Be it a child, a teen or an adult, ADHD is increasingly affecting all equally. It is a common neurological disorder which affects an individual’s life, not only the individual but also the lives of the family members’. ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) is a complex neurological disorder, which makes it extremely hard for the individual to pay attention and control impulsive behavior. The person suffering ADHD is often hyperactive and behaves inappropriately despite their age and circumstances.
Do You Know?
- ADHD is diagnosed at an average age of merely seven.
- The first signs of ADHD in a child are detected between three to six years.
- There is an eminent increase of 42% in the diagnosis of ADHD over the past 8 years.
Foods Triggering ADHD
Stress and lack of sleep trigger ADHD(1) the most. The anxiety of reaching the top often leads to stress and loss of sleep in children and adults alike. Therefore, it is crucial to keep stress at bay and get adequate sleep in order to manage the symptoms of ADHD.
ADHD management comprises of counseling, lifestyle changes, medications and avoiding those foods that trigger ADHD. So you need to have knowledge about those foods in order to avoid ADHD.
- Avoiding candy in the diet is the primary factor. Sugar is like kryptonite for the individual’s brain suffering from ADHD. Candy is fully loaded with sugar and artificial colorings, which are harmful to ADHD patients.
- High-fructose corn syrup, caffeine, soda cause to enhance and trigger the underlying condition of ADHD. The excessive intake of caffeine and sugar leads to easy distractions and hyperactivity.
- Studies show that food causing allergies in the individual definitely add on to the ADHD condition and it also triggers ADHD patients. Therefore, it is important to consult a doctor to know about an individual’s allergies before preparing any food for him/her, especially if that person is suffering from ADHD.
However, if these are needed to be avoided when there are certain foods or rather minerals or Vitamins for ADHD patients, and they are highly recommended for these patients too. It helps these patients a lot, as it promotes brain developments and helps in reducing anxiety as well.
Best Vitamins for ADHD
- Vitamins for ADHD is beneficial in managing the condition to a great extent. Vitamin B is one of the crucial vitamins for the proper functioning of the brain. Deficiency in Vitamin B, especially Vitamin B6(2), causes irritability and fatigue in children and adults. Vitamin B for ADHD increases alertness and decreases anxiety. The adequate levels of Vitamin B can easily be achieved through a proper nutritional diet or additional supplements.
- Magnesium improves overall cognitive behavior in children. Several studies confirm that children with magnesium deficiency were affected by poor cognitive skills.
- Vitamin C is one of the best Vitamins for ADHD. Vitamin C helps significantly in the absorption of iron. Studies show that children on Vitamin C supplements, experience improved ADHD conditions, especially, when it comes to being hyperactive. It calms the brain.
- Vitamin C for ADHD along with omega acids is beneficial for adults in managing the condition. Omega 3 fatty acids are important in the functioning of the brain and nerve cells. People with ADHD show the enormous improvement in the condition, after regular consumption of the supplement.
[Read: Supplements for ADHD]
Impacts of ADHD
- Surveys and studies show that a child diagnosed with ADHD is often a slow learner due to lack of concentration. There are complains with regards to the behavioral issues of the child from the school as the child is unable to recollect his thoughts and emotions. Hence, they often become aggressive with other peers in the class. Such behavior of the child often makes him/her lonely.
- The ADHD effect lingers even in the teenage and adulthood of an individual. It greatly impacts the individual’s marital life. In the work field, such hostile behavior is unacceptable. Focusing on the job at hand becomes extremely difficult. The stress to meet deadlines takes a toll on the individual, mentally and physically. This constant stress aggravates the condition. The individual faces problem in holding on to a job for a longer duration of time.
- Be it a child or an adult, ADHD affects the quality of life. The family members, and people nearby the patient, all are equally affected due to the condition. Therefore, it is necessary to treat the condition as soon as possible. This condition affects the overall quality of life of an individual.
To sum it up, individuals suffering from ADHD should follow a healthy lifestyle and make dietary changes to manage the symptoms of ADHD. Consulting the doctor is advisable, as the doctor can determine the best Vitamins for kids with ADHD, after conducting a thorough series of tests. Adults affected with ADHD show improvement in the condition upon treatment. The doctor prescribes the best Vitamins for adults with ADHD in order to manage the condition.
So, if anyone in your family or friend is suffering from ADHD, be patient and ask him/her to bring about a change in his/her lifestyle and ask them to be calm. Advice them to go for counseling and consult a nutritionist or a dietician and prepare such a diet for them that will contain all the essential Vitamins and minerals and would help them to get a proper cure from that problem.
[Read: Alternative Treatments for ADHD]
1. Is There a Natural Supplement for ADHD?
A combination of American ginseng and ginkgo leaf improved sleep patterns in children. Thus there’s some evidence that certain natural supplements might help.
2. Can ADHD Be Cured Naturally?
Children with Magnesium, Zinc, and Iron deficiency are more prone to ADHD. Hence, these are important for regulating levels of neurotransmitters and other brain chemicals, such as melatonin.