Our body secretes many useful and some waste substances, out of which the ear wax has to be one of the most mysterious and strange ones. What do you think can be a possible reason for this waxy substance which often becomes a reason for a clogged ear?
Ear wax acts as a protection device that is often under-appreciated for the work it does. This article will give you in-depth knowledge about ear wax, its causes, and symptoms along with natural remedies which will teach you how to remove ear wax conveniently.
Natural Treatments to Remove Ear Wax
What is ear wax?
Ear wax is a yellow-colored substance which acts as a protective layer for the ear canal. Ear canal prepares it, and it helps to prevent ear infections. The medical term for this naturally occurring body compound is cerumen. Made up of long-chain fatty acids, keratin,cholesterol, alcohols, and squalene the composition of ear wax is different for every person.
Every person produces ear wax in a definite proportion as lack of this sticky substance prevents proper functioning of the ear canal. Usually,ear wax generation is painless, but if left untreated for an extended period it may cause minor irritations which can gradually turn to become severe pains.
Types of ear wax
Research says that the kind of ear wax you have depends on the variation in your DNA that finds itself on the 16thchromosome. There are primarily two types of ear wax including:
Wet Ear Wax
It is sticky and yellowish-brown in color.
Dry Ear Wax
It exists in crumbles and is grey to tan in color. It appears ashy or flaky.
What causes excessive ear wax?
Ear wax generation is a natural and vital process of the human body. Some people tend to produce more wax in comparison to others. An excessive build-up of ear wax can occur for multiple reasons. One of the primary reasons for this problem is the use of cotton buds which press the wax to the inner parts of the ear canal.
However, there are several other potential reasons also for this excessive ear wax formation, including:
- Narrow or partially-formed ear canals
- Hard fixed wax
- Recurring ear infections
- Osteomata- a condition of bony growth inside the ear canal
- A lot of hair growth in the ear canals
- Natural aging which makes the ear wax drier
Ear Wax Build-up Symptoms
There are several symptoms of ear wax impaction which when treated at the starting stages can get away quickly. These include:
- A feeling of ear fullness
- Mild to severe pain
- Difficulty in hearing which may worsen with time
- Fluid discharge from the ear
- A strange ringing sensation in the ear
- An unusual odor from the ear
How to remove ear wax using Natural and Home Remedies?
You can find many people who think ear cleaning is a natural process and that the body is efficient enough to do that on its own. However, the truth is contrary to this thinking. Although the human body has its cleansing and excretion mechanism, as it is your body you should work to maintain its cleanliness.
Clean the outer part of the ear with a clean cloth. Visit a doctor for ear wax extraction in a painless manner. Use of cotton swab or bobby pin worsens the case as it pushes the wax in the inner sections of the ear. Earwax removers are also available in the market. Use them after prescription from a doctor. After learning about the causes and symptoms of ear wax, let’s move on to the crux of the article, i.e.,
how to remove ear wax. Apart from medical treatments to remove ear wax, there are also several natural and herbal treatments which help you get rid of ear wax easily. This article will help you explore some of the best foods, herbs, and essential oils and will teach you how to remove ear wax using these remedies.
1. How to clean ear wax with herbal remedies?
Use Mullein flowers to clean ear wax
How to use?
- Take a cup full of mullein flower and put it in a jar
- Cover it with olive oil
- Cover the pot with a lid if you are using dried herbs
- In case of fresh flowers cover the jar with a cheesecloth
- Heat the mix with oil thoroughly and place the jar in sunlight for two weeks
- Strain the oil out of it and store it in a glass bottle
- When using, warm it up in a water bath
- Put 2-3 drops in your ears and clean properly after it
- You can repeat this once in every month for clean ears
- Store the oil in a refrigerator for further use
Mullein flowers are rich in anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. These help to fight infection and helps to enhance the immunity adding up to your ear’s health. This oil also helps to fight any pre-existing infection in the ear.
Please check the temperature of the oil before putting it in. It should be bearable hot and not too hot so that your ears get burned.
2. How to unclog ear wax using essential oils?
Sometimes ear wax gets impacted in your ear canal. This situation can lead to hearing loss, ear infection, itching, and several other problems. Thankfully, an all natural solution to get rid of this ear wax is to try using the incredible essential oils. Some of the best essential oils to treat dry ear wax include:
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has immense potential to cure clogged ear. It has terrific antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties which kill infection-causing germs and provide you relief. A few drops of the oil can cut off the sticky wax build-up inside the ear.
Olive oil is a favorite culinary ingredient owing to its impressive health benefits. It also works wonder in case of earwax removal. It allows the wax to soften naturally so that it quickly drains out of your ears. To use this oil add a few drops of warm olive oil to your clogged ear before going to sleep. Make sure to keep the affected ear upwards while sleeping or else the oil will drain out on the pillow cover.
If there is one oil which has multiple health benefits, then it surely is lavender oil. This magical oil has magical effects on the human body and helps to cure a lot of issues conveniently. You can apply it to the inside of the ear gently with a finger. This process will break the wax and will give you relief from pain and heaviness.
Rosemary Oil and Eucalyptus Oil
Both the oils when used in combination helpt o treat ear pain instantly. They help to soften the ear wax relieving you from pain and inflammation. A few drops of eucalyptus oil helps to open the Eustachian tubes and drops of rosemary oil fights against the infection causing germs and bacteria.
Oregano oil helps to prevent ear wax naturally. It protects the ears from infections and always prevents ear clogging. With its regular use, you can avoid excessive ear wax generation in your ear.
How to clean ear wax with different methods using essential oils?
