Unfortunately, the topic of menses in society is still considered a taboo, shameful by many to talk about it, and menstruation is often presented as something that needs to be hidden from everyone. Menses are just a part of the normal monthly cycle of women during their reproductive years.
However, it is very important to know about the structure of your body and its processes to maintain your health; this also applies to menses.
First of all, we need to know what this Menstruation is?
Menstruation is also known as a period. It is a process of discharging blood and lining of the uterus through the vagina. Menstruation usually occurs every month in a girl if one is not pregnant or sometimes might be irregular due to some disease or pathology.
Menes usually lasts from 3 to 7 days. The first menstruation in a girl’s life is called menarche. It usually occurs between the ages of 11 and 15, most often at 12-14. From this moment on, the female body is capable of fertilization and pregnancy. At about 40-55 years, menstruation stops, and menopause occurs.
However, the menstrual cycle(1) length may vary slightly from month to month; this is also normal. A longer menstrual cycle is typical for adolescents, with age, there is a tendency for a decrease in cycle length and more clear regularity.
[Also Read: Natural Remedies for Irregular Periods]
How is a girl affected by menstruation?
As we discussed about Periods, it is also important to know the effects of mensuration on a girl. It is a natural process that marks the beginning of a girl’s path to full bloom as a woman. It is the main sign of the transition from childhood to adolescence.
- The menstrual cycle is a normal process in female physiology, but in reality, it often turns out that it does not go as smoothly as it should. Harbingers of menarche can be unmotivated changes in well-being, headaches, dizziness, lower abdominal pain, nausea, etc.
- Cramping is a common problem that arises before a girl’s periods starts and last during the Bleeding process.
Some measures that can be taken to reduce the pain of cramping are:-
- Practice Yoga and Meditation.
- Some herbal tea can calm cramping.
- Avoid certain foods like Fatty food, alcohol, carbonated beverages.
- Add herbs to your diet like Ginger, Cinnamon, and fennel seed.
- Doing regular exercise can also help in relieving menstrual pain.
Difficulty in periods may include hefty bleeding, period pain, irregular menses, and premenstrual syndrome, which makes some girls feel irritable and can cause tender breasts, aching.
Depression may be an underlying result of Menses in girls.
During menstruation (critical days), personal hygiene should be given special attention. These days, the genitals are more prone to infection due to a slight decrease in the body’s defenses. So let us understand how a girl can maintain Personal Hygiene during Menes.
[Also Read: How to stop Heavy Periods]
Personal hygiene during this Period
During the Period of rapid restructuring of the body and hormonal surge, personal hygiene questions become especially relevant. To take care of the changing body’s health, the girl should know in detail how she needs to maintain hygiene.
Genital hygiene is a very important part of a girl’s health.
- One of the basic rules of intimate hygiene is daily washing. You need to wash with warm water, clean hands, and make movements from front to back – from the external genital organs to the anus to avoid bacteria entering the vagina.
- Blood provides an ideal environment for bacteria to live and reproduce. You should especially carefully wash the external genitalia with running water using various intimate hygiene products.
- Depending upon the flow of bleeding, one must change Sanitary Pads no less than 3-4 hours to avoid the smell from Bacteria growth.
- Compliance with the rules of general and intimate hygiene extends to the area of the chest and armpits. In adolescence, sweat glands are actively functioning. If hygiene is not observed, they can become clogged with the subsequent appearance of a very unpleasant odor. Therefore, it is necessary to take a shower twice a day, morning, and evening. It is advisable in the morning after a shower to treat the armpits with antiperspirants, deodorants.
- Douching the vagina is not recommended, especially during menstruation, since the vagina has its own chemical microenvironment that protects the internal genital organs from microorganisms’ pathological effects. It is recommended that you use pads and tampons during your Period. The most important thing is that the pads should be changed regularly (at least 4-5 times a day combined with washing the genitals and thighs 2-3 times a day).
- Do not use scented powders, wipes, soaps, gels, or other products full of chemicals as they may irritate the vagina’s lining. These chemicals can cause a serious problem if the usage of this product is not reduced.
- Insufficient, low-calorie nutrition – negatively affects the development of the girl’s body. Therefore, in particular, the nutrition of girls should be high in calories, varied, and rich in vitamins.
- For adolescent girls who do not have menstruation, washing the external genitalia with running water should be done at least one time daily at night.
A regular menstrual cycle is a sign that important organs in your body are functioning normally. That is why it is extremely important to monitor your period cycle not only when you are afraid or trying to get pregnant.
Any deviations from the normal cycle can sign some unusual processes in the body that are always better to exclude immediately because if the concern turns out to be fair, it is always best to start treatment as early as possible!
[Also Read: Incredible Ways To Induce Periods]
Menstruation is just a normal part of a girl’s life. And a girl going through periods might lead to microbe spreads in their genital if they don’t make neat themselves regularly. Keeping proper menstrual hygiene is important to women and girls’ health, strength, well-being, and productivity.
“Be dignified and Self-supportive for your menstruation”
About The Author:
Dr. Vikram Chauhan – MD (Ayurveda) is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda and Krishna Herbal Company. He is an author of Book – God’s Manual For Healing. He is an expert Ayurveda consultant from Chandigarh and practicing in Mohali, India.