Mackerel fish belongs to the Scombridae family. Few types of this fish include Atlantic, King, Spanish, and Cero Mackerel. Every medical practitioner will agree that eating fish is very beneficial to your health- and so is Mackarel The mackerel fish nutrition includes its richness in fatty oil, antioxidants, and its ability to prevent certain diseases. Fish can be useful for you, but the mercury content can be very harmful. It is crucial to buy it from reputed fish sellers, and it is best avoided when pregnant.
- Mackerel are saltwater fish and have a wide variety.
- Consuming this fish every day can help lower your blood pressure.
- Mackerel meat is known to be very oily, and that’s why they are priced.
Mackerel Fish Benefits for Your Body
- Mackerel is known to be abundant in Omega 3 fatty acids(1). They are essential fats that are required to be a vital part of our diets.
- Mackerel fish are known to be very rich in Vitamin K. This is a delicious way of increasing your Vitamin K levels. Do not take this as a primary source of Vitamin K but add it to your diet to increase the levels of the vitamin. Vitamin K prevents Osteoarthritis, allows the blood to clot, prevents calcification of arteries, and much more.
- Mackerel can control the blood cholesterol levels in your body. Eating this fish every day will help in lowering LDL levels, which is responsible for most heart-related diseases.
- It has positive effects in treating arthritis. It is known to reduce inflammation actively and can reduce the pain caused by arthritis. The omega-3 fatty acids are responsible for minimizing the effects of inflammation.
- Mackerel benefits include improving brain health. It strengthens memory and prevents diseases like schizophrenia, dementia, and many more.
- If you seek to lose weight, you must eat mackerel every day. The fatty acids help in burning fat. They help to curb appetite and makes you eat less.
- This fish has enormous protein content. Protein is required for your body’s growth and proper functioning of organs. Having 1-2 servings every day of protein-rich food fulfills your protein requirement levels in your body.
- It has the required electrolytes much needed by the body. Every time there is a physical activity, the electrolytes perish away. Eating mackerel will help in keeping an electrolyte balance. It can give you up to 400 gm of magnesium.
- Mackerel fish helps in boosting your immunity as it is rich in antioxidants and vitamins.
- This fish is a storehouse of B complex vitamins that are required for good health.
[Read: Health Benefits of Tuna]
Best Recipes of Mackerel Fish That You Must Try
Here are a few mackerel fish recipes that benefit your health.
1. Grilled Mackerel for Boosting Immunity
- Fillets of mackerel fish
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Rinse the fish fillets and pat dry using a paper towel. Remove the bones, if any.
- Take a small bowl and add lemon juice, 4 tbsp of olive oil, 2 tbsp minced garlic cloves, and salt and pepper.
- Coat the fish in the mixture and let this stay for 20 minutes.
- Heat your grill and cook the fish fillets for 2 minutes on each side.
Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges. Serve.
2. Smocked Mackerel and Avocado Toast for Aiding Digestion
- 2 slices of bread
- Smoked Mackerel fish
- Toast the bread. While bread gets toasted, cut a ripe avocado and remove the skin and the pit. Mash the avocado, and keep aside.
- Take the smoked mackerel, remove bones, and keep aside.
- Now, pick the toasted bread and spread the mashed avocado over it. Also, break the fish into chunks to add them over the toast.
- Add some spring onion and add lime and pepper.
[Read: Benefits of Avocado]
3. Stuffed Potato and Mackerel for Cardiovascular and Cognitive Benefits
- 1 baked sweet potato
- 3 tbsp of mayonnaise and cream cheese
- 120 grams of Smoked mackerel
- Roughly chopped celery
- 1 chopped spring onion
- 2 tsp parsley finely chopped
- ½ lemon juice.
- First, remove the skin from the fish and then break them into chunks. Mash the fish and add lemon juice.
- Add the cream cheese and mayonnaise mix, spring onion, herbs, and chopped celery.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a baked potato.
This dip also goes well with breadsticks, nachos, and crudités.
[Read: Benefits Of Raw Potato]
If you are fond of mackerel fish, you must be cautious of the following-
- The skin of the fish can be poisonous, which is why it must be cleaned and appropriately removed before being cooked for consumption.
- This fish must be eaten the day its captured as the preservation procedure is cumbersome.
- You must avoid eating this if pregnant or breastfeeding, as it might have some traces of mercury. Mercury is harmful to the development of the fetus in the womb.
Opt a healthy diet, including a maximum of two portions of mackerel fish every day for the benefits. Being rich in fatty acids, it keeps your heart healthy. But balance is the key to everything. Overeating will does not make it healthy enough and not work effectively as an alternative for medicines for your heart ailments. Enjoy the benefits of mackerel fish(2) by adding it to your diet, and always consult your doctor if you are suffering from any disease.
1. Can Mackerel Fish Be Picked and Eaten Later?
Mackerel fish benefits are best utilized when eaten the day they are captured. In case you can’t, it must be refrigerated in a deep freezer in an airtight conditioner. It is best to eat it within a few days of capturing.