Body odor is a smell that comes off one’s body, and others and you, so find it quite unpleasant (1). It is most often caused after puberty. It is most commonly witnessed in individuals who are obese or eat spicy food regularly. Body odor may also be linked to a few medical issues, such as diabetes. The unpleasant odor is caused when the bacteria that live on our body break the sweat into acid.
The gland, known as apocrine, produces sweat which is high in protein. Due to its richness in protein, it is easily breakable into acid by the bacteria and; therefore, causing body odor. People tend to observe several home remedies to fight body odor. Essential oils for body odor are also one of the effective home remedies that people tend to use.
Essential oils have a long history to be used for skincare. They are used extensively and frequently. Essential oils contain anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties that make them quite useful to be used to treat unpleasant body odor(2).
Essential oils also prevent and slow down the growth of bacteria and yeast and thus, reducing the body odor. The antimicrobial properties of essential oils make them quite useful for several home remedies as well as the pharmaceutical industry. Several essential oils can be effectively used to remove unpleasant odors from different parts of the body.
[Also Read: How to Get Rid of Body Odor]
Essential Oils for Body Odor:
1. Lemon Oil
Lemon as fruit has long been used for medicines as it cures several health issues. Lemon has the power to change the PH level of the skin which inhibits the growth of bacteria, thereby, reducing unpleasant body odor. The lemon essential oil is made from the rinds and peel of the fruit; therefore, it is quite useful to fight body odor with its appealing fragrance. This oil has antiseptic, astringent, and detoxifying properties that help get rid of body odor.
- Mix few drops of lemon oil with two tablespoons of baking soda
- Apply the mixture on the areas that emit unpleasant body odor such as armpits
- Leave the mixture for 15 minutes
- Wash thoroughly with water
- Avoid exposure to the Sun for eight hours after using lemon oil
A few drops of lemon can be used once a week to treat body odor.
[Also read: Get Rid of Bumps on Arms ]
2. Spike Lavender Oil
Spike lavender has excellent antimicrobial properties that stop the bacteria from breaking down the sweat into acid, thereby, reducing body odor. This oil is quite relaxing also and has a cooling property that keeps sweat glands good. The high power of germ-killing is due to its high content of camphor and camphene.
- Take two ounces of distilled witch hazel
- Add a few drops of lavender oil
- Now add a few drops of coriander essential oil
- Mix it nicely and transfer the contents in a clean spray bottle
- You can spray this mixture under your arms to get rid of the body odor
Lavender oil can be used daily as it kills bacteria and is an excellent moisturizer too.
3. Patchouli Oil
Patchouli oil is an effective oil that helps get rid of the unpleasant body odor-causing germs. The essential oil is used for its astringent effect along with its antispasmodic properties. As a bonus, it helps to fight against aging skin.
- Add a few drops of patchouli oil to sweet almond oil
- Now with the help of cotton ball, apply to the areas, such as armpits, that produce bad body odor
- Let it sit for an hour and then wash it thoroughly
- Add this oil to the bath
A few drops of patchouli oil are recommended safe daily. However, the oil must not enter the mouth as it may have toxic effects.
4. Clary Sage Oil
Clary sage oil is quite famous for its refreshing scent. This oil contains antimicrobial agents that help the bacteria keep in control. This oil also tends to increase the levels of oxytocin. The anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of this oil make it quite useful to fight against body odor. Moreover, as a bonus, this oil also tightens and tones up the skin. This soothing oil tends to eliminate the feelings of anxiety and irritability while promoting relaxation and calmness.
To make a fantastic deodorant with clary sage essential oil following ingredients are needed:
- ½ cup of distilled witch hazel
- ¼ cup of Aloe Vera gel
- ¼ teaspoon of baking soda
- Ten drops of clary sage essential oil
- Ten drops of sandalwood essential oil
- Take a bowl and mix witch hazel with Aloe Vera gel thoroughly
- Now add baking soda, and essential oils to the mixture and mix well
- Now pour the solution to a spray bottle and shake it well
- The homemade deodorant is ready to be used
A few drops of clary sage diluted with base ingredients can be used daily.
[Also Read: Benefits of Armpit Detox]
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree is one of the most effective and beneficial essential oils. It has great antimicrobial agents that help to kill the bacteria that produce body odor. Tea tree oil is quite famous for its anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. Tea tree oil for body odor removal is a quite effective remedy to try at home. This essential oil tends to regulate the sweat secretion, thereby keeping the surface of the skin dry. In addition to this, tea tree oil is quite a powerful and natural cleansing agent that helps in the removal of dead cells and dirt from the pores that keeps the critters away.
Here is the recipe for tea tree oil which can be used daily to fight unpleasant body odor.
- Witch hazel ½ cup
- Ten drops of tea tree oil
- ½ cup distilled water
- In a bowl mix witch hazel and tea tree oil until it is well combined.
- Now add distilled water to the prepared solution.
- Pour the solution in the spray bottle and shake it thoroughly.
- The homemade deodorant is ready to use.
Tea tree oil, when diluted with other base ingredients, can be used daily.
6. Sandalwood Oil
According to Ayurveda, sandalwood essential oil has long been known for its antiperspirant properties. This essential oil is known to be a natural deodorant. This is the only oil that does not only help in getting rid of body odor but also eradicates the germs that cause body odor. Furthermore, this essential oil tends to have a high astringent effect which tones down the unnecessary perspiration.
- Mix sandalwood oil with jojoba oil in a bowl
- Add one teaspoon of honey
- Pour the mixture in a spray bottle
- Shake it well and use it as spray
The sandalwood antiperspirant is ready to be used
A few drops of sandalwood oil can be used daily to fight body odor.
Essential oils are quite an effective remedy for several kinds of skincare issues. However, these oils may also cause skin burn and infection. Excessive usage of such oils might also result in several adverse effects, such as blood pressure. It is always recommended to use any home remedy after the doctor’s advice.
1. What causes a bad body odor?
Unpleasant body odor is caused by the bacteria that live on our skin. The bacteria tend to break down our sweat into acid, which creates an unpleasant smell. The Apocrine gland is majorly responsible for body odor.
2. How can body odor be treated through other remedies?
Body odor can be treated in several ways. Bathing daily with warm water kills bacteria that produce body odor. Moreover, using deodorant or essential oils to remove body odor also helps a great deal.