Migraines are the unwanted guests that stay longer than we need them to and cause a lot of pain and chaos that was uncalled for. Have you ever had a head pounding Migraine and you notice how it affects your entire day, and you are unable to do the things you can do in your sleep because you lack focus? You feel nauseous and sick, and this Migraine wouldn’t leave you after popping three pills and a glass full of warm milk.
But what if I tell you I have a way you can treat your Migraines without overloading yourself with drugs? A way to treat your Migraine and get best results! CBD oil for Migraines is the new treatment on the block, and it is quickly catching fame due to its excellent benefits and uses. If you haven’t heard it yet, here is all you need to know about CBD oil and how it treats Migraines.
Causes for Migraines
Migraines, the unbearable throbbing pain on usually one side of your head followed by nauseous vomiting, light-headedness, and heightened light and sound sensitivity. They last from several hours to three days. There are several causes behind these chronic headaches(1). Which differ from person to person.
- Genetics is a major cause for Migraines. It might be because your parents had them as well. They may also be caused because of environmental factors like rain or high temperature or barometric pressure.
- Another major cause is due to hormone imbalance, during Migraine attacks serotonin levels drop, and there might also be brainstems and its interactions with the trigeminal nerve which is a major pain pathway.
- Another Migraine trigger for women is explicitly hormonal changes. Oestrogen fluctuations trigger Migraines; this may happen during pregnancy or periods.
- Food is a significant trigger too, skipping a meal or fasting can cause a Migraine. Eating salty, or processed food also causes Migraines.
- The preservative monosodium glutamate (MSG) found in a lot of fast food also triggers Migraines.
- Stress, lack of sleep and change of sleep cycle also causes Migraines.
- Taking a specific medication is also a trigger.
- Certain smells like paint, second-hand smoke, and bright lights also induce Migraines.
- Alcohol and caffeinated drinks also trigger a Migraine in some people.
Signs and Symptoms of a Migraine
Constipation, mood swings, yawning and pain or stiffness in the neck, feeling extremely thirsty are all symptoms of a Migraine attack.
After the Migraine attack, you might feel confused, dizzy moody and weak. You might also be extra sensitive to light and sound stimuli.
What is CBD oil?
Cannabidiol or CBD is one of the four hundred and four components in the marijuana plant, cannabis sativa. Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which causes the ‘high’ feeling one gets on consuming marijuana is absent in CBD. This makes it suitable for treating pain without having a mind-altering effect.
In the USA, CBD is legal in all states where medical marijuana is legal. CBD oil is made by extracting CBD from the cannabis plant(2) and then mixing it with a carrier oil like coconut oil or hemp seed oil to dilute it. Because of its many uses, it is gaining quick fame as a suitable natural remedy.
[Read: Essential Oils For Migraines]
CBD Oil Uses
- It reduces pain. Marijuana is shown to reduce pain, and now researchers have realized that CBD is one of the components that helps reduce pain. It reduces inflammation and interacts with neurotransmitters to reduce pain. It also reduces pain due to sclerosis and even arthritis can be treated with CBD.
- While we are talking about reducing pain, CBD oil is beneficial for suffering cancer patients. It reduces pain and helps with other symptoms like chemotherapy- inducing vomiting and nausea. Studies also prove that CBD when introduced into the body kill breast cancer cells.
- Help treat mental disorders like anxiety and depression. Regular medicine to treat such mental problems can be addictive and have many side effects, but natural CBD oil achieves the goal without having to worry about drug abuse.
- What is more? It can also help with acne. Due to the anti-inflammatory properties of CBD, applying CBD oil helps treat acne and prevents activation of Cytokines which are acne inducing. It also stops sebum production as well by working on sebaceous glands.
- It can treat neural disorders like epilepsy, reduce seizures and helps with sclerosis. Another neurological disorder it can help with is by stopping neurodegeneration in Alzheimer’s diseases. It also helps people suffering from Parkinson’s disease have a better sleep.
