Losing weight is something that is not everyone’s cup of tea but is evidently desired by all. Even though some people are slim, but they dream to fit in the hourglass that has always been the unfortunate definition of beauty. Hence they tend to follow many different diets and plans that land them with numerous ailments. But what if we say that there’s a specific superfood that can aid your weight-loss process in a nutritious way? Yes, it is practically possible with the intake of wondrous chia seeds.
Chia seeds for weight loss have gained increasing popularity these days, and many health buffs are welcoming these seeds into their fitness and weight loss diets. Chia seeds are an affordable and accessible addition to your food. They have a mild flavor, which means that they can go with any dish you prepare. Since they are highly nutritious, they are definitely worthwhile. Experiment in the kitchen by using chia seeds for weight loss in various healthy snacks, salads, breakfast foods, and smoothies.
What are chia seeds?
Chia seeds are a member of the mint family. They come from the seeds of the desert plant, Salvia hispanica whose origin is Central America. It is a belief that they were the staple food of the people in ancient Aztec. The “golden chia” that comes from a similar plant, Salvia columbariae which was used in the southwestern United States by Native Americans. When mixed with liquid, they expand and form a thick gel. Chia seeds are tiny little seeds that have a lot of health benefits and have been in use in different cultures of the world.
Why should you choose chia seeds for weight loss?
Chia seeds are a powerhouse of nutrients, but three significant attributes make it a perfect choice to lose weight(1)
1. Good source of protein
Chia seeds are tremendous reserves of protein that helps to curb appetite. These seeds aid in building muscle mass that in turn helps the body to shed those extra pounds quickly. Chia seeds are also gluten-free. Hence, people who are sensitive to whole grains can include them in their diet for the daily intake of protein when following a diet. You would be amazed to know that two tablespoons of chia seeds can have up to 4.7 grams of protein.
[Also Read: How to Lose Weight]
2. Enriched with fiber
Chia seeds have tremendous reserves of fiber that works for hand in hand to increase the body metabolism that results in weight loss. The fiber present in this superfood helps you to feel full for a longer duration and prevents overeating. Chia seeds also help to reduce visceral fats and promoted natural bowel movements while curing indigestion. If you include two tablespoons of chia seeds to your daily diet, you tend to add up to 10 grams of fiber which is approximately 40% of daily fiber intake.
3. Loaded with omega-3 fatty acids
Chia seeds are a rich source of alpha-linolenic acid that is known to reduce inflammation and also inflammation induced weight loss. This fatty acid is also considered to be good for the heart.
Five delicious ways to use chia seeds for weight loss
Salads are super healthy since they are rich in fiber and other essential nutrients essential for weight loss. Chia seeds can make your salads healthy along with aiding in weight loss. Here’s a delicious salad recipe made with chia seeds.
Chicken and avocado salad with honey mustard dressing and chia seeds
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
[Read: Home Remedies for Weight Loss]
You will need:
- Boneless and skinless chicken breasts – 2
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Chopped spinach – 2 cups
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Avocado – 1 large
- Cherry tomatoes – 1 cup
- Mixed baby salad leaves – 2 cups
- Toasted pine nuts – ¼ cup
- Crumbled feta cheese – ½ cup
- Whole chia seeds – 2 tablespoons
- Extra virgin olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Honey – 1 teaspoon
- English mustard – 1 teaspoon
- Slice the chicken breasts into thin, long strips. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Take a frying pan and heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add chicken strips to the pan, stir them occasionally until brown and well cooked. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes and set them aside.
- Take a large bowl and mix the baby salad leaves and spinach.
- Wash the cherry tomatoes and cut them in half.
- Peel the avocado, discard the seed, and cut it into slices.
- Add chia seeds, tomatoes, pine nuts, avocado, and cheese to the bowl with the salad leaves.
- To make the honey mustard dressing, take a mason jar. Mix the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, English mustard, honey, and salt and pepper in the jar. Put the lid on it and shake until everything is well mixed.
- Pour the honey mustard dressing over the salad and mix well.
- Add the chicken strips on top of the salad and serve immediately.
Puddings are healthy and delicious, and chia pudding is one of the tastiest ways to incorporate a healthy diet. They are loaded with nutrients and also easy to make. Here’s a recipe that you can whip up in no time and carry it along with you for an energy boost anytime.
