What if one day you wake up, open your eyes and cannot see a thing? Just the very thought is frightening, aint it? How about blocked or blurry vision? That doesn’t sound any better either. Well, that is exactly what eye floaters do.
They are tiny spots, or also called as ‘cobwebs’ that drift around in your field vision when you move your eyes, masking your vision. Microscopic fibers within the vitreous tend to clump and can cast tiny shadows on your retina. They are specks in your eye vision. They also appear as black floaters in the eye.
Eye floaters can be clumpy or stringy, light or dark. If you are wondering how to get rid of eye floaters, then read the natural remedies listed in this article. But before that let’s get on to the causes of eye floaters.
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Eye Floaters
What causes eye floaters?
Some of the causes of eye floaters are:
- Eye injury
- Due to Eye inflammation
- Eye floaters anxiety
- Eye floaters diabetes
- Due to a migraine headache
- Due to pregnancy
Eye floaters symptoms:
- Seeing flashes of light
- Losing peripheral vision or side vision
- Eye pain
- Loss of vision or blurred vision
- Darkness on any side or sides of your vision
- Small shapes or strings in the line of vision
- Spots which is noticeable when you look at a plain bright background
[Also Read: Natural Remedies to Treat Dry Eyes]
CURE 1. How to get rid of eye floaters with Food?
Eyes are a sensitive part of the human body. Good eye health starts with the food on your plates. Nutrients, lutein, zinc, calcium and main vitamins like A, C, and E are very important for good eye health can be the best answer for how to get rid of eye floaters.
Beetroots are the vital source of vitamins and beta-carotene that converts to vitamin A which is important for overall eye health and how to get rid of eye floaters.
How to use?
- Have fresh beetroots
- Obtain 1cup of fresh beetroot juice
- Consume a glass of fresh beetroot juice
- Consume this juice 3 to 5 per week for best results on how to get rid of eye floaters
Beetroot contains compounds like zeaxanthin and lutein which are great for retinal and macular health. Hence beetroot juice can treat constant eye floaters and floaters in one eye.
Below are the listed foods to eat and avoid to get rid of Eye Floaters:
|Foods to eat||
Foods to avoid
Green leafy vegetables
Spinach, kale, and collards.
Oranges and other citrus fruits
Oysters and pork
White bread and pastries
Fishes rich in proteins (tuna, salmon and other oily fish)
Eggs, nuts, beans
Nonmeat protein sources
Sweet potatoes and carrots for beta-carotene
[Also Read: Honey to Treat Pink Eye]
CURE 2. How to get rid of eye floaters with herbs?
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a natural home remedy to protect eye health. It combines ingredients with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. After these properties are absorbed, they help protect and improve eye health by putting an end to eye floaters.
How to use it?
- Consume a cup of Aloe Vera juice
- You can place Aloe Vera on your eyes once in a day
- Consume this juice once daily and place it 3-4 times a week for good results
The fast healing properties of Aloe Vera can have the fastest effect on eye floaters by having its antioxidant potential which can repair damaged tissues and by improving your vision. Thus it will be the best answer for constant eye floaters and dark eye floaters.
It is recommended to use the fresh gel of Aloe Vera extracted from the leaf for any topical solutions. Make sure to use within a day after plucking from the leaf for the best results.
[Also Read: Natural Remedies for Eye Twitching]
2. Grape seed extract
The grape seed extract is rich in antioxidants. These are substances that can protect cells from damage and may help prevent many eye floater issues.
How to use it?
- Have dry grape seeds
- Consume 100mg of grape seed supplements
- Consume it 2-3 times a week
The extract of grape seed is good for the eye floaters which is rich in phytochemicals. It has antihistamine and antioxidant properties which are good for the all-round health of the eyes and sudden eye floaters.
CURE 3. Essential Oils For Eye Floaters
1. Frankincense oil
Frankincense oil is rich in antioxidant properties that can help stimulate collagen properties and regenerate new healthy cells. It reduces eye floaters, swelling, inflammation, puffiness, and redness on the eyes.
How to use it?