- It reduces psychotic symptoms in people who have schizophrenia.
- CBD oil is a natural way of treating high blood pressure.
Why use CBD oil for Migraines Management?
CBD oil has an endless list of uses, and the best point of the oil is that it is a natural remedy. That means it is chemical free and gives you results without affecting your body’s immune system. How many medications do you take to help with your headaches and what effect do you think they leave on your body? Instead of a drug-induced answer to your chronic headache, a safe and straightforward oil can help you treat a persistent problem that a Migraine is. It also takes out the fear of drug abuse or drug overdose; there is no way of getting addicted to the oil. With the little side effects that it has, it is the better end of the medication deal.
There are different brands of CBD oil in the market which say that theirs is the best CBD oil for Migraine Management. But, be careful and choose the brand after checking the credibility of the product.
[Read: Peppermint Oil for Migraines]
How to use CBD oil for Migraines?
There are many ways to take CBD oil. You can consume it orally if you are beginning to use CBD oil. It has the least side-effects this way. You can take CBD oil pills, cape it or put a few drops of CBD oil under your tongue, let it stay for sixty seconds so that your blood vessels can absorb it.
Do check with your doctor once, as they’re aware of your medical history. You don’t know how your body handles a new medication, and the side-effects you might suffer from can vary and might be challenging for different individuals. Especially if you are taking other medications, it might interfere with it.
Do’s and Don’ts
If you are ingesting CBD oil orally, it is better to do so if you are staying at home for a while. Also, start with a small dose and make your way up, this way the side-effects are low, and you can healthily treat your Migraine.
Side effects of using CBD oil
There aren’t many side-effects of CBD oil, many people usually accept them, but some may suffer from certain side-effects. For example, if you are consuming it or vaping it, you might experience lung irritation. This can lead to a chronic cough; you may have difficulty breathing and have wheezing problems. That is why your doctor might prescribe against it if you have asthma.
Other side-effects include stomach upset and diarrhoea. You may also suffer from a change in appetite. You can also feel fatigue. But it is safe and sturdy, and the therapeutic uses overpower the side-effects.
How to Use CBD Oil at Home
Now that we know the benefits of CBD oil, here is a recipe to make it at home. It is best to follow the instructions to the last word for the best results.
CBD is extracted from the leaves of the cannabis plant. Dilute the CBD with a carrier oil like say coconut oil and mix it in a bowl. Then, boil the mixture and pour into a mason jar through a washcloth to filter it out. Then, let the mixture cool at least for three hours. Then, use the oil as prescribed or desired.
[Read: Massage for Migraines]
Other natural remedies to treat Migraines
- Applying an essential oil like lavender oil helps with a Migraine, you can directly apply it to your temples and the affected area. Inhaling lavender oil also eases the pain to some extent. Applying peppermint oil or menthol oil also helps with the pain.
- Using acupressure is another way, this helps relieve pain and also gets rid of a Migraine induced nausea.
- Feverfew which is a herb that looks like the flower daisy and is used for Migraine treatment for years now.
- Ginger is perfect to help with nausea and also helps reduce the pain.
- Another great remedy is exercising and meditating. Yoga is perfect to help with repeating Migraines as it helps reducing anxiety and stress which are one of the triggers of Migraine pain.
- Altering your diet is a great way to prevent Migraines. Not eating fried food or chocolate or caffeinated drinks a lot can help with preventing recurring Migraines. Also eating food with high magnesium levels helps prevent Migraines. Food like peanut butter, sesame seeds, oatmeal, eggs, milk, and cashews.
Suffering from migraines pain can render you helpless over a period of time, but now with the help of CBD Oil for Migraines, you can effectively manage this ailment. CBD Oil has gained a lot of popularity lately due to its incredible health benefits. But you must consult an expert to determine the exact quantity that you must use. Leading a healthy and active lifestyle along with the above mentioned home remedies will offer you significant relief from migraines in the long run.