Prep time: 10 minutes
[Read: Supplements for Weight Loss]
You will need:
- Coconut milk (from a carton) – 1 cup
- Pure maple syrup – 2 tablespoons
- Unsweetened almond milk – 1 cup
- Ground cinnamon – ¼ teaspoon
- Pinch of salt
- Whole chia seeds – 4 tablespoons
- Take a large bowl and add the coconut milk and almond milk
- Add maple syrup and whisk the mixture until thoroughly mixed
- Next, add the chia seeds, salt, and cinnamon.
- Whisk the mixture until thoroughly combined
- Split the mix into two serving bowls and cover with a plastic wrap
- Let the bowls cool in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Whisk them occasionally.
- For the most delicious outcome, let the pudding sit overnight.
- Add fruits and berries as per your taste to make the pudding even more delicious and nutritious.
Smoothies that are made with fruits and other nutritious ingredients, when mixed with chia seeds for weight loss can be delicious as well as healthy. Chia seeds when blended with other ingredients, will absorb the liquid from them and thus will help to make you feel fuller for a longer time. Drink a chia smoothie every morning to feel energized and also lose weight. Here’s a simple recipe for a smoothie that you can whip up in no time.
You will need:
- Fresh apple chunks – 2 cups (from 2 apples)
- Frozen banana chunks – 2 cups (from 2 very ripe bananas)
- Low-fat plain yogurt – 1 cup
- Low-fat milk – 1 cup
- Chia seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Add the frozen banana chunks, apple chunks, milk, yogurt, and chia seeds to a blender.
- Blend the mixture until smooth and well mixed.
- Pour into two glasses and serve immediately.
- Or, refrigerate until ready to serve.
- You can keep the smoothies in the refrigerator for not more than a day.
[Read: Essential Oils for Weight Loss]
4. Detox water
Detox waters are excellent ways to lose weight. Adding chia seeds to detox water will give you enough nutrients and energy for the entire day. Drink this detox water every morning to feel fresh and to lose those extra inches. Here’s a simple detox chia water recipe that you can prepare in no time.
Detox chia water
You will need:
- Water – 1 cup
- Fresh lime/lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
- Honey – 2 teaspoons
- Chia seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Take a mason jar and mix the water, lemon juice, honey, and chia seeds.
- Stir the concoction well.
- Refrigerate and let the seeds soak overnight, this will allow them to absorb the moisture well.
- Drink it the next morning for a healthy dose of fiber and nutrients.
Oatmeal is a delicious and healthy breakfast food that is full of nutrients. Adding chia seeds to oatmeal will only give it an added burst of fiber. Try this delicious recipe using a topping of chia seeds for weight loss.
- Milk – 1/3 cup
- Greek yogurt – ¼ cup
- Rolled oats – ¼ cup
- Honey – 2 teaspoons
- Cinnamon – ¼ teaspoon
- Fresh blueberries – ¼ cup
- Chia seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Combine all the ingredients in a jar except for the blueberries
- Close the lid and shake until they are uniformly mixed
- Open and add the blueberries to the mixture
- Refrigerate overnight at a cold temperature for about eight hours
- Your oatmeal with Chia seeds in ready to eat
Keep in mind
- Chia seeds contain a lot of fiber, and while this can be good, you should consume it moderately.
- Intake of too many Chia seeds can cause dietary problems like abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation, gas, and bloating.
- Consumption of seeds without enough hydration may lead to several other problems or can magnify the existing conditions.
- People with inflammatory bowel diseases need to take special care during the use of Chia seeds as it can make their condition worse.
- Also, for those who prefer to eat the seeds raw, they can be a choking hazard due to their swelling capacity when they come in contact with moisture.
- Chia seeds intake can also interfere with other medications such as medicines for controlling blood pressure. Hence it is suggested to consult your doctor before consumption.
- People also tend to be allergic to these seeds so take care before intake.
If you’re looking for home remedies to lose weight, chia seeds for weight loss can be a great option. Chia seeds are not only highly nutritious but also have a very high fiber content which helps you lose weight in a controlled and natural manner and reduces health risks to make you fitter. Chia seeds alone may not help you lose weight, but incorporating them in a healthy diet certainly will. These simple and easy solutions will help you a great deal in your weight loss journey. Maintain a healthy lifestyle, stay hydrated, exercise regularly, and maintain a positive outlook on life. These tips will give you your desired waistline in no time.