For a woman, fertility issues are one of the hardest things to deal with. Pregnancy is like a blessing for all the women. But few unfortunate women have infertility.
You try all the possible ways to get rid of this issue but still feel unsure, scared and cursed. Yoga for fertility is something which blesses you with the most desired day of your life. Practicing yoga poses to address your fertility problems will help to conceive you in achieving your dream of conceiving a baby.
As per the American Pregnancy Association, approximately 6.1 million females in the U.S. are affected by infertility which is almost 10% of women of the childbearing age(1). And one-fourth of them have more than one reason for infertility.
The decision to conceive at later stages of life is one of the prevalent causes of infertility(2) as the health of the reproductive system gets affected.
Yoga for Fertility
Benefits of Choosing Yoga for Fertility
With the increasing stress and abnormal schedule, lifestyle issues, women are facing devastating physical problems related to fertility. Stress is harmful to your physical and psychological health. Yoga brings back the lost balance and heals you from inside. Yoga for fertility is the new miracle for those couples who are going through the issue.
A specific set of yoga can boost the fertility for women. Let us understand the benefits of yoga for fertility in detail.
Yoga Reduces Stress
The hormone known as cortisol is the reason behind stress. Yoga and regular breathing during yoga bring back harmony and reduce stress by controlling cortisol.
Lower stress level is significant for reducing the chance of complications and helps in conceiving a healthy baby.
Yoga Enhances Circulation
There can be hidden hindrances in reproductive organs which stop them from functioning correctly. Yoga for infertility improves blood circulation and flushes out all the toxins.
Proper blood circulation is essential for the healthy growth of the fetus.
Yoga Reboot Hormonal Imbalance
Being unable to conceive can feel like a curse. And it can be caused due to hormonal imbalance. Yoga brings back the balance in your body and gradually removes all the obstacles.
[Also Read: Acupuncture for Fertility]
Yoga Makes Ovaries Happy and Healthy
Ovarian dysfunction can be the primary cause of infertility(3) among women. Yoga is one of the most effective ways to make your ovaries healthy again.
Yoga balances the mind and body and boosts fertility.
10 Yoga Poses For Increasing Fertility in Women
Yoga can only make you better and healthy. But to address a different issue, you need to practice a different set of yoga. We have already elaborated the advantages of yoga for infertility issue, now let’s talk about the yoga poses to overcome infertility.
1. Bharamari Pranayama or Bee Breath:
Bee Breath is one of the best asanas for stress. It can reduce anxiety, hypertension, and worries altogether.
- Sit comfortably and close your eyes.
- Place your index finger on your cartilage in a way that it can block all the external noises.
- Now breathe deeply. Inhale silently and exhale with a humming sound. You will feel that the humming will reverberate inside.
- Repeat it for 5 to 6 times.
2. Kapalbhati Pranayama or Rhythmic Rapid Breathing:
Kapalbhati can address almost all diseases because it balances hormone levels of the body. It vitalizes the brain function and stimulates the whole body.
- Sit in lotus position with an erected spine.
- Inhale deeply and slowly. But exhale forcefully, and your stomach will go inside during exhaling.
- Your stomach should be compressed and expand during the breathing process.
- Do this pranayama for 5 minutes at least.
[Also Read: Essential Oils for Fertility]
3. Nadi Shodhan pranayama or Alternate Nostril Breathing:
This pranayama releases stress and clears the energy channels throughout the body. Your mind will feel relaxed after doing this pranayama.
- Sit in the lotus position or any relaxed position with the erected spine.
- Press your right nostril with right thumb and inhale through your left nose.
- Now press the left nostril with another finger and exhale from the right nostril.
- Keep this cycle going for 5 minutes.
4. Paschimottasana or Seated Forward Fold:
This asana or pose is good for abdominal organs, hip, hamstrings, and lower back. Due to the gentle but effective squeeze of the abdomen, your ovaries and uterus will be benefitted.
- Sit straight and stretch out your legs in front of you.
