Avocado is the most unique of all fruits. Every fruit is beneficial in a specific way or another, but avocado is one such fruit that benefits in every sphere of your life. The health benefits of Avocado range from skin, hair, stomach, and much more.
Avocadoes originated in tropical America before the Spanish conquered over. They are usually greenish or yellowish with a very nutty flavor. This popular fruit can be consumed raw, as a dessert or mashed and added in a few dishes.
It is available globally as it has become very popular in today’s world owing to the “health benefits of avocado.”
Unheard Facts About Avocado
- Avocados(1) are also called ‘Alligator Pear,’ a fruit belonging to the family Lauraceae, a tree found in Mexico.
- Avocado trees have leaves that are 4-12 inches in length.
- The flowers are dichogamous and only open twice.
- The fruit, avocado is the size of a hen’s egg.
- Avocadoes are hand-plucked, and strenuous physical labor makes it an expensive fruit.
- According to the Guinness Book of World Record, the heaviest avocado in the world weighed 2.5 kg.
- Avocado ripens after its plucked from the tree.
- Avocadoes are very rich in fats, vitamins, and nutrients.
- Not just for humans, avocadoes are considered a very healthy fruit for Dogs too.
Health Benefits of Avocado
How Does Avocado Work?
The Avocado nutrition facts suggest it has 73% water. It has 15% fat, 2% protein, fibers, and carbohydrates. If you eat half an avocado, you are likely to consume 109 calories.
The nutritional health benefits of avocado work for your body in multiple ways.
- It keeps your heart healthy. Avocado contains beta-sitosterol that helps to maintain a healthy cholesterol level. If you want to prevent atherosclerosis, you must use an avocado daily.
- Avocadoes are a great source of potassium. They help in fighting against a disease called hypertension. Potassium-rich fruits prevent the arteries from hardening.
- Avocadoes help in keeping the fluid balance through cells and organs intact. They help in the regular and healthy functioning of organs.
- If you have digestion problems, avocadoes can be your best aid. They soothe your intestine, as they are rich in both soluble and soluble fiber that aids digestion. This allows the stools to pass smoothly through the intestines.
- Avocadoes are known to improve vision. Avocadoes contain lutein and zeaxanthin(1) that are carotenoids that protect the eyes from cataract, eye diseases related to age, and macular degeneration.
- Avocadoes are loaded with nutrients for your skin and hair. There are many DIY recipes to improve the quality of your skin and hair using avocado. It is rich in Vitamin E that makes it the vital thing your skin needs.
- As Avocadoes help maintain a healthy gut, it evades bad breath.
Best Ways to Take Avocado
1. Avocado Hair Mask Recipe
If you want to use avocado for hair, you must try this-
- First, blend avocado with an egg yolk.
- Apply it to your hair and leave it for half an hour.
- Shampoo using cold water.
You can use this mask for your hair twice weekly.
[Read: Avocado Hair Mask for Dry Hair]
2. Avocado for Skin
Try this recipe for your skin by using it as a mask.
- Take a ripe avocado and scoop out the flesh.
- Mash till smooth and keep aside.
- Take an apricot, scoop, and keep aside. Mix them well.
- Apply this paste to your face and keep for 10 minutes.
- Wash your face with cold water.
This recipe works for acne, dry skin, and sunburns(2) too. You can add coconut oil for more benefits.
3. Other Avocado Recipes for a Protein Punch
a) Avocado Toast
Take a ripe avocado and scoop out the flesh. Mash well until its smooth.
Toast two slices of bread. Add the mashed avocado and sprinkle some salt on it.
Choose a chunky Avocado, mash it using a potato masher or large fork. Add some tomatoes and garlic to it and mix. Add 1 tsp lemon juice and some salt. You can also add some finely chopped coriander to enhance its taste. Your Guacamole is ready.
Always store in an air-tight container or place onion on top of Guacamole and cover it with a plastic wrap.
If you have heard the health benefits of avocado and want to try it for good health, make sure you check with a doctor to rule out the possible side-effects. The avocado works in mysterious ways on your body, irrespective of it being such a tiny fruit. Don’t wait, rush to get your own set of avocado and indulge in them as food or masks for your body.
1. Do Avocadoes Have Protein?
Avocado is known to have 4 % of the protein in it. To utilize the benefits of avocado, you must eat it every day.