If you are thinking about how to remove ear wax by using the essential oils, then below are three unusual methods to apply for relief:
Method 1- Use a molten cream mix
- Four tbsp shea butter
- One tbsp olive oil
- Four drops of eucalyptus oil
- Four drops of rosemary oil
- Four drops of peppermint oil
- Four drops of lemon oil
- Double boiler
- Four oz. container
- In a double boiler allow the shea butter and olive oil to melt together
- Once liquefied, allow it to cool for a minute or two
- Now pour in the essential oils in this warm mixture
- Stir with the help of a chopstick or back of a spoon
- Leave this mixture to settle,or you can also store it in a refrigerator
- Warm the mix when you want to use it
- Put 2-3 drops of it in your ears and then drain it after 2-3 minutes
- You can also apply it over anear swab and apply it over the wax build up
Recipe 2- Essential oil mix
- One drop of tea tree oil
- One drop of chamomile oil
- Half a tbsp of olive oil
- Cotton balls
- Heat the olive oil in a pan toa state that it is just warm enough to the touch
- Dip a cotton ball in this warm oil
- Add a drop of essential oils to the same cotton ball
- Tape the ball to your ear but do not plug it inside deeply as the oil should not seep into the ear canal
Recipe 3- Steaming with essential oils
- A pot
- Three drops of tea tree oil
- Three drops of frankincense oil
- A soft towel
- Heat nearly three cups of water in the pan
- Allow the water to boil till becomes to steam
- Turn the fire off once the water is ready
- Place it on a table
- With the help of a towel, cover your head so that the steam doesn’t escape
- Now bring the affected ear close to the pot in a way that the steam goes inside the ear
- Let the steam do its magic for10-15 minutes
Precautions while using essential oils
- Always use diluted essential oils
- If you are using them for the first time, go for a patch test
- Using two or three drops may cause clogging, so wait for some time and assess the situation before adding more drops of oil inside
- Keep them away from the reach of kids and pets
- Use 100 percent pure essential oils from trusted suppliers
- Pregnant ladies should avoid using the essential oils before consulting their doctor
- Allergy-prone people should take advice from a doctor before using essential oils on their bodies
3. How to remove ear wax with home remedies?
These home remedies work wonder on the blocked ear and help to get relief for you from this sticky substance naturally.
Use of baking soda
Baking soda turns out effective in removing ear wax as a home remedy. You can use it by following the given steps:
How to use?
- To two ounces of warm water add half a tbsp of baking soda
- Put this mixture in a dropper bottle
- Tilt your head to the side and add 5 to 10 drops of the solution into your ear
- Allow the mixture to seep in and leave it for an hour
- Flush with water after an hour
- Do this once a day but do not exceed two consecutive weeks
Baking soda has antiseptic effects, and it helps to moisten the ear wax. Baking soda is also a very effective natural remedy that prevents any future buildup of the ear wax.
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is such an incredible kitchen ingredient that works wonders for many ailments. And you would be surprised to know that it helps to treat clogged ears too.
How to use?
- Mix apple cider vinegar and water in equal amounts
- Use this mixture to clear the ear wax
- Flush out the affected ear with this magical mixture which will give you quick relief from ear wax
Apple cider vinegar is replete with antibacterial properties that kill the germs residing in your canal. Its antifungal properties also help to keep fungal infections at bay. Its mild acidity helps to soften the wax and remove it with ease.
Use hydrogen peroxide
Get rid of ear wax using three percent hydrogen peroxide. Follow the given steps:
How to use?
- Mix 5-10 drops of hydrogen peroxide in 1 cup water and put it in your ears
- Leave it for five minutes
- Tilt your head towards gravity so that the extra liquid can come out
- Do it once a week
Hydrogen peroxide gets made by infusing oxygen in the water. Almost every organism produces hydrogen peroxide in response to an infection. Hence it acts as a natural disinfectant along with clearing the wax build up in the ear.
4. How to remove ear wax with natural remedies?
Flush the ear with lukewarm water. This process will soften the dark ear wax and allow it to move swiftly out of your ear.
Surprised how to remove ear wax with the help of salt in water? Well, don’t be as salt water works as useful on ear wax as any normal eardrop.
How to use?
- Mix a tbsp of salt in half a cup of water
- Soak a cotton ball in this solution and squeeze a few drops into your ear
- After a few minutes, clean the saline water from your ear with a cotton ball
Salt water has sodium and chloride in it that works as effective as any other remedy to soften the ear wax for removing it.
5. How to get rid of ear wax with the help of Conventional methods?
If you are wondering how to remove ear wax with irrigation, then hold on and read ahead as we are not joking! Ear irrigation helps to resolve the problem of ear wax by light pressure water flushing.
How to use?
- Purchase a soft rubber bulb
- Fill it with warm water
- Tilt your head to the side and place a thick towel below your affected ear
- Gently press the bulb, so that water shoots into your ear
- Allow the water to run down into the towel so that you can see any visible pieces of earwax on it
- Perform the process for 5-15minutes
Preventions and side effects of using natural remedies for ear wax problems
- While using all the natural resources be very sure that all the herbs,oils, and supplements are 100 percent original and are of good quality
- If upon using any of the treatments, you feel an allergic reaction on your skin including redness or itching then stop using it immediately
- Consult a doctor if you get any severe reactions like the fever
- Be particular about the quantity of natural herbs and oils while using them. Excess of them can oppositely affect your health
The ear canal cleans itself with the help of ear wax, making it a vital part of your body. Ear wax formation is a harmless condition and has a natural treatment. You can go to a doctor for help, or you can also try your hands on some easy and helpful natural home remedies.
This article educates you with various techniques concerning how to remove ear wax comfortably. Just like any other thing, an excess of ear wax formation is an excess of earwax formation is harmful to your ear health. So from the long list of remedies given in this article, choose your favorite method and get instant relief from the heaviness in your ear.