Citrus fruits are the trees and shrubs that belongs to the Rutaceae plant family. Orange, grapefruits, lime are all citrus fruits. These fruits have a high citric acid value and present similar features like juicy and pulp flesh that surrounds the seeds.
The outer skin is usually leathery and is known as zest that serves its purpose in the preparation of desserts. The citrus fruits should be peeled first and then eaten. You can make a juice t or eat it raw because every version of these fruits offers several medicinal and health benefits that will make you love them.
Mentioned below are the types of citrus fruits and their nutrition value.
|Fiber content (g)||3.1||2.5||1.7|
|Ascorbic acid (mg)||70||79||26|
Those who are strictly working on a weight loss regime will be happy to know that eating citrus fruits won’t hamper their regime, as these fruits are low in calories.
The carbohydrates that are found in these fruits are mainly sucrose, fructose, and glucose.
They are also very rich in Vitamin C, and this is what makes it so famous.
[Read: Goodness of Citrus Fruits]
Citrus Fruits Health Benefits
- It helps the skin to look younger. Vitamin C(1) is present in high amounts in these fruits and helps the skin to remain young. Collagen is regenerated by Ascorbic acid that keeps the elasticity of skin intact.
- The skin of citrus fruits can be helpful to exfoliate your skin. It can clear the clogged pores and add the goodness of Vitamin C and leave a glowing clear looking skin.
- The skin gets dark spots after being exposed to the sun’s harmful UV rays. The antioxidants in these fruits act as a protective agent and prevent the pigmentation and damage caused by UV rays.
- Daily consumption of these fruits helps in preventing hair loss too. The vitamin C produces collagen that provides strength to the hair and prevents breakage and split ends.
- Fruits like lemon, which are acidic, help in cleansing the scalp and removes dandruff.
- Citrus fruits help to lose weight as well. When combined with a low-calorie diet, it aids weight loss. It is high in fiber content and is made up mostly of water that reduces your binge eating and helps you stay full.
- Fruits like Orange and Grapes contain flavanones that help to reduce the risk of stroke in women. The best to consume flavanones is to increase your intake of such fruits.
- Citrus fruits are rich in components like folate, carotenoids, flavonoids, and Vitamin C that reduces the risk of esophageal cancer. Nobiletin, a flavonoid found in these fruits are antiangiogenic. It prevents the formation of blood vessels that aid in spreading cancer to other parts of the body.
- It also restores the health of blood vessels in eyes that improves vision and reduces the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration caused due to age.
- Stress levels in our body always go up due to an increase in cortisol (stress hormone) and a rise in blood pressure during an anxiety situation. Vitamin C and other nutrients found in these fruits help to reduce stress.
[Read: Kumquat Fruit Benefits]
Best Ways To Use Citrus Fruit for Health and Nutrition
1. Citrus Fruit Salad For Boosting Immunity
You need- Pomegranate, orange, and grapefruits
Method- Cut the pomegranate and squeeze it to take out the juice, keep the seeds aside. Collect and keep aside. Remove the skin and pith from Orange and Grape Fruits. Cut carefully in the center and lightly squeeze to extract the juices and pour them into the bowl. Mix them well, cover, and refrigerate.
Finally, serve using a salad bowl and add some fruits as the topping.
2. Oranges Peel For Skin Brightening
You need- 2 tbsp of orange peel powder, 2 tbsp yogurt
Method – Mix the orange powder and yogurt together to form a paste. Apply this face pack and let it rest for 20 minutes. Wash it and see how the pack instantly brightens, tones and makes your skin look so fresh.
[Read: Grape Juice Benefits]
3. Orange Peel Powder And Sandalwood Paste For Skin Exfoliation
You need- 2 tbsp orange powder, 1 tbsp sandalwood powder, 1 tbsp walnut powder.
Method- Mix the orange, walnut, and sandalwood powder. Add two drops of lemon juice and 2 tbsp of rose water to form a paste. Apply on the face and rest it for 20 minutes. Rinse with cold water and watch the glow on your face after exfoliation(2).
[Read: Benefits of Finger Lime]
The benefits of citrus fruits are plenty but only when consumed in moderation. Overeating of fruits can cause digestive problems like cramps and diarrhea. They are very susceptible to fungi growth and, therefore, must be thoroughly washed before eating. If you suffer from GERD, you might want to avoid citrus fruits as they are known to trigger or worsen the condition.
To improve the overall functioning of your body, we must eat fruits. Citrus fruits stand out because of its rich value of Vitamin C. It is a primary and essential vitamin that helps in the proper functioning of organs in our body. They are good for health, skin, and hair and pretty much a reason to indulge in every day with a delightful flavor of these fruits.
[Read: Benefits of Orange Peel]
1. Is Peach a Citrus Fruit?
Citrus fruits are full of water. Peach, oranges, watermelons are all citrus fruits, and it is wholly made up of water.