a carrier oil like grapeseed oil.
- Apply the mixture twice daily. The ganglion cyst is expected to disappear within four days.
- If it does not, contact a health care expert for other possible remedies.
2. Lemongrass Essential Oil
Lemongrass essential oil(2)comes from the distillation of fresh lemongrass blades using the steam method. It offers excellent relief from for muscle pain, slack tissue, and poor circulation. It has unique pain-relieving properties which would help ease the body from the pain of the cyst.
How To Use?
These essential oils can be used both in dilute and undiluted forms. Apply the oil to the ganglion cysts and massage gently.
3. Oregano Essential Oils for Ganglion Cyst:
Anecdotal reports show that oregano essential oils help in getting rid of Ganglion cysts completely. It has excellent anti-tumour properties and thus can quickly cure the cysts.
How to use?
Oregano essential oil when mixed with frankincense oil in a base ingredient such as castor oil gives fast results in the treatment of Ganglion Cysts. It is a concentrated oil and thus must be diluted before applying it on the skin.
4. Thyme Essential Oils
Thyme essential oils are extracted from the leaves of the thyme herb. It gives a soothing warm sensation when applied to the skin. This warm sensation provides immense relief from the agonizing pain of the ganglion cysts.
How to use?
The thyme essential oil may or may not be diluted before use. Apply a few drops on the ganglion cyst twice daily. Its expected reaction period is a few weeks.
5. Cypress Essential Oils
The Cypress essential oils possess stimulant properties which helps in correcting poor circulation. It also has anti-inflammatory, analgesic and diuretic properties which effectively reduce pain and help drain the fluid in ganglion cysts.
How to use?
This essential oil can be used either by diluting it with a carrier oil or by directly applying it on the ganglion cyst.
Besides these methods, all the five oils can be mixed in a particular proportion and used in forms of
- Castor oil pack
- Massage cream
Making these mixtures is easy and can be prepared by simple methods at home. It does not add any exotic ingredient that is not available in the market. It uses straightforward ingredients to make an excellent solution for ganglion cysts. Using the essential oils in these three forms makes it very easy to use. Moreover, mixing all the essential oils is just like adding up their curing properties. This makes the treatment fast.
- Many of the essential oils are strictly restricted to pregnant women. They must consult a health care professional before using the oils.
- These oils can be stored in proper storage conditions as suggested and must be kept away from children.
- Essential oils must never be consumed without expert advice as they can be toxic.
- Essential oils must never be used in vast amounts as they can be harmful.
[Read: How to Get Rid of a Cyst]
Other Home & Natural Remedies
Other than using essential oils for ganglion cyst, you can use the below-mentioned home remedies as well: –
- Soak a cotton cloth in warm water and wrap it over the ganglion cyst. Let it stay for a few minutes. Then repeat this technique three-four times daily to get rid of a ganglion cyst.
- Dip a black tea bag in warm water for five minutes. Soak out the excess water. Now hold the bag over the affected area for five minutes. Repeat twice daily.
- Mix one tsp of turmeric in a warm glass of milk and drink before sleeping. Repeat this till you notice an improvement in the condition.
[Read: Home Remedies of Ganglion Cyst ]
Essential oils are wonders of nature that bring to you natural cure for most complicated problems. You can also use the home remedies mentioned above to get rid of the pain and discomfort caused by ganglion cysts. Before using essential oils, you must consult an expert and seek guidance.
1. Can ganglion cysts cause nerve damage?
Ganglion Cysts are usually painless, however, if the cyst presses against a nerve, however small it is, it could cause pain, tingling and even muscle weakness causing damage to the nerve. Hence it is recommended that you immediately rush to the hospital.
2. Are ganglion cysts hereditary?
Although the origin/cause of this symptom still tends to be ambiguous, however, some experts tend to categorize this disease under the hereditary weakness category.
3. How long does it take for a ganglion cyst to go away?
Most of these cysts go away in time without any treatment, they tend to last for a long time, up to 12-18 months before they disappear. It is recommended that if it is not causing pain, you could simply wait for it to go away.