Pregnancy is one of the most joyful as well as critical phases of a woman’s life. It is crucial to be physically and mentally healthy during this phase in order to promote healthy fetal growth. One should consume wholesome foods that include fruits and vegetables. Consuming fruit juices during pregnancy is considered important and it should be included in the daily diet.
Adequate consumption of fluids during pregnancy helps in maintaining blood volume for the growth of the fetus as well as supports the levels of amniotic fluid in the body. Fruit juices also keep constipation away and improve the bowel movement. So, juices are a great addition when it comes to adding fluids to the daily diet(1).
As per the health experts, it is advisable to have a minimum of ten cups of fluids. This is apart from the consumption of water.
All in all, drinking healthy juices is not only beneficial for the pregnant mother, but also for the baby. Wondering which are the best fruit juices for you?
Read on to find out about 6 most delicious, mouth-watering, yet healthy pregnancy friendly juices that you can try at home now.
6 Best Juices for Pregnancy
1. Orange Juice
As we know, orange juice or any other citrus fruit juice is a rich source of vitamin C. It is loaded with antioxidant properties that help in boosting the immune system. Orange juice also adds potassium and sodium to the body, which balances the fluid levels.
This is not it; the vitamin B6 in orange juice leads to the healthy development of the brain of the fetus that makes it a crucial component in the diet. Also, this juice helps in increasing the urine’s pH value, which in turn protects the bladder and kidney.
If the pregnant mother is facing issues such as constipation, gut discomfort, and other stomach problems, the fiber content in orange juice helps in comforting and effectively treating these conditions(2).
- To prepare orange juice at home, you need two fresh oranges, peeled and sliced into small pieces.
- Add the orange slices to a blender.
- Now strain the juice.
- To add more sweetness, add raw honey as per your taste.
- It is recommended to have freshly made orange juice other than packaged and preserved ones.
2. Cranberry Juice
Cranberries contain 90% water and hydrate the body well. This fruit is packed with antioxidants that help in fighting inflammation. Drinking cranberry juice helps in boosting the immunity levels and maintains the gastrointestinal health by keeping bacteria away from the gut.
Moreover, it also shields the body from damage by free radicals. Some of the common health issues during the early stages of pregnancy include constipation and the high fiber content in cranberry juice treats this condition.
Other benefits of consuming cranberry juice include treatment of issues such as cavities, the formation of plaque, and tooth decay. Urinary tract infection is a common problem during pregnancy and drinking cranberry juice is an effective natural treatment for the same.
- Add cranberries in a large pan, add water, and boil them.
- Keep the flame of the gas low and let the cranberries boil until they turn mushy and open.
- Use a muslin cloth to strain the juice or you can also filter it using a strainer.
- If you find the juice a bit too sour, try adding a few drops of raw honey or sugar.
3. Prune Juice
Dietary fiber is essential during pregnancy. Prunes are a natural source of dietary fiber. They contain phenolic and sorbitol that helps in offering laxative benefits, which loosen stools and improve bowel movements. It is also known to manage constipation, which is a common problem among the majority of pregnant women.
Additionally, pregnant women who are low on iron can benefit from prune juice as it is a great source of iron and helps in preventing anemia. The potassium in prunes is great for managing depression, reducing stress levels and tension, and controlling high blood pressure.
During pregnancy, some women also experience pains and cramps, which can be effectively treated at home by drinking prune juice.
- All you need is a cup of dried prunes.
- Take four to five cups of water and add prunes to it.
- Boil them until the prunes are completely immersed in water.
- Soak these for 24 hours.
- Blend the prunes along with the water and strain the juice wither by using a strainer or with the help of a muslin cloth.
- You can have the juice fresh or keep it in the refrigerator and drink it later.
- Prune juice remains fresh for one week, if refrigerated.
4. Pomegranate Juice
You can have pomegranate juice if you want to stay hydrated and fulfill the calorie needs of the body. The vitamin K in pomegranate helps in strengthening the bones. It is also a great cure for blood clots.
Pomegranate is also a rich source of vitamin C that helps in repairing tissues, absorbing iron from consumed foods, and aiding the mental development of the baby. Moreover, pomegranate juice is packed with a high amount of fiber that combats constipation and effectively manages the bowel movement.
- It is simple to prepare pomegranate juice at home. You need pomegranate arils and blend these until they are completely crushed.
- Use a strainer to take out the juice.
- You can add a few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice to add some flavor to the juice.
- Have the pomegranate juice fresh.
5. Guava juice
One of the best juices for preventing as well as curing constipation issues is guava juice. The vitamin C in the fruit helps in improving the immunity system and metabolism. It manages the blood pressure effectively and keeps the levels maintained.
Most importantly, guava juice may also help in lowering the risks of premature births or miscarriage. Guava is also rich in vitamin A and magnesium wherein vitamin A is great for improving eyesight, magnesium helps in relaxing muscles and nerves(3).
- Take 2 guavas. Peel and slice them into small pieces.
- Put the pieces in a blender and add some water.
- You can also add raw honey to add sweetness to the juice.
- Use a strainer to strain the juice.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice or some finely chopped ginger to add more flavor.
- Drink the guava juice immediately, once prepared.
6. Beetroot Juice
Beetroot juice helps in improving hemoglobin levels, which in turn reduces the risk of anemia. It is loaded with vitamin C that supports the absorption of iron from the daily diet. The folic acid in beetroot supports fetal development and also reduced the risk of birth defects.
Beetroot contains betalain, which is loaded with anti-inflammatory properties and helps in reducing edema pain. The metabolism during pregnancy can be effectively regulated with the help of potassium content in beetroot.
Moreover, it is also packed with calcium that makes it an excellent choice for preventing the risk of osteoporosis. In short, beetroot juice is highly recommended for regulating the hemoglobin levels as well as the overall health of the fetus as well as the mother.
- Take two to three beetroots and wash them.
- Peel the beetroots and cut them into small pieces.
- Add them in a blender and blend until a smooth puree is made.
- You can add water and blend again to add more volume.
- Take one tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice and add it to the juice.
- Drink the beetroot juice fresh.
Pregnancy requires a proper, wholesome diet that consists of fluids as well as healthy meals. Fruit juices are not only just flavorsome but are also packed with numerous benefits. These juices are loaded with nutritional benefits including minerals and vitamins that form a crucial part of the pregnancy diet.
However, one should know which fruits to avoid in particular during pregnancy in order to stay away from any unforeseen condition. It is not advisable to drink packaged, unpasteurized fruit juices that may contain preservatives and artificial food colors that are harmful to the body.
That is why freshly made juices at home are the best choice. One should also avoid adding any type of essence, or hard sugars in the juices. Although these pregnancy friendly juices are great for the health, it is recommended to consult the doctor before adding anything to your regular diet. Remember, a wholesome diet is a great way to a healthy body and baby.