Do you experience tossing and turning in the bed, unable to sleep all night due to a congested chest? Yes, we all surely relate to these nightmares thinking as to how to get rid of chest congestion and relieve yourself with this heavy load over the chest.
Chest congestion is a condition which if not taken proper care can trouble you. Well, don’t panic anymore and learn about what does chest congestion feel like as we have a handful of useful remedies that you can practice right at your home.
What is Chest congestion?
Chest congestion and cough occur when one’s lungs and respiratory tract gets clogged with mucus that traps the unwanted dust, bacteria, and allergens. The minute hairs known as cilia transport the mucus in the direction of the throat from where it could be coughed out.
But at times, these particles irritate our membranes and results in inflammation and produces extra mucus. It causes an issue in breathing, introduces a deep pin penetrating pain in the chest, mainly while taking a deep breath. Also, it induces a heavy feeling over the chest.
What are chest congestion causes?
- It causes because of chronic sinusitis
- Allergies, asthma, and cold often cause this issue
- Bacterial or viral infection, sensitive nose membranes
What are the chest congestion symptoms?
- Burning, heaviness or tightness in the chest along with a feeling of pressure in the chest
- Dizziness or weakness
- Shortness of breath or a cold sweat
- Severe pain in the chest, back, neck, jaw, and hands
- Coughing, vomiting, and nausea
How to get rid of chest congestion problem?
1. How to get rid of chest congestion with foods?
Are you thinking how to get rid of chest congestion with foods all the time? It is a very useful and beneficial way through which you can treat the congestion from within.
How to use?
- Cut one onion and extract its juice
- add one teaspoon of honey
- Also, add one teaspoon water and half teaspoon honey into it
- Mix it all correctly and heat it for a while
- Consume it three times a day
Onion contains Quercetin which exterminates mucus and also avoids further build-up of it. Onion also has anti-microbial properties, which prevent infections. It tastes bitter if consumed at the concentrated level hence dilute it.
Onions have excellent anti-inflammatory properties that help to relieve the chest from congestion. It also acts on the pain caused due to blockage. It is also beneficial for baby chest congestion and chest congestion during pregnancy.
Foods to eat
Eat fibrous foods and aromatic spices like-
Foods to avoid
Avoid junk foods and oily food as they aggravate the condition and enhances the infection.
2. How to get rid of chest congestion with herbs?
How to use?
- Take 2-3 teaspoons of thyme and soak it in 1 cup of boiling water
- Cover the pot with a lid and let it stay for 1-2 minutes
- Strain the tea and drink it sip by sip when hot
- Consume it twice in a day
The herb of thyme has anti-microbial properties that help to reduce the infection in the chest. The expectorant nature of thyme makes it one amongst the best tea for chest congestion.
Make Turmeric paste
How to use?
- Take a bowl and add a half teaspoon of turmeric
- To it add ½ teaspoon of black pepper and one teaspoon honey
- Mix it well to form a paste
- Take it in a spoon and slowly lick it and eat
- Repeat the process as required
How to get rid of chest congestion is a question asked by many! Black pepper is a popular decongestant and a beneficial expectorant whereas the anti-bacterial properties of turmeric make it an excellent healing agent. This mixture will relieve you of the discomfort caused due to a sore throat and chest congestion fast.
Make fenugreek tea
How to use?
- Take one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds and soak it in water overnight
- Strain the liquid and then heat it up
- Add honey and drink it with slow but frequent sips
- You can have this tea twice a day until you get a relief
To relieve a sore throat and chest congestion, drinking fenugreek tea works well. Its seeds have anti-inflammatory properties that work head on to clear the blockage in the respiratory tract. Also, these wonder seeds get possessed with anti-microbial properties that help to eliminate the infection that causes the congestion.
Heat the teas to a temperature that you can bear to drink. It is advisable to handle turmeric and black pepper with care and does not let them enter your eye as it may cause intense irritation.
3. How to use essential oils for chest congestion?
Use eucalyptus essential oil
How to use?
