Cinnamon is one of the most commonly used spices across the world. Americans use cinnamon and cinnamon powder to impart a sharp, sweet and savory flavor to the food. But, what very few might know is that Cinnamon does have a few astonishing medical benefits. In Ayurveda, the ancient Indian medical science, cinnamon has been prescribed for treating a number of ailments.
Today, Cinnamon is often used to treat one of the most common issues in the 21st century – obesity. Does cinnamon help you lose weight?. So, what makes using cinnamon for weight loss such an effective option? How much cinnamon for weight loss? How should you use it to get the desired results? Here, we are trying to find answers to all such questions.
Interesting Facts About Cinnamon
- Cinnamon is obtained from the bark of trees belonging to the family, Cinnamomum.
- Although people use Cinnamon for weight loss, it is high in calories. 100 grams of Cinnamon is about 247 calories
- The ancient Greeks used Cinnamon as a gift for their god, Apollo.
- The Dutch East India Company and the British East India company fiercely fought over the control of Cinnamon trade.
- Today, Indonesia produces the most Cinnamon in the world.
How Does It Help to Use Cinnamon for Weight Loss?
Let us now take a look at some of the Cinnamon benefits for weight loss. Cinnamon does help in a number of ways to reduce body weight. Here are some of them:
- According to a study(1) published in 2015, scientists from the United States and China have shown that cinnamon can help reduce the total cholesterol and the LDL (Low-Density Lipoprotein) in the body.
- Not only Cinnamon helps in reducing fat but it also helps in mobilizing the fact. Research(2) has shown that it helps in lowering the hepatic and serum lipids.
- One of the biggest advantages of using cinnamon for weight loss is the fact that it helps in enhancing insulin sensitivity(3). This makes it easy for the body to produce the right amount of insulin as needed. When the body fails to produce insulin, it can cause several issues including increase fat accumulation in the body which leads to increase in weight.
- Scientists from the University of California, Davis had shown(4) that consumption of whole cinnamon or cinnamon extract can help reduce the level of glucose levels in the body. This helps in preventing diabetes and fat accumulation.
These are some of the cinnamon benefits for weight loss. As you can see, using cinnamon for weight loss is indeed a smart option as it is quite effective in reducing fat levels in the body. So, let us now take a look at some of the ways in which you can use cinnamon for losing weight.
[Also Read: How to Lose Weight Naturally]
How to Use Cinnamon for Weight Loss?
It is really quite easy to use cinnamon for weight loss. Cinnamon is widely available in the market, both as a whole as well as in powder form. Using it for weight loss is not rocket science either! Here are some of the most effective and simplest ways to use cinnamon for weight loss.
[Also Read: Spices That Can Help You Lose Weight]
1. Making Cinnamon and Honey Tea
Cinnamon and Honey Tea is probably the most widely recommended ways to lose weight. To prepare this delicious and healthy concoction, you would need the following:
- Half a teaspoon of Cinnamon powder
- One teaspoon of honey
- One tablespoon of freshly squeezed lime juice
- One cup of water
- Boil one cup of water and add the cinnamon powder to it.
- Keep boiling until half of the water evaporates
- Take it off the heat
- Strain it into a cup
- Add honey and lime juice to it
Although you can drink this any time of the day, it is recommended that you try to drink it early in the morning, in an empty stomach. This would help you get the full benefits of this healthy and delicious drink.
[Also Read: Cumin for Weight Loss]
2. Using Cinnamon and Apple Cider Vinegar
Another effective way of using cinnamon for weight loss is by mixing it with apple cider vinegar. Here is what you should do.
- Half a teaspoon of Cinnamon Powder
- One teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
- A cup of water
- Bring the water to boil and add the cinnamon powder to it
- Turn off the heat immediately
- Allow the mixture to cool down to room temperature
- Add the apple cider vinegar and stir well
- Gulp it down!
[Also Read: Benefits of Baking Soda for Weight Loss]
Now, that we have known about some of the ways in which you can use cinnamon for weight loss. Let us take a look at some of the frequently asked questions about it.
If you are using for a simple, inexpensive and natural way to control your weight, then cinnamon is the right option for you. Using cinnamon for weight loss does have a lot of benefits. However, to get cinnamon benefits for weight loss, ensure that you use quality products and that too in the right way. Be aware, keep yourself informed and we are sure that this sweet and savory spice would help you get back in shape.
1. Is Using Cinnamon for Weight Loss Bad for the Liver?
No, it isn’t. A specific variety of cinnamon, Cassia Cinnamon, contains coumarin. This compound is known to cause liver damage. So, if you already suffer from liver ailments, then you should ensure that you are using Ceylon cinnamon as it has the lowest levels of coumarin.
2. Can Cinnamon Cause Allergy?
Cinnamon allergies are one of the most common allergies in the US and across the world. So, you might want to consult your doctor if you think that you might be allergic to cinnamon
3. Is Whole Cinnamon the Better Option
Well, whole cinnamon does contain all of nature’s goodness. So, it is always better to get whole cinnamon sticks, grind it into powder and then use it. However, if you don’t want to go through such hassles, you can use cinnamon powder available in the market.