So far Epsom salt has been used in treating several health issues. From reducing arthritis, like gout pain to promoting sleep, Epsom salt is one of the best home remedies you can get. Mixing it in your bathing water can remove all the fatigue and tiredness throughout the day. So, it is true that this salt comes with lots of health benefits.
But is Epsom salt effective for treating boils? Actually, boils are a bacterial infection that causes redness, swelling, and finally puss under the skin. Usually, it happens on the face or hairline and it is really very painful. Besides using over-the-counter antibiotic ointments, if you use certain home remedies, you can get faster relief from the irritation and inflammation of boils.
And here comes Epsom salt for boils. This natural remedy is full of anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties; therefore, it is quite natural that Epsom salt can remove the boils and prevent to come back.
Did You Know?
- Though boils appear on face mainly, those can also appear at any other parts of the body, like buttocks, groin, armpit, etc.
- Medicines and home remedies can provide a temporary cure from the boils, but those are not effective in reducing the further chance of having boils.
What Are the Symptoms of Boils?
Usually, boils happen if your skin gets dirty and then it is affected by staphylococcal(1) bacteria. This bacteria enters into your body through any small cuts or bruises and reaches the hair follicles. In the beginning, boils are hard and red. Within a few days, you can notice a softer lump and it becomes bigger and immensely pain. You will also see a pocket of pus at the top of the boil. The symptoms are-
- The area becomes swollen, red and highly painful.
- You may notice other boils coming out around the infected area.
- Lymph nodes may also get swollen.
- You may have a fever.
[Also Read: 7 Essential Oils That Keep Boils at Bay]
Use Epsom Salt to Cure Boils?
Epsom salt is antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antiviral and antimicrobial. That’s why using it for curing boils is really effective. If you are looking for home remedies to cure boils, Epsom salt is a perfect choice.
Recipes of Epsom Salt to Treat Boils
Accumulation of toxins is a big reason for having boils. Epsom salt can remove that harmful toxin from your body and thus treats boils. Here are the best ways to use Epsom salt(2) for removing boils-
1. Epsom Salt Soak
- Take a tub of warm water and add one cup of Epsom salt in it.
- Mix it well and soak your body in it if you have boils at any other place of your body than face.
- If it is on the face, compress cotton on boil after soaking it in the solution.
- Do it for 10-15 minutes.
- Once done, let the water dry off naturally. Don’t use any towel or anything to remove the water from your skin as that can spread the infection.
- You can also apply Epsom salt directly on the affected area.
- Repeat these steps regularly until the boils are reduced and gone.
[Also Read: Home Remedies for Breast Boils]
2. Epsom Salt Compress
- Add 2 tsp Epsom salt in 2 cups of warm water.
- Mix well and prepare the solution.
- Dip a cotton pad in it and squeeze the excess water.
- Now, compress it on the boils and press it there.
- Remove after 10 to 15 minutes.
- Do this for three to four times daily.
3. Epsom Salt and Vaseline
If you want to prepare an ointment for boils at home, follow these steps-
- Mix Epsom salt and Vaseline to make a smooth paste.
- Apply it gently on the boil and the surrounding area.
- Cover it with medical tape.
- Leave it overnight and wash off on the next morning with lukewarm water.
- You need to repeat this method once daily.
4. Epsom Salt with Apple Cider Vinegar
If boils get deeper and those turn into furuncles, this home remedy is a great solution.
- Dip a cotton ball into apple cider vinegar completely.
- Now sprinkle Epsom salt on it and place it on the boil.
- Use medical tape to keep the cotton at the place.
- Leave it overnight and wash well in the morning.
- Repeat this step for the next few nights.
[Also Read: Apple Cider Vinegar for Boils]
5. Epsom Salt Scrub
- Take Epsom salt and add little water to it.
- Make sure that the salt doesn’t dissolve into the water.
- Now scrub the mixture on the boil for 5-8 minutes
- Do this once or twice a day.
6. Epsom Salt with Baking Soda
- Make a mixture of Epsom salt and baking soda.
- Now, apply it on the boils and cover it with a bandage.
- Leave it overnight.
So, these recipes of Epsom salt can really be effective to cure boils and prevent further infection. Besides these, you can also go for Epsom salt bath for boils. Besides making you relaxed, this bath can also cure those irritating and painful boils.
[Also Read: Natural Ways to Cure Boil]
Precautions of Using Epsom Salt
While Epsom salt is really beneficial for your health, in a certain condition, it can be really problematic. Therefore, know the precautions that experts advise about using Epsom salt-
- People with high blood pressure or varicose brain should never use Epsom salt.
- If you feel any irritation of direct application of Epsom salt, always dilute it in water.
- Always go for a patch test on your elbow before using Epsom salt in other parts of your body.
Besides using Epsom salt for boils, you should also take good care of your skin. Keep it clean and never forget to exfoliate your skin at regular interval. Also, you can go for deep cleansing with aloe vera, cucumber, etc. to get the natural benefits of such products.
1. How to Make a Poultice with Epsom Salt?
Make a paste of Epsom salt and water and apply it on the affected area. Wash well after 15 minutes with cool water and pat dry.
2. Does Epsom Salt Help Boil?
Yes. As it is antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, it reduces the size of the boil and also the pain.