- Take 3-4 drops of eucalyptus essential oil and one teaspoon of castor oil
- Put it in a bowl and mix it properly
- Apply this mix on the chest and around the nose and massage it well
- You can keep it for a couple of hours
Eucalyptus essential oil has strong anti-inflammatory properties that start to clear the chest congestion right from the time it gets inhaled. It helps to reduce the mucus build-up, and its anti-microbial nature fights the infection of your body relieving you from the sinus and chest congestion. You can use it to treat toddler chest congestion as well.
Eucalyptus oil has a powerful aroma, hence handle it properly. Do not apply it directly and dilute it with a carrier oil for application.
4. How to relieve chest congestion with home remedies?
Use Apple cider vinegar for chest congestion
How to use?
- Take one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and add one cup warm water into it
- Mix it well and then gargle with it
- You can repeat this process twice a day for better results
Wondering how to get rid of chest congestion with apple cider vinegar? The anti-inflammatory properties of vinegar help to fight off the phlegm and help to get relief from the chest congestion. The warmth provided by the warm water makes it easier for the mucus to come out.
Salt water gargle
How to use?
- Take one teaspoon of salt and dissolve it in 1 cup of warm water
- Stir till it dissolves completely
- Gargle with the mix and let it stay on your throat for sometime
- You can repeat this process multiple times in a day
Warm salt water helps to dilute the phlegm from the back of the throat and eases the mucus separation from the throat and chest for removal. By doing gargles, the mucus sticking in our throat gets dissolved in water. It is also beneficial for chest congestion cough. Don’t swallow the gargled water at all, and pour it out after swishing for 1-3 minutes.
Check the temperature of the gargle water and use only that is bearable to avoid burning your tongue and mouth.
5. How to clear chest congestion with natural remedies?
Use a mustard poultice
How to use?
- Take 1/4th cup of mustard powder and mix it with 1 cup flour
- Slowly add hot water into it and make a smooth paste
- Now apply little olive oil or coconut oil over your chest
- Take a big piece of cloth and dip it in hot water and wring out the excess water
- Place it over your chest and spread the mustard and flour paste over it
- Take another piece of cloth of the same size and wet it too with hot water
- Wring the excess water out and place it over the previous fabric containing the paste
- Keep it for 15 minutes and remove it followed by washing off your chest properly
- You can repeat it once in two days
If you are seeking a robust solution for how to get rid of chest congestion, then making a mustard poultice is the one for you. Mustard is a potent stimulator and enhances the blood circulation in the chest region. It also causes perspiration that helps in clearing up and relieving chronic chest congestion immediately.
After applying this poultice if you feel any discomfort or burning sensation over your chest, then remove it immediately and wash your chest with warm water.
Soak in an Epsom salt bath
How to use?
- Take a cup of Epsom salt and add it to your bathtub filled with warm water
- Soak yourself in it for 15-20 minutes
- Then wash with plain water
- You can repeat this daily till you get a relief
- In case you don’t have a bathtub add it to a warm water bucket and use
Epsom salt has a beneficial property to pull out toxins from the body and helps the joints and muscles to relax. The warmth of water acts as a decongestant to relieve the discomfort in your chest.
6. Conventional methods to relieve chest congestion
- Apply a camphor infused vapor rub over your chest at night before you sleep
- Use a heating pad over your chest with a mild temperature for chest congestion without a cough
- Elevate your head while sleeping. It is beneficial for newborn chest congestion or infant chest congestion
- The best and most effective way is to moisturize your nose and breathing track by the humidifier. One important thing is to clean your humidifier correctly. An unclean humidifier can cause chest congestion allergies
- Steam inhalation also works wonders for nasal and chest congestion. You can also add peppermint essential oil in it for better results
- Try to take liquids diet during chest congestion. Drinking water at regular interval of time helps to loosen up the mucus and eases chest congestion pain
How to get rid of chest congestion is a common question and generation of a cough and mucus a natural thing, but their halt depends on how one lives. Many doctors suggest that its production can minimize by attaining a healthy lifestyle. Regular walking and physical exercise powers up the lungs. It is recommended to quit smoking and drink plenty of water. Chest congestion is more prone to lazy guys, so don’t be one. Eat healthy to remain healthy.