The American Sexual Health Association concludes that one out of the two sexually active persons in the US contract STI, by the age of 25 years.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has estimated that almost 20 million new STIs occur annually. The prevalence of Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 & Type 2 was most seen in people between 14-49 years. Another startling finding was that the Herpes Simplex Virus-1 & 2(1) were found more in females than males in the US(1).
With the development of science and pharma, many medicines have evolved to treat herpes. However, some were not as effective, and others were expensive. But, coconut oil for herpes has shown significant results. And for centuries, people have been using coconut oil for herpes treatment.
Coconut Oil Benefits for Herpes
As per the report by Health Impact News, treating more than 80 million Americans suffering from herpes, 1 in 4 adults had genital herpes. Using conventional medicines like acyclovir or famciclovir has its share of challenges. Therefore, a more suitable and readily available cure had the potential to change the scenario. Coconut oil has shown significant results in this respect. It has active antioxidants to destroy the Herpes virus. The presence of fatty acids like Capric and Lauric ensure better cure in a shorter period.
[Also Read: Coconut Oil: Everything You Need to Know ]
How to Use Coconut Oil for Herpes
You can either consume coconut oil(2) directly or apply it topically to the affected area. And here’s how you can use coconut oil to treat herpes.
- Consume 4 to 5 tablespoons of coconut oil every day to enjoy its health benefits. You can also get coconut capsules. They are readily available in the market. However, consuming coconut oil is more beneficial than taking supplements. Include coconut oil as a cooking ingredient in your diet.
- Replace regular, salted butter and other cooking oils with coconut oil. Coconut oil usually has an extremely mild flavor. So it doesn’t spoil the taste of your dish at all.
- Take dime or two coconut oil and dab onto your herpes thrice a day at least. You can also apply before bedtime and leave it overnight.
- Use moisturizing body lotions that contain coconut oil as their main ingredient. You can use body lotion twice daily. Try to purchase a trusted or organic brand. The fewer chemicals in the lotion, the better it is.
- You can use these creams or lotions until you see a significant improvement in your herpes condition. Also, you can continue applying body lotions and consuming coconut oil even after herpes is cured. This acts as a preventive measure.
[Also Read: Home Remedies for Herpes]
Risks and Side Effects of Coconut Oil for Herpes Treatment
It is relatively safe to use coconut oil for the treatment of herpes. But for those who are having sensitive skin might face some form of irritation. In case you have never used coconut oil before, please do a patch test on the hand or arm. If mild irritations happen, it is natural. But do not proceed in case of excessive irritation. Also, immediately consult your dermatologist.
Coconut oil could also cause an upset stomach. If you are consuming the coconut oil in large amounts, due to the excessive fat content, it might lead to diarrhea. So it is recommended to talk to your doctor first before using coconut oil.
Coconut oil is undoubtedly a promising natural product with a prolonged list of health benefits that are supported by researches and studies. However, when you experience any symptom of herpes, first reach out to a dermatologist and discuss in detail about the same.
[Also Read: 5 Essential Oils for Treating Herpes.]
1. What Is the Resistance of Drugs in Case of Herpes?
Generally, the resistance to acyclovir, famciclovir, and valacyclovir happens even after decades. So, the drug that was effective 20 years ago for the patient might not be the same after 20 years.
2. What If the Coconut Oil Is Not as Good as Expected in My Case?
Well, every human body is different. If you feel that the coconut oil has not served the purpose in your case, then consult a doctor immediately.
3. Apart from Coconut Oil, What Are the Other Ways to Treat Herpes?
You can use essential oils like oregano oil, tea tree oil, etc. However, these could help you only to some extent. For treatments that work in the long-run, you might have to discuss it with your doctor.
[Also Read: Benefits of Using Oregano Oil for Herpes Treatment]
4. Can We Use Coconut Oil for Genital Herpes?
Yes, you can use coconut oil for genital herpes. According to a study in 2010(2), raw coconut oil can numb the pain and discomfort from genital herpes if applied topically.