- The tip of the toes should be towards you.
- Inhale and move both your hands over your head.
- Lean forward with hands stretched while slowly exhaling.
- Your spine must be straight, and your hands will be on the sides of your legs.
- Hold the pose for 2 minutes.
5. Supta Baddha Konasana or Reclining Bound Angle:
This pose is good for groin muscles, thighs, and other reproductive organs. It reduces stress and menstrual cramps as well.
- Lie down on your back.
- Bend your knees. Your feet will be on the ground.
- Slowly open your knees towards the sides, creating a gap between both the knees.
- Now your soles touch each other.
- Your hands will be beside you.
- Inhale and exhale. Hold this position for 2 minutes.
6. Baddha Konasana or Butterfly Pose:
This pose enhances the flexibility of your private parts, hip joint, and thighs. It releases toxins of inner thigh and joint area.
- Sit straight with legs stretched in front of you.
- Now fold your knees in a way that your soles should touch each other.
- Hold the toes of your feet with both of your hand.
- Keep your spine straight.
- Now slowly try to push both the knees towards the ground and back again.
It will stretch the thighs and pelvic bone.
7. Viparita Karani or Legs Up The Wall Pose:
This asana, Viparita Karani, releases back pain and increases the blood flow to the pelvic region.
- Lie down on your back in a way that your hips are close to a wall.
- Now slowly lift your legs.
- Lift until your legs, and your body is in a 90-degree angle.
- Place your hands beside you in a relaxed position.
8. Setu Bandhasana or Bridge Pose:
Setu Bandhasana is a very important yoga pose for fertility.
- Lie down on your back and bend your knees. Your feet will touch the ground.
- Now start lifting your hips upwards. Your feet and hands will support yours. Your hands should be beside you, and the palm should remain on the floor.
- Lift whole pelvic area while your head, neck, and feet are on the ground.
- Hold the pose for 30 to 60 seconds.
9. Sarvangasana or Supported Shoulder Stand:
This asana stimulates your thyroid gland. It also increases the blood flow in the uterus and upper body.
- Lie on your back.
- Now, slowly lift both of your legs towards the ceiling.
- You can support them with your hands.
- You need to hold the inverted position on your shoulder.
Remember this pose requires concentration and balance. Do not try it in a hurry.
10. Bhujangasana or Cobra Pose:
This asana that toughens your back muscles makes them more flexible while stimulating hormone production in the uterus.
- Lie on your abdomen.
- Now lift your upper body by while getting the support through pressing both of your hands on the floor.
- Arch and stretch your back and look straight.
- Hold this pose for 30 seconds as you breathe.
Precautions to Take During Yoga for Fertility
Yoga’s efficacy does not need any explanation anymore. But women suffering from few other issues should avoid doing yoga for fertility or should seek an expert’s advice before start practicing.
Asthma: If you have a severe breathing problem or asthma then asanas like Kapalbhati Pranayama or Sarvangasana are strictly prohibited.
Spine Injury: All the asanas which need you to bend your spine, are not for you if you have any spine injury or any other surgery.
Hip Injury or replacement: There are few asanas mentioned above which require stretching of hip bones. If you have any hip injury or hip replacement, then avoid those poses.
Cardiac Issues: Cardiac patients should always avoid poses like cobra or Sarvangasana. Feeling out of breath while practicing yoga is never recommended.
Knee Injury: You should avoid asanas like butterfly pose or any other pose which requires bending knees if you have knee joint issues or knee injury.
All fertility yoga poses will enhance flexibility, proper breathing, and improved blood flow to the reproductive area. Relieving stress is highly required for conceiving and experiencing a healthy pregnancy ahead. Excessive stress can trigger hormonal imbalance. So, all the issues are interconnected. Thus, solving the problem from the core is needed.
That is why you should try and practice yoga for fertility to solve the problem gradually. Yoga is not an overnight fix. You need to be patient and committed. With time, you will get the result you were seeking.