- Take a drop of frankincense essential oil and spread it between your fingers
- Apply this above your eyebrows and across the top of your cheekbones
- Do this 1 to 2 times daily for better results on how to get rid of eye floaters
Frankincense essential oil possesses anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties that help in reversing retinal cell degradation, damage, and thus helping on how to get rid of eye floaters.
CURE 4. Home Remedies for Eye Floaters?
1. Coconut oil
How to use it?
- Have a teaspoon of coconut oil and rub it in between your palms
- By closing your eyelids place over your palms over them
- Keep your hands over your eyes for 5 to 10mins
- Do it 1 to 2 times daily for good results
Coconut oil contains good benefits and is medium-chain fatty acids that help in reducing inflammation and oxidative stress caused by free radicals. It can repair retinal and macular tissues, thus combating dark eye floaters.
Always look of organic and natural coconut oil for application on the eye. Coconut oil is very safe for topical use but do a patch test if you have sensitive skin.
2. Green tea and honey
How to use it?
- Add a spoon of green tea to a cup of water
- Boil in a saucepan and simmer for 5minutes
- Strain and let them cool a bit
- Add some honey to the green tea and consume
- Do this 2-3 times daily for best results
Green is an exception for eye floaters where caffeine is a restricted one. It is rich in antioxidants that can help improve your vision and strengthening retinal tissues by giving the best inference for eye floaters pregnancy and how to get rid of eye floaters.
CURE 5. Alternative Treatments For Eye Floaters?
1. Massage and exercise yourself
Massage and exercise have a remarkable natural effect on eye floaters and can give the best solution without using any samples.
How to do?
- Cover your eyes with the warm cloth and massage your temples gently
- Rub your hands together to generate heat and place them over your eyelids
- Roll eyes in the circular motion clockwise and anticlockwise
- Repeat 1 to 2 times a day for best natural results on how to get rid of eye floaters
An eye massage can gently reduce stress in the eye and temples. Muscles around the eyes are relaxed with heat and compression to alleviate soreness. It can eradicate eye floaters’ stress.
CURE 6. How to get rid of eye floaters with Supplements?
Vitamins for eye floaters
Vitamins are essential for eye health. Vitamin A is known to support eye health. Vitamin C supports the building of collagen, which makes the retina capillaries stronger and supports proper nourishment for the eye. It can help prevent floaters by keeping the eye healthy. Taurine acts as an antioxidant and supports the body’s ability to get rid of waste products.
Flaxseed oil is an essential oil which when used daily in tandem with lubricating eye drops like coconut oil it can appear to reduce dark eye floaters including burning, stinging, redness and intermittent visual disturbances.
How to use it?
- Have a teaspoon of flaxseed oil and rub it in between your hands
- Close your eyelids and place over them
- Apply it above your eyebrows and over your cheekbones and leave it on overnight by having few drops of flaxseed oil
- Do it 3-4 times a week for good results on how to get rid of eye floaters
Flaxseed oil is associated and rich in the presence of omega 3 fatty acids in it. Omega 3 fatty acids are great in promoting eye health. Thus flaxseed oil can help in treating constant eye floaters.
Always use the essential oils by mixing with a carrier oil. Do not apply it directly as it may cause inflammation. Doing a patch test is the best to avoid inflammation of the eyebrows and the eye.
As discussed above, eye floaters are curable but only if you precisely follow remedies. While pursuing these remedies, make sure you keep all the precautions in mind because one mistake can make the condition even worst. The natural and home remedies for how to get rid of eye floaters are discussed and are wondrously beneficial and leave no side effects on the skin and eyes.
However, if inflammation and allergies persist and become more painful over time, make sure to consult with a physician. I hope your search on how to get rid of eye floaters ends here.
1. How long do floaters in the eye last?
There is no specific time for the floaters to last. It could take a month or sometimes up to six months. The floaters get gradually smaller and less noticeable. However, they do not permanantly disappear.
2. Can stress cause floaters?
Yes, stress is a definite factor to cause floaters. When caused by stress, one also experiences mild blurry vision.
3. Can lack of sleep cause eye floaters?
Lack of sleep has an adverse effect on your overall eye health. However, eye floaters are not one of them. Additionally, loss of sleep can cause dry eyes, dark circles and spasms in your eyes.