Sometimes you feel a throbbing sensation in your head and feel like it is going to explode. This feeling or condition is caused due to migraines and if not addressed properly can lead to severe discomfort.
There is no definite cure for migraine in medical science, but thankfully with the help of natural remedies like peppermint oil for a migraine, it is now easy to get rid of the pain.
A migraine is a headache condition which is caused due to the result of specific changes in the brain. The outcome has a very severe head pain which is accompanied with intense sensitivity towards sounds, smell and also light.
Symptoms of a migraine
A migraine can be identified on the occurrence of the following symptoms;
- Sensitivity towards light and sound
- Intense eye pain
- Vomiting and nausea
- And sever pain especially on one side of the head
Types of a migraine
There are several types of Migraines which are as follows;
- An ocular migraine: This is considered a very rare phenomenon of a migraine, which results in a temporary loss of vision and even temporary blindness in one eye. They are caused due to reduced blood flow or spasms in the blood vessels in the retina of the eye.
- A cluster migraine: They are short but considered excruciating headaches. The occurrence of these headaches is very seasonal wherein the individual tends to get them at the same time during the year.
- A menstrual migraine: About 60% of women get a migraine right before their menstrual cycle begins. This condition leads to the drop in the two female hormones, owing to this change there is a trigger for a menstrual migraine.
- A hormonal migraine: Women tend to suffer from a migraine three times more than men. This is again majorly due to hormonal changes within them.
- A stomach migraine: This is more common among children especially ranging between ages 5-9 years. The leading cause for a stomach migraine is primarily due to abdominal pain.
Why use peppermint oil for a migraine
Peppermint oil is an essential oil which is very commonly used for a condition like Migraines. It has properties that help treat headaches and especially migraines. This oil has a significant content of menthol which has amazing properties, which help relax the muscles and also helps in easing out the pain.
How to use peppermint oil for a migraine
There are few ways to use peppermint oil for Migraines, and they are as follows;
- Adding a few drops to your bath: adding in a few drops of this oil will help decrease the intensity of a headache. One can also choose to turn the lights off and use a candle if in case sensitive to lights. This technique will prevent the coming of a headache and will also stop from worsening it.
- Inhalation through steam: adding in 2 to 3 drops of peppermint oil to a hot bowl of water and thereafter taking steam will specifically help with conditions like sinus, headaches, and also from other symptoms of congestion.
- Mixing it with a massage oil: the oil can be diluted with the help of any carrier oil and can be applied directly onto the affected areas like the temples.
- Diffusing it into the air: by diffusing peppermint oil into the air and inhalation will help reduce the intensity of a migraine.
- Peppermint tea: this oil can also be consumed orally, by making peppermint tea using peppermint leaves.
How to apply peppermint oil for migraines
One way to use peppermint oil is by applying the diluted form of this oil to the temples which prove to be of great help in relieving the migraine pain and well as a severe and intense headache.
Dos and Don’ts
Always buy essential oils from a very reliable source, it can be either online or a store. When planning especially for consumption make sure to buy a food grade peppermint essential oil. Always consult a health expert before consumption of this oil especially when already undergoing medical prescription drugs. Ensure to store the oil in a cold and dry place, which will help to increase the shelf life oil the essential oil. Always opt for an organic form of oils since they will not contain any artificial or synthetic preservatives or chemicals.
Few precautions have to be kept in mind before using peppermint oil for Migraines. Keep the oil away from children and infants especially if the oil is undiluted. People with pre-existing disorders like gallbladder, gallstones, kidney stones, and chronic heart burns should avoid using peppermint oil without the advice or supervision of a health expert.
If you have a highly allergic and sensitive skin, do not use peppermint oil with prior consultation with a health expert. Pregnant women and also women breastfeeding should take extra care while using this oil. However, peppermint oil is safe for pregnant women, and for those breastfeeding make sure to remove peppermint oil from skin before nursing. Avoid the use of incense sticks in and around the house, since there are chances it could worsen the symptoms of a migraine.
Other home remedies for migraines
- Ginger tea: Ginger is a root which contains unusual anti-inflammatory properties and also contains antioxidants. It also helps to eliminate symptoms of migraine-like nausea, vomiting, and severe headaches.
- Caffeinated tea or coffee: Sipping on such beverages like coffee and tea which contain caffeine in them are considered to provide significant relief from headaches. They help in uplifting the mood, increases alertness and also constricts the blood vessels, which has a positive result against symptoms of a migraine.
- Intake of Magnesium: Magnesium is considered a very mineral which is necessary for the functioning of the human body. It is the best remedy against severe headaches. People, especially with magnesium deficiency, tend to get more prone to symptoms of migraine with frequent headaches. Under the advice of a health expert consumption of magnesium supplements will be of great help for conditions like a migraine.
Not only migraine headaches but even for regular headaches, people are seeking natural treatments that are effective. Natural methods are safe and also prevent any side effects. With traditional medication of drugs there is not much guarantee of total cure, and also, they possess higher possibilities of side effects and can also deteriorate the health of an individual. Hoping the above information on Peppermint oil for a Migraine was of some help.