The presence of bunions is easily noticeable on the side of your big toe. A bunion is a deformity in the joint that the base of your big toe with the foot(1). While some report tight-fitting shoes to be the cause, others call it a genetic disease.
The general signs and symptoms of bunions include the shift of big toe towards other toes, the joint protruding outwards, redness, and pain.
Essential oils are concentrated oils with therapeutic values. Essential oils for bunions have anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties which help heal the soreness and reduce inflammation.
Did You Know!
Essential Oils for Bunions
1. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is known for its aromatic properties. This oil is obtained from the peppermint plant and possesses excellent qualities that help treat various conditions(2).
[Also Read: Surprising Benefits of Peppermint Oil]
Peppermint oil is anesthetic in nature and also has some antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. The mixture of these features helps get relief in the bunion pain.
Peppermint oil is also helpful in reducing arthritis pain, which is also a cause of bunions. You can use peppermint oil in combination with other oils like coconut or lemon oil and massaging with it regularly. You can use a foot soak of peppermint oil and lavender oil in warm water also helps give relief in pain.
- Mix ten drops of peppermint oil with any carrier oil and massage gently at night.
- Mix ten drops of peppermint and lavender oil with Epsom salt and soak your feet for 15 minutes, three times a week.
[Also Read: How to Get Rid of Bunions]
2. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil has various essential benefits, including reducing acne and wrinkles.
Lavender also has anti-inflammatory properties which help give relief in pain and swelling. This oil also has some aromatic features which have a soothing effect on your mind, which deem beneficial during pain and inflammation. Ten drops of lavender oil in any carrier oil works as an excellent massage oil for bunions. A foot soak made with a combination of lavender oil, peppermint oil, and Epsom salt also works wonders in providing relief in bunions pain.
- A few drops of lavender essential oil for bunions in half a cup of coconut oil works well. The oil should be applied daily before bed.
- The soak should have ten drops of lavender oil. Use this soak for 15 minutes, three times a week.
[Also Read: Lavender Oil Benefits for Health and Beauty]
3. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil is helpful for many conditions like cold, muscle pain, or congestion.
Eucalyptus essential oil is effective for bunion swelling and pain. The anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties also help with redness and irritation in the affected area. The eucalyptus blend is commonly used for bunions. It is made with the combination of eucalyptus oil, chamomile oil, sweet marjoram oil, and coconut oil. The eucalyptus massage blend is also effective and is made with the combination of various essential oils and carrier oil.
- Ten drops of eucalyptus oil with various other essential oils is a perfect blend that can be used to massage daily before bedtime.
- In the roller blend also ten drops of this oil are used along with chamomile oil, sweet marjoram oil, and coconut oil. Use this roller blend three times a day to get relief.
4. Lemon Oil
Lemon essential oil is extracted from the peels of lemon using a cold-pressing process. The ingredients in lemon help fight against harmful viruses and are useful in clearing skin.
Lemon oil, with a combination of various other oils, is effective in curing the pain, and inflammation associated with bunions. It has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that help in keeping the feet neat and infection-free.
A blend of eucalyptus, rosemary, lemon oil, and chamomile oil with any carrier oil is the best oil for massage. A foot soak made with lemon oil and Epsom salt is also helpful with bunions.
- Ten drops of lemon oil with other essential oils works perfectly for treating bunions.
- Twenty drops of lemon oil are recommended for the foot soak with half a cup of Epsom salt.
5. Chamomile Oil
Chamomile oil is perfect for calming your senses in the time of stress and depression. The anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties of this oil help treat many infections.
Chamomile oil has analgesic properties, which help with bunion pain. It has a calming and relaxing effect that helps soothe muscles and joints, especially in the affected area.
You can make a roller blend using chamomile, rosemary, eucalyptus, and lemon oil. The combination gives relief in pain and inflammation. You can also directly apply chamomile oil mixed with a carrier oil to the affected area to get relief.
- In the blender, add eight drops of chamomile oil in ten drops of rosemary and ten drops of eucalyptus oil along with carrier oil.
- For topical use, add few drops of chamomile oil in coconut oil.
Bunions are a painful condition and result in deformity in the joint of the big toe. It is not a dangerous condition but might create hindrance in day to day activities. It might also lead to arthritis in older people.
Essential oils for bunion pain are also helpful as they decrease pain and inflammation and reduce the chances of infection in the toes. Also, essential oils have few side-effects and are readily available in the market.
1. How to Alleviate the Pain of Bunions?
A Bunion is a deformity in the toe joint and might result in other conditions if not treated. The essential oils are an effective treatment in alleviating the pain due to its anti-inflammatory and relaxing properties.
2. What Are the Other Treatment Options for Bunions?
Bunions can be treated using many options like changing shoes, medications, using shoe inserts, and applying ice on the affected area.