Remember the love lyric from our childhood that goes, “Here we go round the mulberry bush on a cold and frosty morning”? Ever wondered how remarkably healthy a handful of mulberries can be? Read on to find out some of the most amazing mulberry benefits for health and beauty.
What is Mulberry?
Mulberry is a delicious and nutritious variety of berries that belong to the Morus nigra or the Morus Australis genus of the deciduous family. The origin of the sweet and exotic mulberry lies in China. The fruit is an ideal ingredient of jellies, jams, tarts, teas, pies, and cordials. Some of the most popular varieties of mulberries are the Red mulberry, Black mulberry, and American mulberry.
Mulberry Nutrition Profile
Mulberry is known for its rich array of nutrients. 100 grams of mulberries contain-
- Dietary fiber
- Vitamins like vitamin K, vitamin C, and riboflavin
- Minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and sodium
- Phytonutrients such as anthocyanins, resveratrol, lutein, zeaxanthin, and other essential polyphenols
Top 7 Glorious Mulberry Benefits for Health and Beauty
1. How red mulberry benefits the health of the digestive system?
Red mulberry benefits the health of the digestive system. Mulberry is rich in dietary fiber content which helps in the regulation of bowel movement and prevents constipation, stomach flu, bloating, cramp, and irritable bowel movement.
2. How black mulberry benefits for the control of blood pressure?
Black mulberry benefits cardiac health with its content of flavonoids like resveratrol, lutein, zeaxanthin, etc. That fight against angiotensin and protects the heart against fluctuations in blood pressure. Resveratrol can help in the generation of nitric oxide which aids in vasodilation and promotes the healthy circulation of blood.
3. How mulberry leaf extract for the prevention and cure of cancer?
Mulberry leaf extract gets loaded with phytonutrients that are potent antioxidants. These antioxidants fight against oxidative stress and protect the body against cancer caused by toxic free radicals. Drinking mulberry tea prepared from mulberry leaf extract can even promote apoptosis or cell death of cancerous cells and prevent metastasis or the spreading of cancer. Consumption of mulberry benefits also aids in the shrinking of tumors.
4. How mulberry tea benefits for the improvement of vision?
Mulberry benefits the health of the eyes. The berries contain zeaxanthin that protects the eyes against oxidative stress and preserves the health of the ocular cells.
5. How is mulberry tea useful for the cure of diabetes?
Mulberry benefits the health of people with diabetes. It has been revealed by medical research that drinking mulberry tea can control any sudden spikes in the level of blood glucose and can stabilize the level of blood sugar. The mulberry tea helps in keeping blood sugar under control.
6. How is mulberry leaf extract for the prevention and cure of inflammatory diseases?
Mulberry tea benefits the fight against inflammatory diseases by suppressing the inflammatory response of the body. The extract obtained from mulberry leaves has phytonutrients that are potent antioxidants. These antioxidants fight against oxidative stress and heal inflammatory diseases like rheumatism, intestinal inflammation and more.
7. How beneficial is mulberry tea for the cure of common cold?
Mulberry benefits the natural treatment of common cold. Drinking freshly brewed mulberry tea can cure the different symptoms of the common cold such as fever, nasal and chest congestion, coughing fits, sneezing, runny nose, and sore throat.
1. Mulberry Jelly
- 3-4 pounds of ripe red and black mulberries
- 1/2 a cup of freshly extracted lemon juice
- 6-7 cups of sugar
- 6-7 ounces of fruit gelatin
- Crush the mulberries and pour them into a saucepan
- Heat the crushed mulberries until the mulberry juice starts flowing out. Cover the pan and let the juicing berries simmer for about 15-20 minutes
- Wrap the contents of the saucepan in cheesecloth and strain out all of the juice
- Add the juice to a saucepan along with the sugar and lemon juice with stirring
- Increase the flame and boil the contents while stirring continuously
- Add the gelatin to the boiling mixture and keep stirring
- Turn off the heat and pour the mulberry jelly to a jar
- Refrigerate the mulberry jelly for about an hour
- Serve when the jelly sets into a firm and wobbly lump
- Mulberry jelly tastes best when spread on lightly buttered toast
2. Mulberry tea
- One cup of water
- One teaspoon of fresh mulberry leaves
- Four tablespoons of freshly extracted mulberry juice
- One teaspoon of honey
- Crush the mulberry leaves into pieces and place a teaspoon of it into a pot
- Pour the water into the pot
- Boil the contents of the pot and then let it steep for about 3-5 minutes
- Add the mulberry juice and honey to the infusion while it simmers down
- Serve hot with sugar-free crackers
Mulberry Side Effects
Given below are a few side effects of mulberries
- Allergic reactions
- Interference with drugs and medications
- Skin problems
- Renal discomfort
- Interference with pregnancy and breastfeeding
Mulberries get packed with health benefits. Drinking mulberry tea or munching on the mulberry benefits in boosting the health and functioning of the different physiological systems and help to stay healthy and fit. If you feel a sudden craving for desserts, go for a handful of rich and juicy mulberries to nurture your sweet tooth healthily.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the taste of mulberries?
Mulberries possess a delicious and sweet flavor and a slightly crispy texture.
2. What gives mulberry its tart nature?
The slightly tart flavor of mulberry comes from its content of citric acid and malic acid.
3. Does mulberry have a low glycemic index?
Mulberry has a low glycemic index which makes it healthy for consumption.