The fight against COVID19, self-quarantine has affected a lot in our daily lifestyle. Proper nutrition is very important for the immune system to fight back. Access to fresh food is limited, which is leading to a compromise on your health & diet increase in the consumption of processed food, which is again high in fat & sugar, salt.
We can support our good health even with limited ingredients & one can continue to eat healthily. Along with staying & eating healthy, each individual has to be physically active. Practicing home-based exercise and good sleep plays an important role in functioning our immune system(1) & metabolism.
Quarantine Meal Plan
Herbal tea- 1 cup water add grated ginger, 3 tulsi leaves, 1 tsp Carom seeds, 2 cardamoms,¼ tsp turmeric powder, ¼ tsp black pepper,3 drop honey & boil for 10 minutes
|Breakfast||1 bowl Porridge ( oats / ragi )|
|Mid Morning||1 orange / 1 glass orange juice / 1 cup Indian gooseberry juice /
1 fruit / fistful nuts / 2 each dry fruits
1 jowar/ nachni roti / 1 cup rice + 1 cup vegetable + 1 cup sprout + curd / buttermilk
|Post Lunch||1 cup green tea / 1 cup hot water with lemon|
Herbal tea- 1 cup water add grated ginger, 3 holy basil leaves, 1 tsp carom seeds, 2 cardamom,¼ tsp turmeric, ¼ tsp black pepper,3 drop honey & boil for 10 minutes
|Dinner||1 bowl vegetable oats|
|Post Dinner||1 cup green tea / 1 cup hot water with lemon|
Note: Consume 2 – 3 ltr of water daily
Must-Try Recipes During the Quarantine
1. Banana Apple Smoothie
- 1 banana
- 1 apple, 2-3 dates
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 cup of water
Blend all the ingredients until smooth
2. Chia Seed Pudding
- ½ cup chia seeds
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 cup almond milk/coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- For garnish – nuts / dry fruits/ fruits
- Soak ½ cup chia seeds in almond/coconut milk for 60 minutes
- After 60 minutes add cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla essence mix well
- Serve in a bowl & put your choice of garnish
3. Ragi / Oats Porridge
- 2 tbsp ragi flour
- 1½ cup of water
- 1 tsp jaggery
- ½ cup almond/coconut milk
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder / elachi powder
- Take 2 tablespoon ragi flour.
- Mix ragi flour in ½ cup water without forming any lumps. Keep aside.
- Now boil 1 cup water in a saucepan
- Once the water is boiled, add in dissolved ragi flour.
- Stir continuously on medium.flame
- Mixture thickens after 5 minutes and will turn glossy
- Add 1 tablespoon jaggery.
- Keep on stirring the mixture until the jaggery dissolves completely and turns creamy.
- Now add ½ cup milk and mix on low flame.
- Then add ¼ tsp cardamom powder and mix well.
4. Bajra/ Jowar Khichdi
- 1/3 cup whole black millet
- 3 tbsp split yellow gram
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Olive-Oil
- salt to taste
- First, clean and grind the bajra into a coarse powder in a blender. Keep aside.
- Wash the ground bajra and moong dal together.
- Combine the bajra and moong dal mixture and salt with 2 cups of water and pressure cook for four whistles
- Heat olive oil in a pan & add the asafoetida and cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, pour this mixture over the cooked khichdi and mix well.
- Add ½ cup of hot water if necessary to adjust the consistency of khichidi at the time of serving.
- Serve hot with kadhi or curds.
About the Author:
Raheela Hasan Gazi, Health & Nutrition Specialist
Welcome to my digital world of fitness! Born and brought up in the beautiful city of Mumbai- graduating myself in food nutrition dietetics from SNDT college, MBA health care services, diabetes educator, certified as an international yoga trainer, this was the best career decision I could have ever taken.