Whether you are singer, radio jockey or perhaps a politician, a sore throat could be your Sore throat is especially common in children between the ages of 5 and 15 years. But here’s what you can do instead of dropping in at the doctor’s clinic for a prescription- use garlic instead, and that soreness will go away in just a day or two.
Read on to find out more about how to use garlic for sore throat.
Ways of Using Garlic for Sore Throat
1. Raw Garlic Clove
Garlic(1) is highly antiseptic, which makes it indispensable for fighting against harmful bacteria in the throat. Chewing on fresh garlic helps to provide relief from sore throat and nasal congestion. Here’s how you can have raw garlic to cure a sore throat.
- Take 3-4 cloves of fresh and raw garlic.
- Peel the garlic cloves and crush them to prepare a smooth paste.
- Set aside the paste for about 10-15 minutes. The paste reacts with oxygen in the air and gets oxidized to release the compound allicin.
- Eat this garlic paste with a cup of warm water. You can eat it without water as well, to avoid the burning sensation.
Take the paste with water about twice or thrice a day daily. You can also chew on raw cloves of garlic throughout the day to get relief from a sore throat, coughing fits, congestion, and other respiratory problems.
[Also Read: Natural Remedies for Sore Throat]
2. Garlic and Honey
The blend of garlic and honey is one of the most effective ways of using garlic for sore throat(2). Honey contains anti-inflammatory compounds which cure inflammation and inhibit bacterial action. The properties of garlic and honey combine to fight against throat irritation, swelling, and soreness. Honey contains glucose-oxidase compounds, which is suitable for the natural treatment of strep infection as well.
- Crush 2-4 cloves of raw garlic to prepare a smooth and thick paste.
- Add a tablespoon of raw honey to the paste and mix well.
- Take the syrup thrice a day before every meal to soothe the pain and irritation.
The garlic syrup and honey act as an expectorant and aids in the expulsion of excessive mucus as well.
[Also Read: Natural Drinks For Sore Throat]
3. Garlic and Ginger Tea
Ginger possesses potent anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which are incredibly beneficial for the natural treatment of inflammation and infection in the throat. The combination of ginger and garlic acts as an effective relief from pain, swelling, and bacterial infection.
- Crush a few cloves of raw garlic into a smooth paste. Also, crush an inch-size piece of ginger and make a paste.
- Combine the paste of ginger and garlic to prepare a pungent mixture.
- Add the mixture to a hot cup of tea and stir thoroughly.
Why Use Garlic for Sore Throat?
Garlic for sore throat is one of the most effective home remedies that you can administer at home without having to bear the brunt of any adverse side effects. Check out the reasons why garlic is good for the natural treatment of respiratory problems like sore throat, persistent cough, runny nose, chest congestion, and more.
- Garlic contains allicin, which is a potent biochemical compound that can kill germs like bacteria and virus, which inflict infection in the throat.
- Garlic possesses powerful immune-stimulating effects which can prepare the immune system to fight against microbes and heal the infection in the throat.
- Garlic consists of natural essential oils which provide powerful expectorant and decongestant properties that work to disintegrate the mucus and get rid of it, thus giving relief from blocked nose, and chest congestion.
- Chewing raw garlic provides instant relief from throat irritation and pain.
Sore throat and other respiratory troubles are quite common. Most people resort to popping in pills that could be harmful. A better alternative would be to use over-the-counter drugs and start taking garlic for sore throat for instant relief from pain and irritation.
1. How to Use Raw Garlic for a Sore Throat?
You can either chew on crushed cloves of garlic or combine it with ingredients like honey, ginger, lemon, milk, apple cider vinegar, and licorice for the natural treatment of sore throat.
2. What Can Other Home Remedies Be Used for Treating a Sore Throat?
You can try the following home remedies for sore throat:
- Marshmallow root drink
- Throat spray of sage and echinacea
- Gargle with salt water
- Drink ginger root tea, and many more.