Acne, also known as acne vulgaris is a skin problem. It occurs when dirt, oil, and dead skin cells clog the skin pores. It is commonly called pimples, zits, whiteheads, blackheads or blemishes in everyday language. Acne mostly occurs in the areas of skin which are rich in oil glands. The common areas where acne may occur are the face, back and upper part of the chest.
Acne is a widespread problem that is most prevalent in teenagers. Even though acne is not a serious disease, it can be excruciating especially when it is severe. Moreover, if you don’t cure acne properly and in time, it may leave permanent scars on the skin. Skin care experts often recommend using coconut oil for acne as it not only heals acne but also prevents scarring.
At times acne can be severe. It gives rise to anxiety and a reduction in self-confidence. In some extreme cases, acne can also lead to a feeling of depression and social alienation. Therefore, acne must be cured in time.
Types of Acne
The various kinds of acne are:
- Whiteheads: This kind of acne remains under the skin. The boils are small and usually not visible.
- Blackheads: This kind of acne is visible because they appear on the surface of the skin They are black In colour
- Papules: These are small. Papules are usually pink bumps
- Pustules: The pustules are red and are visible on the surface of the skin.
- Nodules: This kind of acne is visible on the surface of the skin. The nodules are large, solid, painful pimples.
- Cysts:Cysts look like small extra growths on the skin resembling large blisters, They are sometimes very painful.
Causes of acne:
- Pore clogging: Oil glands are connected to the skin through follicles. Follicles are small sacs that connect the oil glands to the skin. Follicles produce and secrete liquids. The oil glands also secrete an oily fluid named sebum. This liquid takes dead skin cells to the pores and clogs it.
- Hormonal imbalance: It is considered to be the most common reason for acne. Hormonal changes and imbalance are a characteristic of the teenage body, and hence acne is a common occurrence. The levels of a hormone called androgen are found to be responsible for acne(1).
Coconut oil for acne
For centuries, people use coconut oil as an effective remedy to deal with acne. Even today coconut oil is one of the most trusted natural oils for skincare therapies.
Using Coconut oil(2) is extremely effective because not only does it cure the acne but also improves overall skin health. It has moisturizing properties that work wonders on dry skin. It has good fats that penetrate deep into the layers of skin and keep the skin soft and supple. You can also consume it for more increased benefits. Besides taking care of the skin, coconut oil also has other benefits for the body-
- Skin care
- Increasing levels of HDL Cholesterol
- Bone health
- Boosting energy
- Preventing yeast infections
- Dental care
- Improving digestive and immune system
- Stress relief
- Improving heart health
- Wound healing
- Seizure control
- Kidney and liver health
Why use coconut oil for acne?
Coconut oil is the safest treatment for acne. It is a natural oil and contains no added chemicals. There are almost no side-effects of using coconut oil for skin care. It is often used in skincare and beauty products like anti-ageing creams, skin softeners etc. Coconut oil is an excellent combination of capric acid, lauric acid, caprylic acid and vitamins like vitamin E and vitamin K. This combination of acids and vitamins works effectively on the skin and mostly work for eliminating skin disorders and scars.
Coconut oil has antibacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial properties which makes it better than other medications for acne. It prevents breakouts and soothes inflammation. It provides relief from red and dry skin which appear in the advanced stages of acne.
[ Read more: How to Get Rid of Bacne]
How to use coconut oil for acne?
Using coconut oil has a very simple process. Read below
- The coconut oil usually comes in a hard, balm state, so you need to liquefy the oil before using it.
- Massage the coconut oil on the acne affected areas gently and generously. Make sure you completely cover the acne-affected area with the oil.
- Use a mild facial cleanser to wash the coconut oil. Wash the acne-affected areas gently and adequately without leaving any trace of coconut oil.
- You can also apply it on the affected skin and leave it overnight.
Dos and Don’ts
- Store the coconut oil in the advised storage conditions.
- Choose the proper oil for your skin. It is recommended to consult a health care expert before choosing the oil for your skin. The skin care professional can suggest the best kind of oil for your skin type.
- The oil must be liquefied in hot water tub and not directly on a stove.
- Dilute the oil before using.
- If the health care expert asks you to consume coconut oil, take care of the dosage. Do not consume the oil in concentrated form.
- Keep the coconut oil away from the reach of children.
- Perform a patch test before applying the coconut oil for acne in the affected areas. Your skin may be allergic to coconut oil, performing a patch test would help you know the result. If you get an allergen attack on the affected areas, acne can become a nightmare.
- Use the oil gently. Do not rub it on the acne affected areas harshly. It can irritate the acne and make the condition worse.
- Use coconut oil regularly for best results. Irregular use of coconut oil may not yield desired results.
Home Remedies for Acne:
It acts as a gentle exfoliator for the skin and removes dead skin cells and clears the skin pores. It possesses mild antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help cure acne and its symptoms.
[ Read more: Baking soda for Acne ]
It clears the skin pores and absorbs the excess oil present in the skin thus preventing the chances of acne in the future. It also exfoliates the skin.
3.Fuller’s earth or Multani Mitti:
It is the most popular remedy for acne. It absorbs excess oils from the skin and unclogs the skin pores.
The acidic properties of Lemon(3) help cure acne. It cleans the pores of the skin and removes excess oils from them.
Acne is a common problem. As it affects your appearance, acne can cause both physical and mental discomfort. Pharmaceuticals address the issue but often have a host of side-effects. If you are looking for a natural remedy, then try coconut oil for acne treatment.