Almond milk is prepared in milk plant, and it is manufactured from almonds with a nutty flavor and creamy texture. However, some brands or milk plants emulate dairy milk flavors. Almond milk does not include cholesterol, lactose, or saturated fat. People who are lactose-intolerant and avoid dairy products can easily consume almond milk.
Commercial almond milk is available in different flavors such as sweetened, unsweetened, vanilla, and chocolate. It is often fortified with micronutrients. You can also make it at home by using a blender, almonds, and water.
Health Benefits of Almond Milk
5 Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
For preparing the almond milk, blend almonds with water and then strain the blending mixture to remove the residues. You can also make it by mixing water into almond butter. Almond milk flavor and texture is similar to regular milk. This is the reason that vegans, as well as those who are allergic to dairy products, can go for almond milk(1).
There are various health benefits of almond milk in the diet, and few of them are the following:
- Almond milk is nutritious because it consists of different vitamins, especially vitamin E and minerals.
- Almond milk is low in calories. However, almonds incorporate 50% fat and high in calories but commercial almond milk considered as a low-calorie beverage.
- Unsweetened almond milk does not increase the blood sugar level.
- Almond milk is dairy-free because it does not contain cow’s milk or any other animal product.
- Enriched almond milk can help in strengthening the bones.
[Also Read: Reasons to Eat Almonds ]
Other Uses Of Almond Milk
- Almond milk is the perfect choice for those who cannot drink cow’s milk, and people who like its taste. There are various health benefits of drinking almond milk, and few of them are the following:
- Unsweetened almond milk is low in sugar. It is beneficial for people with diabetes or those who are trying to restrict sugar intake.
- Almonds are enriched with vitamin E.
- Almond milk is mostly used as a dairy milk replacement, so manufacturers enrich almond milk with calcium to make sure people are not missing out calcium.
- Almond milk is enriched with vitamin D. It is fortified with vitamin D and can provide about a quarter of the daily intake recommendation in a 1-cup serving.
- Almond milk is purely plant-based milk, which makes it a perfect drink for vegans and others who avoid any type of dairy products.
[Also Read: Lose Weight With Almonds]
Comparative Table of Nutrition Facts – Milk vs Almond
Different types of milk have their own advantages and disadvantages, which basically depends on an individual’s health, diet, nutritional requirements, or personal taste preferences. The following is the comparison table of Cow’s Milk and Almond Milk:
|Components||Cow’s Milk||Almond Milk (Unsweetened)|
|Carbohydrates (Total)||12 g||1 g|
|Sugars||12 g||0 g|
|Fat (Total)||8 g||3 g|
|Protein||8 g||2 g|
Natural cow’s milk contains high fat, calcium, proteins because none of the fat is removed from the milk. One cup of Cow’s Milk contains:
- 150 calories
- 12 grams of carbohydrates (a form of lactose)
- 8 grams of fat
- 8 grams of protein
Almond milk is made by blending almonds and filtered water. It also contains starches and thickeners for improving its shelf life and consistency(2). People who are allergic to dairy products can go for almond milk. Unsweetened almond milk nutrition consists of the following:
- Around 30 to 60 calories
- 1 g of carbohydrates (sweetened milk has more)
- 3 g of fat
- 1 g of protein
Milk Vs Coconut Milk
In the table given below, you can see a comparison between coconut milk and cow’s milk:
|Components||Cow’s Milk||Coconut Milk (Unsweetened)|
|Fat||8 g||4 g|
|Protein||8 g||0 g|
|Sugar||12 g||0 g|
|Calcium||276 mg||450 mg (added)|
|Vitamin D added||Yes||Yes|
So, in case, you are allergic to dairy products or lactose intolerant, coconut milk offers various advantages.
Those who are looking for dairy-free milk can go for almond milk. It is the perfect substitute for those who have some dairy product allergy or who do not like the taste. It is a good source of various vitamins such as vitamin A, D and E. However, almond milk is becoming more popular day by day, it is essential to keep in mind that it does not provide much protein or calcium as compared to cow’s milk.
1. What is almond milk?
Almond milk is the perfect substitute for animal milk, and it is prepared by blending ground almonds and water. It has no cholesterol or lactose present in it. You can easily make it at home. It is also available in a variety of flavors such as sweetened, unsweetened, chocolate, vanilla, etc.
2. What are the health benefits of almond milk?
There are various benefits of almond milk, including strengthens bones, reduces blood pressure, improve vision, strengthens muscles, maintains a healthy heart, improves kidney health, boosts immunity, etc.
3. Is almond milk good for health?
Almond milk is rich in numerous nutrients which are very good for our health. It incorporates protein, energy, and minerals such as calcium, sodium, and potassium. Almond milk is a good source of vitamin D and E. It is also rich in vitamin A and helps in improving vision.